Anyone Remember The Goon Show?

Welshman

Does anyone remember the original Goon Shows on BBC Radio?

It was probably the forerunner of other comedy cults such as Monty Python, etc. It was so anarchic and different that I had to listen to it in secret - as my mother disapproved of it enormously.

Frankly, I don't think there's been anything since for it's originality and its sense of the rediculous.

I believe that all the scripts were written by Spike Milligan (which would explain a lot).

:o

Does anyone remember the original Goon Shows on BBC Radio? 

It was probably the forerunner of other comedy cults such as Monty Python, etc. It was so anarchic and different that I had to listen to it in secret - as my mother disapproved of it enormously.

Frankly, I don't think there's been anything since for it's originality and its sense of the rediculous.

I believe that all the scripts were written by Spike Milligan (which would explain a lot).

:o

A quote from "The Last of the Summer Wine" I saw last week on the BBC:

"Never trust a man who doesn't like the Goons" - too true!

BTW I've got about 30 recordings of the Goon show, plus Spike's "Hitler, My Part in His Downfall" - all in mp3 format.

Anyone wants copies, give me a server and I'll ftp them there.

Too young to actually remember it first time around, but my father was a big fan of Spike and the gang, and I loved listening to his old comedy records with the voices of Bluebottle and Eccles.

Thanks to the Goons, Pete & Dudd, TW3, it's that man again, Harry Worth, etc., I actually ended up with a very similar sense of humour to my father, and still quote lines from these shows, but no bugger of my age ever understands them :o

Say Goodnight Gracie......

Rags