Cdma, How Much Total Cost, Booster And Stability?

dollarman

How long is the lock in period, or period that you have to pay the 850 bath a month? Not the most expensive wireless stick(10k ish)..

Where can I get an external antenna or booster if the signal is not strong enough at my place?

Is there any difference in stability or speed between the different usb modems?

Are they super stable if the signal is strong, for example 4 bars?

Edited by dollarman

You can cancel from month to month, i have had 1 for years (CAT) works fine, in phuket that is, you can go and buy 1 and give it back the same day if it don’t work, they told me it did not work where i was but it worked fine, i think CAT has booster as well, outdoor antenna, yes some of the old USB sticks are slow

Hi, Ive been using a MC727 USB modem for some time now , over all happy with it , its connected to an external roof antenna that was supplied by the CAT office where I bought the modem from, with the external antenna connected I get a full signal , I think it depends how far you are from a CAT CDMA Tower as to the reception . have a look here ...

lots of info , here's a shot of the CAT supplied external roof antenna at my place ..

CAT-ant-1.jpg

The top antenna is the CAT CDMA and the bottom one is a Dtac mobile phone antenna

here's a shot of the external antenna before installation...

msg-37178-1240575711_thumb.jpg

and the details shown on the antenna box ..

DSC05153.jpg

here's a shot of the MC727 USB Modem and the external roof antenna coaxial connection ..

msg-39494-1230778779_thumb-1.jpg

if you do but an external antenna , make sure you get the right small '' pig tail '' connection lead that plugs into the modem the one CAT supplied to me was the wrong one and I ended up buying the correct one off eBay .

TL

You can cancel from month to month, i have had 1 for years (CAT) works fine, in phuket that is, you can go and buy 1 and give it back the same day if it don't work, they told me it did not work where i was but it worked fine, i think CAT has booster as well, outdoor antenna, yes some of the old USB sticks are slow

I thought you had to pay for 1 year or something when you signed a contract.. are you sure it is not like this.

I am sure, but again i signed years ago, also if you go overseas just tell them you will be gone for x months then open again when you come back, easy and no problems

with tax its 845.30, just paid mine again.

You can cancel from month to month, i have had 1 for years (CAT) works fine, in phuket that is, you can go and buy 1 and give it back the same day if it don't work, they told me it did not work where i was but it worked fine, i think CAT has booster as well, outdoor antenna, yes some of the old USB sticks are slow

I thought you had to pay for 1 year or something when you signed a contract.. are you sure it is not like this.

i got CAT on koh phanngan with the mifi wireless router.

i am not locked into any contract and can turn it on or off from month to month when i am around.

You've already made you premium deposit with CAT when you buy the compulsory hardware USB device which cost well over 8000THB a piece last year at least. After that you can cancel any time from monthly access fee.

You've already made you premium deposit with CAT when you buy the compulsory hardware USB device which cost well over 8000THB a piece last year at least. After that you can cancel any time from monthly access fee.

The initial payment is 6500baht and the first three months no other payments are required. This payment includes the purchase of the usb stick which installs automatically.

I have it and am quite impressed at the speed and how stable it is.

No. ToT has contracts. CAT CDMA there i no contracts.

I went to their office in phuket and they had 3 modems. 3000, 6000, 9000 bht is the mifi modem, but that one has no promotion. 3000 is their EC150 with sim card. 6000 is a novatel brand but no sim card. But the give you free unternet until end of august (now it might be end of sept). I can go to bangkok or pattaya and switch out with hutch cdma sim card so i think for price and flexibility, the 3000 bht modem is the best value.

You can turn off and on your service anytime at the office. They have temporary suspension and permanent suspension options. with taxes, it is 845 bht / mo for unlimited internet. I leave my internet on continuously on my laptop.

They will ask you to bring in your laptop and will verify it works before you walk out of the building. Modem is mac friendly :) I stay near the grand paradise hotel and get 3-4 bars in my room on 4th floor EVDO. But practically speaking, i can get 1-2Mbps download speeds.