Travel Advice From Bangkok To Nakhon Phanom

noworries

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice for travel from Bangkok to Na thom in Nakhon Phanom. I am going there to look for my ex-girlfriend whom i've lost contact with recently. I had visited bangkok recently to look for her at her rented apartment but was unable to locate her even though it was still leased out to her. I was lucky enough to meet one of her friends recently and was told that she had gone back to her village in Na thom in Nakhon Phanom. As such, i am planning to go over there to look for her.

I'm planning to fly into BKK and that's where the confusion begins. I have had friends advise me to take a long distance taxi to Nakhon Phanom. There is also the usual way of a long distance bus trip (11 hours) or flying to Nakhon Phanom (by Nok Air). I'm not sure which option is the best due to either the time factor or the costs involved.

By bus or plane, I should end up in Nakhon Phanom city. But her village is out of the city by almost 1 hr 45 mins. The last time i bought her a ticket back to her hometown, it was from BKK to Udon Thani and then she took a taxi back from there. (the cab journey took about 3 hours, if i remember correctly.)

I have also considered flying into nearby provinces and travelling by cab from there (udon thani or sakhon nakhon) to nakhon phanom. But as my mastery of the thai language is not fantastic, i'm not sure if it would be a big problem arranging the transport into Nakhon Phanom.

Any kind people familiar with this area of thailand and its transportation services, kindly advise on this matter. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone with any advice or help?

It would be greatly appreciated.

I think you may not have had any replies as it is not clear what your priorities are in terms of the information you seek.

If money is no problem and time is limited then just book with Nok and take their flight to Nakhon Phanom and then a taxi from the airport straight from the airport to Na Thom. Alternatively, a taxi into town to the bus station and then bus to Na Thom. You can check the price of the Nok flight and I would suggest expect to pay 1000+ for the taxi but I really have no idea not having flown there.

If you want to save money then take a VIP bus from Mo Chit overnight to NP and then a local bus to Na Thom. All up that would cost you less than 1000.

I am not sure why anyone would recommend taking a taxi from BKK to NP when it would cost you more than a return flight and you would be more comfortable in a VIP bus for a 20th of the price.

Whatever you decide give yourself at least some time to look around the area as there are some nice spots, esp by the river.

Thank you for the advice. I am considering the flight from bkk to nakhon phanom and then taxi to na thom. I am however slightly concerned with the language barrier because my thai language is not great at all. I'm trying to get a friend from bkk to go with me but that's not confirmed yet.

Also, does anyone know of accomodation in na thom? I can't seem to find any online. Only can find hotels at nakhon phanom city.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

According to this site:

http://www.siamtaxitour.com/ttaxi.html

The return trip by taxi will cost you 11,500 THB. So forget it.

Coach or Nok are easy, reasonable price and recommended for Nakhon Phanom but the real problem lies at your destination, Na Thom.

I don't think there is a tourism development of any kind in Na Thom, hence less likely that someone would start an accommodation service. You could hire a "Skylab", a modified motorbike with passenger seats but then again it is unlikely that they will be happy to take you that far.

I would recommend that you try Van + driver for Hire. I've googled two for you, the pages are in Thai so just call 'n ask them.

Nakorn Phanom:

Khun Atip 087-228-0604

Udonthani:

08-2899-0949 / 08-1578-1113

They've got a few photos of the van here

http://th.88db.com/A...ntal/ad-599568/

Price they qoute normally fuel excluded.

Google maps coordinates of Na Thom: 17.834869,104.05391

Good luck with your adventure and if you found her make sure you come back and write us the story.

I live 45 mins outside NP, if you can afford it don`t consider any other option than flying from BKK to NP Nok Air is now cheaper than PB Air used to be also. I`m not sure of local hotels in the area you are going but I can tell you there is a great hotel called i-Hotel in NP that is almost brand new for around 500 Baht a night with wi-fi its the best place I have stayed at there. One issue you might have is getting a taxi at NP airport I`ve never seen any there on all my trips http://www.ihotel.co.th/

If you want a number for a good driver I used in the past who has a decent pick up in NP, PM me and I`ll get his number off the wife he speaks decent English also which might help you.

Hope that helps.

Edited by InSiSongkram

• 1 month later...

My situation has changed drastically now. I was not able to travel to Nakhon Phanom to look for her as I was unable to get my Thai-speaking friend to go along with me on that journey. As such, I ended up going to BKK and Pattaya with another friend. As it was our first trip to Pattaya, we had a walk around Walking Street and of course had a look around the massage joints that were there.

This is where the situation turned on its head. At one of the massage joints, I actually saw my ex-gf working at the place. She saw and recognised me and she ran off to take cover in the girls changing / dressing room. I tried to no avail to speak to her. The captain asked her 3 times but she refused to come out to speak to me. I then told the captain to pass her a message that I was going off and that she could come out and continue working. As such, I went out and waited for my friend to finish his round before going off. Well enough of my story telling, to the point now i guess.

I want to help her get out of the situation she is in. I do not know the reason why she is working in this line again (she was a legal pro in SG previously but had already left after 8 months here). I know that things could have changed alot for her from the time we finished up to now, and that is why she is back in this business again. But I want to help her get out of it. I plan to write her a letter and post to my driver / guide in Pattaya and request his help in passing it to the captain at the massage joint and hopefully, to her.

Questions that i have are:

Will she be able to return to SG (if ever at all) after having worked here before as a legal pro?

What can I do to help my case that I'm serious about her and really want to be together with her whether in SG or not?

I really want to be able to talk to her and prove my sincerity. However, this seems to be the only way i have of communicating with her. As such, I would like to maximise this opportunity so I really would appreciate any help or advice that I can get.

Much gratitude in advance.

Anyone with any advice or help?

It would be greatly appreciated.

best option, flight PB air , direct bkk - nkp .nok air not do.

take a taxi from swampy to mochit bus station, and bus it up .

over nite bus is best ,comfortable , nine hours.

FORGET TAXI . exspensive rip off .

in nakhon , you be better off hiring a car /motor bike .

if you can find one , for hire .

p.s. i think you have a very difficult task ,

little english soken in nakhon .