Briton Jeff Savage Freed By Thai Court

webfact

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised that he was even arrested, though not surprised that they let him go free, as he really didn't do anything other than say something very stupid. He did not incite anyone to do anything, however it is typical for the Thais to blame someone else for their problems and he was the perfect scapegoat for Central burning. 45 days in a Thai jail for running his mouth is a little harsh considering he can easily catch TB, hepatitis or another illness while in custody, as many inmates often do, turning a short stay into a death sentence.

This will either:

A) Teach him a lesson to not get involved, in any manner, in Thai politics or issues.

B) Turn him into a true terrorist who will seek revenge on Thailand and those in power.

Lets hope he learned his lesson and moves on. Considering he did his time I don't think he will be deported, and if so it will only be for 5 years. That seems to be the usual black list amount these days.

<BR><FONT size=2>If he is blacklisted he can never return to Thailand. Considering he has got his family here, that's as good as prison.<BR>I feel sorry both for him and his family. Lifechanging stuff. &lt;deleted&gt;**, there's a bunch of sleepless nights right there...<BR></FONT><BR><BR><BR>
<BR><BR><BR><BR>I could never feel sorry for him or his family. It was HIS actions that warranted the arrest and sentence - as a 'family man' he acted irresponsibly and as a foreigner he should not have got involved in the protest.<BR><BR>I note that nothing has been said about his part in the Pattaya troubles of Songkran 2009.

(Where is all this BR nonsense coming from ?)

Edited by cardholder

UPDATE

Pro-red Briton pledged guilty

A Briton linked to the red shirts on Thursday changed his plea to guilty of violating the emergency rule, paving the way for his release.

Jefferey Savage would be freed today as he has already served out his one-and-half month term during remand. He is subject to deportation after being freed.

Following his admission of guilt, the Pathum Wan Court convicted Savage and sentenced him to serve three months in jail.

His jail term was cut in half, equivalent to time served in remand, because of his guilty plea as ground for leniency.

The magistrate court then ordered his release pending the arrangements for deportation.

Savage's charges stemmed from his involvement in the redshirt rally from March 14 to May 19.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-08

Big mistake.

This terrorist, robber and arsonist should be lock away for good.

Agreed.

Freedom of speech, even if stupid speech we do not agree with, should not be tolerated on earth and especially in Thailand, which literally means "land of the free." Those who speak their mind and do something stupid like this should be locked away for life, no chance of parole, never to see the sunlight again.

</sarcasm>

While I don't condone his actions he was an easy target for the authorities.

I saw numerous incidents on the news of Thai's burning tires (many in front of policemen). Surely these incidents are far worse than an idiot mouthing off ?

Yes they certainly are, but they are done by home grown idiots.

No nation should have to put up with imports doing the same.

If only England would listen to such advice.

He did say he didnt think he'd get a fair trial which is probably correct aswell, but as someone who cant vote he shouldnt have been there in the first place.

I was gonna say you ain't been to England mate. Why do you think so many Brits are over here?

This geezer is a plum but I wouldn't wish Thai jail on anyone but the worst criminal. Sleeping on your side on the floor 30 to a room all touching. Then depriving you of food until your teeth fall out is a crime against humanity. Nobody deserves that.

If you're gonna incarcerate people they need food, bed & medical care.

Lets face it the authorities here have done a pretty bad job of apprehending anyone involved in these serious arson crimes. This guy was a media scape goat.

Why are the real instigators not on trial???

Edited by Pui

The magistrate court then ordered his release pending the arrangements for deportation.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-08

Shocking. Is he getting the 5 year black list?

I've seen stories of guys who have committed real crimes (drugs, guns, rape, robbery), did their time and were never deported. Really shocking to see them deport him. I guess he deserves it, but wow. My ex-neighbor was caught a few years ago molesting kids and not only did he not do time, but he is still in Pattaya. Money talks and scum bags walk I guess.

I can only assume that old Jeff did not have enough money to make this all go away. Oh well, let him sit at home in whatever crap hole he comes from and think about what he has done, even if it was all silly, he should not have been involved.

Big mistake.

This terrorist, robber and arsonist should be lock away for good.

Agreed.

Freedom of speech, even if stupid speech we do not agree with, should not be tolerated on earth and especially in Thailand, which literally means "land of the free." Those who speak their mind and do something stupid like this should be locked away for life, no chance of parole, never to see the sunlight again.

</sarcasm>

I think he did a bit more then just talk, though certainly throwing a single petrol bomb made from a red bull bottle is probably more symbolic then causing any actual damage. He also admitted to being in the crowd that burnt the Channel 3 building while the employees were still in it.

There are also reports he is schizo, so that may also be why he getting away so fast. Also, the PT has refused to give him any assistance so that probably helped too.

TH

BTW... has a single civilian red shirt been arrested and done time yet for actually burning or breaking anything?

No shortage of their faces on video and photos, causing real damage. Or was it just easier to pin it all on a few falang?

I think he did a bit more then just talk, though certainly throwing a single petrol bomb made from a red bull bottle is probably more symbolic then causing any actual damage. He also admitted to being in the crowd that burnt the Channel 3 building while the employees were still in it.

There are also reports he is schizo, so that may also be why he getting away so fast. Also, the PT has refused to give him any assistance so that probably helped too.

TH

I didn't know he admitted to throwing petrol bombs. If that is the case, then I have different thoughts on him.

As far as I knew he said something dumb on video, threw a stick on the ground and was at the wrong place at the right time. Hardly reason to spend even a single night in a Thai prison. But yes, if he admitted to actually tossing petrol bombs, then he deserved his short time in jail. There is no reason he should have been doing that.

BTW... has a single civilian red shirt been arrested and done time yet for actually burning or breaking anything?

No shortage of their faces on video and photos, causing real damage. Or was it just easier to pin it all on a few falang?

Last count I saw was well over 400 Thais were arrested. Don't think any have gone to trial yet, so ole Jeff is getting the fast track treatment here.

Forget to take your anti-farang paranoia pill this morning?

:whistling:

TH

It's a surprisingly short penalty. My guess is that he has also provided useful information about other people involved and cut a deal.

Are you mad? 1.5 months for talking crap without acting on it is a rough sentence. The guy was obviously drunk and stoned on something at the time which the video clearly shows. In the countries where the majority of us come from the police would lock you up overnight to sleep it off, put you in front of a magistrate the next day and let you go with a fine! He wasn't an illegal immigrant, just a bit foolish!

But he wasn't jailed for 1.5 months for talking crap without acting. He was jailed for violating state of emergency rules. It was only because of his big mouth that he was found but he wasn't sentenced because of what the mouth did...

Shut up! If he was walking down the street minding his own business like the people filming him he wouldn't have been arrested. Big mouth = 1.5 months! Do the math!

He was sentenced for violating state of emergency rules, not because he had a big mouth. Of course he wouldn't have been found if he hadn't opened his big mouth :rolleyes:

Jirapa - You seem to be copying some of Jeff's skills - Please keep this discussion civilized and don't involve your personal problems in how you answer posts at TV

Last count I saw was well over 400 Thais were arrested. Don't think any have gone to trial yet, so ole Jeff is getting the fast track treatment here.

Forget to take your anti-farang paranoia pill this morning?:whistling:

TH

Listen and watch Thai news and you will hear Tokay. Many Thais have been both arrested and sentenced. All I have heard have been given 6 month suspended sentences - except the leaders of course, they are not ready with them yet

Edited by MikeyIdea

On the other hand, if he has kids, he wil want to bring them along with his wife to England. Presuming the kifs are in school and grew up in Isaan, they will now pay the prize for this by losing their entire universe, effectively paying the prize for daddy's stupidity.

With this in mind, if I was the judge I'd grant the idiot one more chance to remain in Thailand.

What is wrong living in England and giving the children a real education and a fair chance in life?

This is coming from a Yankee. What is the big deal being deported?

Edited by hardy1943

On the other hand, if he has kids, he wil want to bring them along with his wife to England. Presuming the kifs are in school and grew up in Isaan, they will now pay the prize for this by losing their entire universe, effectively paying the prize for daddy's stupidity.

With this in mind, if I was the judge I'd grant the idiot one more chance to remain in Thailand.

What is wrong living in England and giving the children a real education and a fair chance in life?

Probably because with no job, money, or house he has about 0% chance of getting them a visa.

It's a surprisingly short penalty. My guess is that he has also provided useful information about other people involved and cut a deal.

Are you mad? 1.5 months for talking crap without acting on it is a rough sentence. The guy was obviously drunk and stoned on something at the time which the video clearly shows. In the countries where the majority of us come from the police would lock you up overnight to sleep it off, put you in front of a magistrate the next day and let you go with a fine! He wasn't an illegal immigrant, just a bit foolish!

As far as I know he was also standing by and watching while his friends torched the channel 3 building.

Hopefully his parents will find a nice quiet place for him back in Kent and won't let him out for a long time.

TH

He's 48 years old. I guess if he's lucky he still has parents to rely on. I really don't know or care to know about his personal history. Although I do think he should have never gotten himself involved in this mess in the first place... P bah.

Home-grown idiots or foreign idiots, they are all THE SAME. Just because you are in your own country, does not give you the right to be stupid.

While I don't condone his actions he was an easy target for the authorities.

I saw numerous incidents on the news of Thai's burning tires (many in front of policemen). Surely these incidents are far worse than an idiot mouthing off ?

Yes they certainly are, but they are done by home grown idiots.

No nation should have to put up with imports doing the same.

Probably because with no job, money, or house he has about 0% chance of getting them a visa.

Good point but how does he live here? I am retired would take 6 month to get my Wife and 2 adopted daughter to the States.Well I guess I am lucky also live in a 6 million Baht home.

just curious, have they used the video as a key piece of evidence? If so I guess Mr. Jeff is not really happy with the guy who explains the situation in the video :rolleyes:

Anyway, it is not Farang duty to take care for Thai Politics and for sure not running around with a large stick on the road....sry but I hope they send him home :jap:

just curious, have they used the video as a key piece of evidence? If so I guess Mr. Jeff is not really happy with the guy who explains the situation in the video :rolleyes:

Anyway, it is not Farang duty to take care for Thai Politics and for sure not running around with a large stick on the road....sry but I hope they send him home :jap:

You are right we are guest here.

The poor guy shouldn't have even been jailed in the first place!!! Once again the Thais come down way too hard on foreigners in Thailand. The only time when they realize that they've been doing something wrong / stupid is when foreigners stop coming to Thailand all together!!!