Policeman Kills 2 Over Red Light

george

Policeman kills 2 over red light

CHIANG MAI: -- A traffic police officer yesterday shot dead two traffic offenders at an intersection in Chiang Mai’s Fang district after a heated argument before a crowd, before injuring himself in an apparent suicide attempt, police said.

Pol Sen Sgt-Major Pisit Parami, 49, of Fang district police station, was in critical condition after shooting himself in the head, apparently in a bid to escape punishment.

Witnesses said Pisit was directing traffic at the intersection in Tambon Wiang and helping students of Ban Wiang Fang School cross the road when a pick-up truck ran a red light.

Three people were in the pick-up: driver Sawangjit Mannut, 44; Pongsak Napasri, 45, who sat next to the driver; and Wanna Teya, 20, an employee of Sawangjit’s sitting in the pick-up’s cab.

Pisit flagged down the truck and admonished the three for running the light. The three argued with the officer, saying they were in a rush to sell goods at a weekend market in Mae Ai district.

After warning the three, Pisit walked back to his motorcycle. Pongsak angrily shouted at Pisit, loudly insulting him by referring to him as just a low-ranking officer. Pongsak warned the officer that he had connections who could transfer him out of his jurisdiction, witnesses said.

Pisit turned around and said: “You’re angry, but I’m also bold enough to get angry,’’ before taking out his pistol and shooting Pongsak and Sawangjit three times each. The pair died at the scene.

Shocked, Wanna jumped out of the pick-up and pleaded for her life. Ignoring her, Pisit shot her twice. She was in critical condition and is being treated in intensive care.

Witnesses said Pisit then pointed the gun at his own head and fired. The shootings were seen by hundreds of passers-by and onlookers.

Fang district police refused to release details of the incident.

Fifth Region Police commissioner Lt-General Panupong Singhara na Ayuthaya called a meeting of Traffic Police from every station in Chiang Mai for today.

--The Nation 2005-06-29

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I must say that if a policeman gunned down three people and then tried to commit suicide in the West, it would be national news and serious questions would be raised about training and carrying guns, etc.

On the other hand:

Obviously, the guy had reached his limit, and it might not be his fault.

Not saying its unique in thailand it surely isnt.

But I am sure you will agree Thais can be noticeably deeply self destructive when blinded by temper etc.

Or is it just me and my experience?

Thai temper rage,very dangerous,is it unique to thais or all of asia?.

:D

Of course, people outside of Thailand or Asia don't have temper rage :o

Not saying its unique in thailand it surely isnt.

But I am sure you will agree Thais can be noticeably deeply self destructive when blinded by temper etc.

Or is it just me and my experience?

:D

Well, yes, that is the question you clearly asked... :o

But, I sure agree with your expansion of that question. Some Thais are like ticking time-bombs. And so are most folks who suppress emotions for too long... Hence, the phrase, "going postal" in reference to American postal workers who've also gone off the deep end...

Still, I prefer the outward civility from most Thais, as opposed to those in my home country who prefer otherwise.. :D

But I must say that if a policeman gunned down three people and then tried to commit suicide in the West, it would be national news and serious questions would be raised about training and carrying guns, etc.

On the other hand:

If everyone in Western countries ran red lights willy-nilly there might be something said about that as well.

This news item will be featured in "Thailand Today"

Forwarded message from Felix, Radio Bangkok:

This news item will be featured in "Thailand Today" on Radio Bangkok today at 17:00 (rebroadcasted at midnight 24:00 and tomorrow morning 05:00.

Please tune in!

/Felix Lynn

On the other hand:

plus its lucky none of the onlookers got shot :D

and than the police refuse to provide further details, this is a real scandal and its definitly not a great confidence booster for tourists thinking to visit thailand, which already suffering badly enough :o

maybe the pm, whois from chiang mai, should make a public statement about this :D

I am certainly not saying the cops actions were justified. But cut the guy a little slack there is plenty of blame to go around. These bone heads were running a red light – were school children were crossing no less. Then they choose to pick a fight with an armed policeman.

On the other hand the story indicates he shot the two in the cab three times each, and then shot the one in the back of the truck twice. Eight shots? Do the Thai standard issue’s hold eight rounds or did this guy actually reload?

I am certainly not saying the cops actions were justified.  But cut the guy a little slack there is plenty of blame to go around.  These bone heads were running a red light – were school children were crossing no less.  Then they choose to pick a fight with an armed policeman. 

On the other hand the story indicates he shot the two in the cab three times each, and then shot the one in the back of the truck twice.  Eight shots?  Do the Thai standard issue’s hold eight rounds or did this guy actually reload?

Cops are also carrying 9mm guns :o

I don't think I could any slack to anyone shooting someone else because they felt insulted by a signal runner.

I am certainly not saying the cops actions were justified.  But cut the guy a little slack there is plenty of blame to go around.  These bone heads were running a red light – were school children were crossing no less.  Then they choose to pick a fight with an armed policeman. 

On the other hand the story indicates he shot the two in the cab three times each, and then shot the one in the back of the truck twice.  Eight shots?  Do the Thai standard issue’s hold eight rounds or did this guy actually reload?

Police here supply there own firearms,Glock 9mm is popular and has a magazine capacity of 17 rounds.

Police here supply there own firearms,Glock 9mm is popular and has a magazine capacity of 17 rounds.

but that does not give them a licence to kill minor traffic offenders :D

all he had to do was ask for more enforcement :o

I have never seen two cops carrying the same gun yet. Not when they have been together anyway. I think they may buy their own weapons.

all he had to do was ask for more enforcement :o

He was justified in doing what he did. He was made to lose face in front of several members of the public who were onlookers.

all he had to do was ask for more enforcement :D

He was justified in doing what he did. He was made to lose face in front of several members of the public who were onlookers.

1st pathetic comment :o Is murder justified for losing face? Rubbish.

On the other hand:

2nd stupid comment. :o

Was it an accident then?

TokyoT

I am certainly not saying the cops actions were justified. But cut the guy a little slack there is plenty of blame to go around. These bone heads were running a red light – were school children were crossing no less. Then they choose to pick a fight with an armed policeman.

On the other hand the story indicates he shot the two in the cab three times each, and then shot the one in the back of the truck twice. Eight shots? Do the Thai standard issue’s hold eight rounds or did this guy actually reload?

3rd stupid comment. :o

Cut slack? He ran a red light so he's justified to shoot 3 people? Would you say that if you knew them?

He should rot in h e l l.

And yes they buy their own guns, Glocks are popular, Also Colt 45's & Beretta's hold 15, 16 shots.

Edited by davethailand

do police departments in thailand hire psychiatrists to treat the officers....chk their mental status n stuff like i suppose they do in the west>?

if not then i guess this would be the best time to start.....

the guys actions are not at all justified...but i guess he was too frustrated....insulted,...threatned....etc.....

these things regularly happen in my home country.....and if a police officer was stupid enough to shoot an offender for just some insults it would mean ###### for the ministers n stuff...just one such public incident would trigger a mass political movement.....

not in thailand the other ppl r all with the mai bpen rai attitude on the surface increasing their internal frustation level...i guess if things go on as they are going this wouldnt remain a LOS....

:o

I bet alot of these meltdowns come from living in such big city. People stacked on top of people will drive some people nuts, no matter what race you are.

Also, I think Thais let their mouths run away. My wife has got a bad mouth, if she doesn't like who she is working with she'll just tell them, "I don't like you" and then tell them why! Most of her freinds are like that as well.

However, most of the time they are all very nice and friendly, it's just at times, the wrong times, they run off at the mouth.

Well, once again, you all guys are complaining about the politics or the culture or the way of thinking or, or, or ... then I really wonder why you're still living here ?

By the way, did anyone of you mentioned that 2 ( or maybe 4 ) people died ?

Wow, honestly there is nothing that can be said about these actions thant can explain this type of behavior. The cop got into a rage frenzy, and did not even care about the consequences.

He shoots himself in the head, and for all I know at this time, he is still alive. If he lives, he probably will be a vegetable.