Paying Lao Visa At Border In Usd

Hi guys,

If I pay for my Laos visa at the friendship bridge border crossing with a 100 dollar bill, will they be able to give me change back in USD? (100-35=65). Or do you have to pay exactly 35 USD?

Edited by Jimbo

You should be able to get the $65 back in change altho I've never tried a C-note before, but a $50 works fine.

Just to be cautions, and I'm not making allegations here I hope, but I'd note the serial number of the bill before you hand it over for the $35 visa on arrival. ....

Mac

I went to my local bank yesterday and they only have 100 USD bills, nothing smaller. I will get one but I just want to be sure that I will be able to get change back in USD. I can just imagine them trying to give the 65 USD back in Lao currency or even Thai Baht and against some really lousy exchange rate.

I went to my local bank yesterday and they only have 100 USD bills, nothing smaller. I will get one but I just want to be sure that I will be able to get change back in USD. I can just imagine them trying to give the 65 USD back in Lao currency or even Thai Baht and against some really lousy exchange rate.

Should not be a problem as almost everyone pays in US Dollars and they should have more than sufficient change for you. Agree with Mac about noting the number although I have not heard about scams going on.

Should not be a problem as almost everyone pays in US Dollars and they should have more than sufficient change for you. Agree with Mac about noting the number although I have not heard about scams going on.

Me, either, re scams there at the border, never had a problem with a $50 and been across lots of times.

FYI, if you're driving, there's good secure parking near the "bus-van" station on the Thai side, caged. I've left my car there for as long as 10 days and never had a problem. Baht 100 per day charge but max I've been hit with is baht 700, I think it was.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give a brief update on my original question.

I did end up paying with a $100 bill at the Laos border. No problem whatsoever. However they did end up giving me bills back which were slightly damaged (I didn't notice as the damage was very small) and the banks in Laos refused to exchange them for Laos Kip.