Problem Downloading Software Using Firefox

vagabond48

I am currently using FF 3.6.x and before that, I was using 3.0.19 connected to TOT provided by my apartment building through WIFI. I have had the same problem downloading with both versions. My downloads will run 1 to 3 minutes then just freeze. I am forced to pause the download and then start it to continue. I am forced to watch the downloads, depending on the size, from 10 to 30 minutes since my download speeds are pretty poor ranging 20 to 50 KBP. Last night after 1:30AM, I wanted to download the latest version of Zone Alarm which is 39 Meg but gave up. This morning, I was successful since I had more time to babysit the download.

Is it my TOT connection or is it FF screwing up my downloads?

Try the Opera browser in order to see if the problem lies with Firefox. It also has a built in Download Manager, so you may be able to 'Resume' broken or stopped downloads, rather than having to begin again.

I do want to make it clear that FF also has a download manager. Although I may be forced to pause the download, when I start it, it continues the download from where it left off. The problem is nursing the download.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The main question is: is it the net connection or the browser?

Try getting Chrome portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable) and install it a directory of your choosing, doesn't mess with your Program Files, registry etc. If you still have the download problem you'll know it's the network. If the dl goes swimmingly you know it's FF.

My guess, based on what you posted: something went pear-shaped when you upgraded FF, I suggest you save your FF settings, bookmarks, add-ins, etc and re-install FF.

I keep Chrome portable on my system because some sites don't come in well on my FF (like Pattaya News); this may be because I have a lot of security lockdown settings, and times like this I'll try Chrome, or maybe even IE.

I am currently using FF 3.6.x and before that, I was using 3.0.19 connected to TOT provided by my apartment building through WIFI. I have had the same problem downloading with both versions. My downloads will run 1 to 3 minutes then just freeze.

Is it my TOT connection or is it FF screwing up my downloads?

It's your TOT connection that's causing the timeouts, not the browser.

The main question is: is it the net connection or the browser?

Try getting Chrome portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable) and install it a directory of your choosing, doesn't mess with your Program Files, registry etc. If you still have the download problem you'll know it's the network. If the dl goes swimmingly you know it's FF.

My guess, based on what you posted: something went pear-shaped when you upgraded FF, I suggest you save your FF settings, bookmarks, add-ins, etc and re-install FF.

I keep Chrome portable on my system because some sites don't come in well on my FF (like Pattaya News); this may be because I have a lot of security lockdown settings, and times like this I'll try Chrome, or maybe even IE.

the links fails to work, you need to take the end bracket out of the address.

thanks for the link it looks a good site

It's your TOT connection that's causing the timeouts, not the browser.

Yes, I agree..........

That was my suspicion but I wanted to wait for some confirmation. The question is, why it is timeout? I can understand it going download to dial-up speed but timing out is just ridiculous.

The timeouts could be from a bad DNS server, some ISPs are notorious with their configurations. You might try it with Google DNS, OpenDNS or I believe Thaivisa has a DNS server also.

Thanks, I am using OpenDNS (preferred)and DNSAdvange (alternate).

The timeouts could be from a bad DNS server, some ISPs are notorious with their configurations. You might try it with Google DNS, OpenDNS or I believe Thaivisa has a DNS server also.

Thanks, I am using OpenDNS (preferred)and DNSAdvange (alternate).

Why on earth would a bad DNS server stop an already started download?

Try the Opera browser in order to see if the problem lies with Firefox. It also has a built in Download Manager, so you may be able to 'Resume' broken or stopped downloads, rather than having to begin again.

I do want to make it clear that FF also has a download manager. Although I may be forced to pause the download, when I start it, it continues the download from where it left off. The problem is nursing the download.

Thanks for the suggestion.

That is why I wrote 'also'... Since you wanted to eliminate Firefox as a possibility, it made sense to try with another browser. ;)