Australian Tourist Visa

OK Bridge hear we go:

I am from NZ and have a Thai GF, we visited NZ last year for 3 months for which she got a double entry toutist visa.

We plan another trip to NZ this Xmas for a couple of months on the second entry of her visa and as I have some friends in OZ one of whome has just been diagnised with cancer I am thinking of visiting them for a week or two on the way back to TL, she would obviously need an OZ visa for this.

I have no idea what is required for said OZ visa but if it is anything like the NZ one which needed a stack of paper an inch thick and took 3 months to be approved it may not be worth the hassle.

Apreciate any input.

PS she has also been to India and Singapore on her current passport.

Robby nz

Your GF will need to apply for a subclass 676 tourist visa. The application form (48r) can be downloaded from the DIAC website. The application form is also available in Thai (48rtha), but must be completed in English. The current visa application charge is THB3300. Applications can be sent directly to Australian Embassy, Bangkok, or lodged in person at VFS. If lodged at VFS a THB535 service fee is charged. Passport and a recent passport photo must be submitted with the visa application. Processing time is usually 3 to 5 business days, but can take longer during peak periods of if more information is needed from the applicant

Her application must clearly demonstrate that she is intending to visit Australia a genuine visitor only, and that she had adequate funds or access to adequate funds for the purpose and duration of her stay in Australia. A genuine visitor is someone who will not work whilst in Australia, and will depart Australia prior to their visa expiring.

There are many factors that are taken into account in determining whether an applicant has a genuine intention, such as ongoing employment in their home country, strong family ties in their home country for example. The list is not exhaustive. Ultimately it is the objective circumstances of the applicant and not their subjective intention.

You might want to include a letter with your GF's application that you will be providing her financial support (if you are that is), and that she has previously been granted a NZ visa and complied with the conditions of that visa. State the reasons for the visit to Oz as well.

Does she have any network of family of friends in Australia? If not, mention that too, as it may also demonstrate that there would be no incentive for her to overstay.

Well that's a start for you - good luck

Bridge

Thanks for that Bridge, good info.

Havent talked to the lady boss about it yet so nothing definite but if it does happen we would be entering OZ from NZ after our time there so that should make a difference.

Robby

Havent talked to the lady boss about it yet so nothing definite but if it does happen we would be entering OZ from NZ after our time there so that should make a difference.

Robby

Will you be applying for the visa in Thailand before the trip or in NZ?

There are restrictions on entry validity for the 676 visa.

Robby

Would have to do it from here before we leave and before tickets are bought because she has to have a ticket out of NZ to comply with her current visa and if there was going to be a stop in OZ the tickets would have to include that.

I bought my g/f to Oz last August on a 3 month TR. Wishing to do it again in October this year except we will be bringing our new son with us. Not sure whether to ask for a 12 month, thinking she will get a 6 month, or just ask for a six month straight up!

Reason is it will be 6 months before I can travel back to LOS. Just need the 6 month period before heading back and doing the Partner Visa. What is your thought on this?

I bought my g/f to Oz last August on a 3 month TR. Wishing to do it again in October this year except we will be bringing our new son with us. Not sure whether to ask for a 12 month, thinking she will get a 6 month, or just ask for a six month straight up!

Reason is it will be 6 months before I can travel back to LOS. Just need the 6 month period before heading back and doing the Partner Visa. What is your thought on this?

The 12 month visa is usually a multi entry allowing for multiple trips of three months duration.

Personally I dont know too many people that have received a 6 month visa, thats not to say it isnt an option.

When you apply there is a question for travel dates and the length of visa requested....fill them out as to your requirements and keep fingers crossed.

Would have to do it from here before we leave and before tickets are bought because she has to have a ticket out of NZ to comply with her current visa and if there was going to be a stop in OZ the tickets would have to include that.

There is usually a 3 month limit on entry, the holder must enter Oz within three months from date of grant of visa. However some people have been able to delay that for various reasons. Make sure you give the Embassy the details of your travel plans and address it in a covering letter also.

VFS as a company is efficient (they handle the visas for India for example) but they operate strictly to whatever template is provided by the country concerned. They have no discretion. In the case of Australia I would guess that there is a pretty strict check list and one X and the answer is no.

VFS also handle visa applications for the UK in, among other places, Thailand. However, for the UK they merely collect the application, biometrics and fee before forwarding everything to the British embassy where the decision on the application is made by British Entry Clearance Officers employed by the British government.

Are you saying that for Australia the decision on whether to issue the visa or not is made by local VFS staff? Seems very odd if that is so!

OGB, Bridge is a qualified and registered Australian visa adviser. With respect, he doubtless has more experience of dealing with Australian visa applications of all types than yourself.

Hi guys

This is from the vfs section ---- the Australian Embassy, Bangkok website at

Loads of info including this:

"This arrangement for The Australian Visa Application Centre to accept visa applications does not affect the legal requirements for visa applications and the decision-making process for the grant of Australian visas remains with the Australian Embassy Bangkok.

All applications will be assessed and decided by the Visa and immigration Office at the Australian Embassy Bangkok, in accordance with Australian immigration legislation and policy.The Australian Visa Application Centre staff are not employees of the Australian government and do not have the delegation to assess or decide applications."

Hope this clarifies.

Whilst this cut and paste is from the VFS site, it may be worth your while to seek a meeting.

I did so whilst my wife was applying for a patner visa and the lady was very helpful

I realise it only refers to migration visas, but it's worth a try

"Staff from the Visa and Immigration Office of The Australian Embassy, Bangkok will be available to address queries and meet with applicants wishing to lodge Migration Visa Application at the Australian Visa Application Centre (VFS). Any applicant wishing to personally speak with an Immigration Officer about their migration visa application may do so by visiting the Application Centre between 2 PM and 4 PM on Thursdays".

All the best

Kel

Just been wading through the dismal swamp of verbage associated with applying for a tourist visa and have a question.

The current visa application charge is THB3300. Applications can be sent directly to Australian Embassy, Bangkok, or lodged in person at VFS. If lodged at VFS a THB535 service fee is charged.

Does this mean that if we go and apply in person at VFS the fee is 535B more?

That would mean that mailing it to the embassy would not incur this fee or could it be delivered direct (in person) to the embassy to avoid the extra fee?

Just been wading through the dismal swamp of verbage associated with applying for a tourist visa and have a question.

The current visa application charge is THB3300. Applications can be sent directly to Australian Embassy, Bangkok, or lodged in person at VFS. If lodged at VFS a THB535 service fee is charged.

Does this mean that if we go and apply in person at VFS the fee is 535B more?

That would mean that mailing it to the embassy would not incur this fee or could it be delivered direct (in person) to the embassy to avoid the extra fee?

If you send directly to the Australian Embassy you do not have to pay the VFS fee. Downside however, it may take a bit longer to get from their mail room to the tourist visa processing section. VFS is pretty streamlined.

Thanks again Bridge

Other part of the question:

If I happen to be in BKK can I take an application direct to the embassy or do I have to mail it?

You cant enter the Embassy without an appointment, but you can deliver it to the security office. Make sure it is all secured in an envelope.

Australian Embassy, Bangkok

Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC)

37 South Sathorn Road

Bangkok