PM Abhisit Expresses Regret Over Thailand's Delay In 3G Launch

webfact

PM expresses regret over Thailand's delay in 3G launch

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva Saturday expressed regret that Thailand lagged behind neighbouring countries in the launch of 3G wireless communication services.

Abhisit said the lack of clear-cut 3G policy caused Thailand to lag behind its neigbouring countries.

"We don't want the 3G mobile phone services to be delayed and the national telecom commission must create confidence to the public that the bidding of 3G license would really benefit the people," Abhisit said.

Abhisit said he would like operators to compete to provide 3G services so that the people would get more benefits.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-10

Thailand claims it wants to be the Technology Hub amongst every other Hub. ( At the moment it appears to be a hub of corruption and crackdowns)

Why don't they skip 3G and go straight to 4G to it can keep up with neigbouring countries. If they make internet to the out side world normal, it would massively improve Thai people ability to expand their horizons.

Malaysia is all ready rolling out 4G, 3G is becoming obsolete there.

Is it not that obvious?. (Or does 2 auctions, 3G then 4G mean more tea money?) Would going straight to 4G be to efficient?

Oh well, back to my GPRS and dial up.

On a positive, at least hopefully there will be improvements. I wonder if the bottle neck at the international port is just going to grow with 3G.

Edited by haveaniceday

Kind of confusing, this 3G thing. There has never been an auction, yet TOT, True and others (I think) offer 3G services, on a trial basis, though. And TOT is suing AIS and CAT is suing True, all about 3G.

Well at least the nurse in charge of it was kicked out of office and we have a new ICT minister, but his priorities are censorship in the Internet and blocking web-sites.

But then they came up with the brilliant idea of launching 3.9G

What the h**** is 3.9 G? I never heard of that, never seen a device nor other data or equipment.

I agree, just forget anything 3.x G, go straight to 4G and fast.

<br>The hub of technical delays.<br><br>The hub of competitive mis-management<br><br>The hub of counter-intuitive self-interest<br>
<br><br>You can say that again; I agree. Unfortunately this corrupt place will never move beyond "corruption rules."  Pity b/c the Thai people really deserve better. hel_l people in Isaan have difficulty getting ANY internet service. 

'selftaopath' date='2010-07-10 21:24' timestamp='1278771866' post='3741003']

'animatic' date='2010-07-10 18:18' timestamp='1278760713' post='3740709']<br>The hub of technical delays.<br><br>The hub of competitive mis-management<br><br>The hub of counter-intuitive self-interest<br><br><br>You can say that again; I agree. Unfortunately this corrupt place will never move beyond "corruption rules."  Pity b/c the Thai people really deserve better. hel_l people in Isaan have difficulty getting ANY internet service. 

Perhaps , just perhaps , the poor people of Issan are better of without techknowledgy such as the internet , by all accounts going by the chit chat on TV , they are inheritantly lazy and can barely afford to feed themselves in a healthy manner , thier reluctance to improve rice yield because of the extra 10/12 hours extra labour over a 3 month period was too much , consequently they failed to improve the only job(?) they seem to have , which has dropped them from worlds #1 rice exporter , giving that revered distinction to Vietnam .

Now you feel they need to be introduced to the internet on top of gambling and getting drunk , how will they ever find the time to do the most important part of thier work , watch the rice grow , my goodness , how will the rice manage ?

This is not meant to be a slight or some form of ridicule of Thai farmers , just a humorous slant on previous comments by the worldly wise .

He regrets it. And just how does he think we feel.

Go to 4Gnow

There's only one problem, 4G standards are still being developed. Looks like they will be based on LTE which also is still under development. Only commercial networks i know of are in Sweden and Norway. Still no phones exists that support LTE, at least not marketed to public by Nokia and the like... In Sweden there is only bulky USB modem prototypes offered.

WiMax is deployed in many countries but technically and speed is 3.xxG...

So you can go with LTE now and wait couple of years to have devices available or you can do quick equipment swap to 3G with latest version HSPA.

Go to 4Gnow

Did you not read that the TELCOS in question are against 3.9G? They want 3G. All these would change if only they'd allow 100% fully owned foreign telcos to participate in the auction.

Shame on them all.

Go to 4Gnow

There's only one problem, 4G standards are still being developed. Looks like they will be based on LTE which also is still under development. Only commercial networks i know of are in Sweden and Norway. Still no phones exists that support LTE, at least not marketed to public by Nokia and the like... In Sweden there is only bulky USB modem prototypes offered.

So you can go with LTE now and wait couple of years to have devices available or you can do quick equipment swap to 3G with latest version HSPA.

Sprint in America.

Go to 4Gnow

My mate over in Denmark is just starting the LTE roll out.

He reckons using the company labour and minimum contractors it will take 2 to 3 years to completely re-equip every cell site in the country including up grading all the links.

Go to 4Gnow

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/04/20/denmark-to-get-lte-in-a-few-months-via-tdc-customers-told-to-expect-15-mbps-downloads/

I am confused. I see all over for True WIF that they also sat 3G. so they do or don’t they have 3G?
There are 'trial zones' in a few major cities, but the idea of maintaining a roaming 3G connection while traveling across the country will never happen.

The issuing of operating licenses is held up by the state owned telco wanting their cut of the pie from the private companies for allowing them to operate, call it key money.

...Go to 4Gnow
Will not happen, 4G will be expensive compared to the old 3G kit more developed countries telcos will be selling off, maybe AIS will redeploy their old junk from Singapore. :)

Thailand claims it wants to be the Technology Hub amongst every other Hub. ( At the moment it appears to be a hub of corruption and crackdowns)

Why don't they skip 3G and go straight to 4G to it can keep up with neigbouring countries. If they make internet to the out side world normal, it would massively improve Thai people ability to expand their horizons.

Malaysia is all ready rolling out 4G, 3G is becoming obsolete there.

Is it not that obvious?. (Or does 2 auctions, 3G then 4G mean more tea money?) Would going straight to 4G be to efficient?

Oh well, back to my GPRS and dial up.

On a positive, at least hopefully there will be improvements. I wonder if the bottle neck at the international port is just going to grow with 3G.

You can bet that all this delay has to do with corruption and who can get the most money out of the deal.