Starting Again With Buddhism

Neeranam

I have decided to spend more of my free time, which isn't much, on studying about Buddhism.

I did so about 15 years ago when I was desparate to find a cure for my drug addiction, and subsequent mess of a life. I went to Darmsala in India and did a retreat there, meeting and talking with HH the Dalai Lama. I also went to some places in India where Lord Buddha had done something. I never felt, or had any spiritual experiences there in regard to Buddhism. My Hindu studies, well that is a another story! Lots of spiritual experiences, really powerful ones. I also went to Suan Mohk, down in Surathani for a couple of weeks, and to a few other temples in Thailand.

The strange thing is though, after spending a long time in India and meditating every day(3 years), and thinking myself to be halfway to Nirvana, drink and drugs came back to ruin my life.

Now many years on and beaten the drugs(on a daily basis), I feel it is time for me to start my spiritual journey once more, and make the use of what tools we have in Thailand.

I believe there is a very good temple near Udon, with Western monks. Anyone know? Anyt good temples around Udon, Khon Kaen, Kalasin? I can understand Thai.

Any advice on where to start would be welcome.

I can highly recommend the teachings at Wat Ban That, in Udon Thani province south of the capital. The abbott is Luang Ta Maha Bua, very famous throughout Thailand. He doesn't teach so much anymore but there are other monks there - including the most senior western monk (ie, the one with longest tenure as a monk) in Thailand. If you Google for "Maha Bua" you'll find lots of material online.

In Nong Khai there's a small forest temple just outside the city, Wat Noeng Phanao, that's supposed to be very good. I've visited that temple but never stayed or taken teachings.