Motorbikes On Thapae Gate Grounds

arunsakda

For as long as I can remember (around 1999) it was posted "FINE x,000 Baht Riding Motorcycle on Thapae Gate Ground", or such.

Now there is no sign and a constant stream of traffic , even Tuk-Tuks. I can understand blasting across drunk at 03:00AM but Thapae Gate has become a thoroughfare, detrimental to everyones enjoyment. What happened?

It's never been a problem when I am walking... and I walk a lot. During the night market sales, and duing events, the organizers often park their bikes on the grounds, but I don't see a lot of people riding around on them.

I always drive my bike across, never had any problems.

More irritating to me is the foreigners walking up the middle of Soys thinking they are pedestrian walkways.

Thats a good one with the farangs.

Maybe they standle the middle of the road in case they stagger from one side to the other LMAO :D

So back in '99 did motorbikes actually stay off the Thapae Gate grounds? Yeah, I doubt it. I just know to walk carefully when I cross that vast open expanse.

By no means am I saying bikes stayed of the square. Neither did I. But this was after hours, not because there is a rule or not, just did not care to get faranged. One does not ride helmetless in town at 5PM eitherph34r.gif.

From what I saw Thursday there was a constant stream of traffic, way more than before, conflicting with

hangers out and some children playing badminton. Now I won`t hesitate to ride across, but at busy times will likely take the u-turn.

LIBERTY HALL

The expression "Liberty Hall" as a rich tradition in English expression - not to do with modern buildings or associations. It meant a place where you can do as you wish. It is odd that one of the most advanced S.E. Asian nations should fall heir to the title, but there it is. (In fairness, we should admit that Thailand rivals France for its requirements for forms and paper proprieties - and far outdistances it regarding visas.)

Still, I am finding it a curious activity to adapt to the gray areas, but know that if I wish to enjoy the benefits of "high civilization," I may do so in Singapore, which seems to thoroughly enforce laws for everything ever prohibited anywhere, while taxing everything else.

The signs, incidentally, are doubtless to be found with the white, air-conditioned, and cheap buses that were to an initial step toward a reduction in pollution. Some things are just unworkable, without public support, and there is an election coming up some day.

Don't do it as a rule. but have done so when following someone and they have taken the short cut. I don't know why they don't put a lockable barrier across it if they want to stop people - not exactly difficult is it.

They used to have one that pedestrians could step over, but - I guess - Mai Phen Rai. :whistling:

seems the obvious answer - maybe they removed it to make it easier for the market people? wish they'd put it back it's ridiculous

Often used it as a road. Its got tarmac, there's a ramp to get up onto it, clearly its designed for motorbikes. :whistling: I'm careful to only run over people I don't like the look of (which may change depending on my mood).

If I wanted to live somewhere with pedantic rules, I'd live back in Blighty.

Edited by naboo

Often used it as a road. Its got tarmac, there's a ramp to get up onto it, clearly its designed for motorbikes. :whistling: I'm careful to only run over people I don't like the look of (which may change depending on my mood).

If I wanted to live somewhere with pedantic rules, I'd live back in Blighty.

and so speaks another 'i do what I want because I can' Brit... jeeze - do you ever think of others? probably not - so to summarise

'come to amazing thailand and break laws, have fun and drive where you want because they are a developing country who have few Police and no roadside cameras' - pedestrians? who gives a sh1t

Or "do as the Thais".

If the Thais weren't doing it, I wouldn't. It's acceptable to the, so I'm fine with it.

Well that is a fair point... Thais, generally, don't care about others and do what they want - but a little 'personal responsibility' might be a good thing? Thais do many things I never would - parking bikes on pavements, pushing in front of queues, answering phone calls in temples, driving like they own the road etc.etc. just my point of view - I choose to do what I think is right

Well that is a fair point... Thais, generally, don't care about others and do what they want - but a little 'personal responsibility' might be a good thing? Thais do many things I never would - parking bikes on pavements, pushing in front of queues, answering phone calls in temples, driving like they own the road etc.etc. just my point of view - I choose to do what I think is right

I believe driving on Thapae Gate grounds, on a 100cc piece of plastic at no speed greater than a bicycle is fine. I also believe, as I imagine you do, that walking around without my passport on my person is acceptable behaviour, contrary to Thai law. I think its acceptable to head off on holiday down South for a month or so without informing immigration of my location and address, again contrary to Thai law. So where would one draw the line? Walking around town without a t-shirt on is likely to offend quite a few Thais, something I'd never do (my man-boobs would likely offend a few tourists as well, but my thoughts are wandering). Being loud and 'in your face' at a Thai bar watching football is likely to offend, something I wouldn't do.

Consideration for others is something I have plenty of, but I guess the little things like driving a motorbike on a pavement are always going to offend one or two, but mai bpen rai eh?

I believe driving on Thapae Gate grounds, on a 100cc piece of plastic at no speed greater than a bicycle is fine. I also believe, as I imagine you do, that walking around without my passport on my person is acceptable behaviour, contrary to Thai law. I think its acceptable to head off on holiday down South for a month or so without informing immigration of my location and address, again contrary to Thai law. So where would one draw the line? Walking around town without a t-shirt on is likely to offend quite a few Thais, something I'd never do (my man-boobs would likely offend a few tourists as well, but my thoughts are wandering). Being loud and 'in your face' at a Thai bar watching football is likely to offend, something I wouldn't do.

Consideration for others is something I have plenty of, but I guess the little things like driving a motorbike on a pavement are always going to offend one or two, but mai bpen rai eh?

well we will differ on this one - just try and avoid hitting me :ermm:

I always drive my bike across, never had any problems.

More irritating to me is the foreigners walking up the middle of Soys (sic) thinking they are pedestrian walkways.

Is that as opposed to bikers that ride down the middle of them as if they own them?

:P

Edited by Chicog