Newish Gourmet Deli Now Operating In Jomtien

Jingthing

There is a newish ITALIAN gourmet deli on Jomtien 2nd road (near immigration) that is now open. It's called EATILY or something like that, how cute and clever. The storefront has been there for many many months already but they appeared to have recently opened.

Anyway, I payed a visit. My overall impression -- what are they thinking?

Lovely stock of mostly high end genuine imported Italian ingredients. Also lots of wines and perhaps the best collection of tequilas I have seen in Thailand (tequila Italian, okie dokie).

I was hoping to find a customer friendly experience with first thing CLEARLY MARKED PRICES and at the very least knowledgeable helpful staff. I was also looking for a place where I could have a quick casual high quality Italian deli meal at a reasonable price. Neither expectation was met.

While there were some price lists in the deli cases they were not related at all the merchandise. In other words, the actual items for sale were not priced. I randomly asked for the price on a number of items and the staff didn't have a clue about the prices and had to go to someone else to get the prices, every time. Sorry, that destroys the pleasure of browsing. I felt like I was harassing the staff to get prices, so I just stopped asking. Items like Italian marinated squid and artichokes are a great thing, but they are not great at 1000 baht per 100 grams, even at high end places customers do need access to the PRICES.

The prices themselves were predictably high. For example, 290 baht for a fair portion of what looked like (but was not confirmed as) lasagna. Not friendly prices for a deli meal in that part of town. I wanted to ask about what was in the lasagna but again I was tired of harassing the staff who wouldn't have known the answer anyway.

On to the wine, dry goods pasta, fancy liquors, tequilas, etc. Very interesting stock. Again, NO PRICES!

Is this is an Italian thing? A Euro thing? I don't get it. I think the management is insane basically. Sure they will get some rich Italians (not sure if they have a wholesale restaurant trade, wasn't clear) but they will lose almost everyone else.

I continue to be amazed at some of the business practices in this town. Par for the course. This place won't possibly make it at that location, with the totally resistible formula of high prices which you have to work too hard to discover, and useless staff.

I walked in hopeful for a new wonderful neighborhood experience. I walked out disgusted.

Edited by Jingthing

It occurs to me my OP was very negative. I didn't offer a positive side of it, how they might actually make it and be an asset to the area.

Here goes --

Clearly price all items

If you can't train your staff, at least present INGREDIENT cards for items like lasagna saying it is beef, has ricotta maybe, etc.

Create a short simple DELI MENU. Gourmet Italian deli sandwiches using their wonderful stock. Perhaps always lasagna but for 290 baht include a small side deli item like a portion of squid, artichoke, small salad etc, plus a soft drink. Give value for money.

For items like high end tequila price competitively with other stores that carry the same, such as Vila. And everything else actually, yes the prices need to be high for imports, but price competitively.

My biggest idea. Have a rotating deli daily special with a big sign outside about it. For example, on Tuesdays perhaps do an eggplant parmesan sandwich, etc, again served with a small side Italian salad tapa and soft drink in the 300 baht range.

Why don't you just ask for the prices ?

Maybe slowly they will understand is a good idea to price everything.

Marinated squid and artichokes at 1000 baht per 100 grams... ulp! a bit overpriced.

The main problem is that Thailand seems to attract a lot of wannabe expat with a very low business competence, with some money in the pocket and ready to spend in a sometime crazy bankruptcy business.

I wanted to get an overview of the store on my first visit. I was truly interested in the items I asked about, not just random picks. Dealing with the staff was just miserable, no fun at all, so I just tired of it. I made up the price of the squid as an example of why prices do matter even when you stock great stuff, I didn't get that far in asking. Everything I did ask about was really very high. I understand luxury items need to be but I am looking for a more transparent, enjoyable shopping experience, especially at those prices.

Edited by Jingthing

ah ah, no that's not a Euro/Italian thing Jing, interesting report, it really sounds like one of those places that shut down soon after the small cash investment is gone as well, maybe the owner was in a rush to open quickly but that's a bad thing in the end, or maybe he got too involved with the Walking Street life style and left behind what should have been his main priority, who knows? however, can you tell us if they are renting out rooms as well? i am just wondering if it belongs to someone i have been told about..... If you don't mind spending a bit more, but have some quality, you can try "Rimini" in Na-Jomtien or his other restaurant near "Bruno" and "Manhattan", i think the name was "Gian's" or something, apart from a particular thai waiter calling customers "brother" it was a really good place :D

Gian's is/was GREAT! Have they closed?

I think it is still quite open.

BTW, the deli in question is not really a restaurant. It's mostly an Italian gourmet food/wine specialty shop. They have some deli items that would lend themselves to a casual meal on the premises. I recall one large table in the place. From the outside, to me at least, it LOOKS like it may be more of a eat it there meal place than it really is. When I see DELI in big type, I think it is a place to have a DELI type meal and also take away items/ingredients. I think by pushing that part and organizing it properly with a menu that they may have the potential of promoting their quality ingredients to a wider audience than those already into it (which I think would be mostly Italians passionate about Italian sourced food).

All academic as I personally feel their concept with the current management especially in that LOCATION has very dim hopes of making it in the current economic environment.

BTW, the deli in question is not really a restaurant. It's mostly an Italian gourmet food/wine specialty shop. They have some deli items that would lend themselves to a casual meal on the premises. I recall one large table in the place. From the outside, to me at least, it LOOKS like it may be more of a eat it there meal place than it really is. When I see DELI in big type, I think it is a place to have a DELI type meal and also take away items/ingredients. I think by pushing that part and organizing it properly with a menu that they may have the potential of promoting their quality ingredients to a wider audience than those already into it (which I think would be mostly Italians passionate about Italian sourced food).

All academic as I personally feel their concept with the current management especially in that LOCATION has very dim hopes of making it in the current economic environment.

I think I saw the place a couple of months ago. It's just an open shophouse opposite View Talay Villas, right? It didn't look that interesting from the outside at that time.

Maybe it's just "lost in translation": In Europe a deli don't generally allow you to eat the food in the place.

Edited by Phil Conners

I really miss old fashioned delis like back home.

I remember living near an Italian part of town.

There was a mom and pop Italian deli there.

It was great just to walk in and see the foods and smell the foods.

They also had a small table (two I think) where you could sit down and eat something.

But they wanted most customers to come in, buy, and go.

Then (different topic) there are all of the wonderful sandwich delis: pastrami, corned beef, reuben, smoked ham, Italian sausage, etc.

I have never seen such a place in all of Asia.

>> It's just an open shophouse opposite View Talay Villas, right?<<

Wrong ,he said that its on 2nd road near immigration .There are newish shop houses there .

Why is that wrong? View Talay Villas IS on 2nd road near Immigration. Duh!

It's an attractive store. Big enough, modern, well stocked, and like I said, at least one big table, so at least a minimal invitation to eating there.

To repeat, it is only my personal opinion of course that they may have a better chance of success if they pushed the eating thing with a simple clear menu. Most non-Italians wouldn't be familiar with a lot of their specialized ingredients, but might be open to try some of it in a user friendly package, like a lunch meal. Then, if they do their food well (forget it if they can't) they could expand the market beyond wealthy foodie Italians, which I can't believe are that big a market.

Edited by Jingthing

Best of luck to you Eataly. I am happy to hear you took the criticism with good grace. That shows a lot of class. Your products certainly look excellent and I wish you the best of success. But I still feel you need to make some major changes from what I saw to have a chance of that. Cheers.

BTW, sorry if I went a bit over the top in my OP. I get passionate about things sometimes as I am sure you can understand (assuming you are Italian). I am sure it is hard to open a business anywhere, but even more so in Thailand. In my opinion, vocal critics are sometimes a great opportunity to grow. Most unsatisfied customers just walk out and never say what was wrong, and then they tell lots of people how crappy the place is.

Edited by Jingthing

Still wondering about the "Italian Tequila"

???

Is it a mexican Deli in disguise? Or do you mix Tequila up with grappa?

Are the other parts of your report equally well researched?

Or: Did Italy reinvent the Tequila lately?

Questions, questions. Maybe I should pay this shop a visit and sample their extensive (though unpriced, and possibly overpriced) Italian Tequila collection?

Although: An excellent Italian Reposado would be priceless!

• 1 month later...

Gian's is/was GREAT! Have they closed?

The restaurant is still there, i can't confirm if it is still operated by him or not because i didn't went there, however, i can very sadly confirm that he gave up his second restaurant called "Rimini" in Na Jomtien, i was there yesterday thinking that everything was still the same because the name and interiors/exteriors of the place were looking the same, i had the surprise when i looked at the menu, completely different (classic thai menu with just a couple of supposedly italian dishes, listed using the "thai way" = "Carbonara" was named instead "white sauce with pork", etc..), i had the sad news when i did ask what happened to the previous menu.....also "Pignotti" at the beginning of Jomtien followed the same destiny but they changed name as well, now they are called "Ocean" and are operated by only thais like the previous one.

I was looking for this new place "Eatily" but i couldn't find it, not even Google could help, does anyone knows in which soi is it located ???

Coming from beach road in Jomtien, go to the end of Soi 5 (about 100 metre from Immigration). Turn left ---- 7/11 is first and Eatily is second. It is facing the new and unfinished 2nd road, across from what the locals refer to, as the Soi 7 Market.

It is actually part of a family run chain. This is about No 4 in Thailand.

The start-up phase is taking quite long, but the quality is excellent, if you have the patience. You are not encouraged to eat in, but can.

Thank you Jombom, i will give it a try on my next trip hoping they will still be there :jap: somehow the last time i had a bit of trouble finding a place to get some home food, on the third place i tried they had just runned out of gas and couldn't cook :D .....

• 1 month later...

Hello there, posting this report on another business with a similar problem as Eatily's (when I visited the one time). So rather than start a new thread I will mention it here.

I dropped by a newish (but not new) Turkish restaurant on the City Walk alley in Central Pattaya (between beach and second, between Royal Garden and Pattaya Tai).

It's called ANATOLA, obviously Turkish.

I happen to know something but not much about Turkish food beyond kebabs as I have visited the country for three weeks in the past. I like Turkish food, though it's not exactly a favorite.

Anyway, looking at the big pictures of food near the entrance I could see they were at least TRYING to be a real Turkish restaurant, with much more breadth than a mere kebab stand. Great! The PICTURES of the food looked good, indeed better than another of the dedicated Turkish places in town A La Turca, which by the way, I think is not great and had rip off prices (it's near Carrefour). The pictures had no names of the dishes, no descriptions of the dishes, and NO PRICES listed.

Anyway, no Turks in sight, but some smiling Thais. The place was EMPTY. Aside from the pictures of food, there was nothing to really welcome people there or give them optimism it was actually a real restaurant with food ready to prepare.

So I asked for a menu as I wanted to see the dishes listed in English and also to see the PRICES. So after some issues with being understood, they finally produced a so called menu. Some English words. NO PRICES.

Now perhaps if I was feeling more energetic and hungry I would have pushed the staff to say what is that thing, which picture does it correspond to, what is the price for this dish, for that dish, etc. etc. ad nauseum. Or if I was a Turk and knew exactly what I wanted to eat without looking at a menu, no problem, just call it out and perhaps ask the price. I did joke with the staff whether the food was FREE as there were no prices listed, ha ha. Frankly, they didn't appear to have any knowledge of the Turkish food whatsover, but did mention that Tom Yum Goong was also on offer!

In other words, what are these Turks thinking? Yes they might get some Turks, but this is Pattaya with people from all over the world. Turkish food can be very good, and many people know about it, especially Europeans, but I am sorry, it is disgraceful and stupid to invest the money to open a restaurant and hire a staff and then basically DO NOTHING to promote food sales! I never had a similar problem at Turkish restaurants IN TURKEY, they were much more accessible to non-Turks than this place in Thailand. That is ridiculous. Its a shame really, they may have really great food, but at this rate, their days are numbered, and frankly, they have THEMSELVES to blame for it.

Edited by Jingthing

If you don't mind spending a bit more, but have some quality, you can try "Rimini" in Na-Jomtien or his other restaurant near "Bruno" and "Manhattan", i think the name was "Gian's" or something...

The quality Italian restaurant you refer to is indeed named "Gian's" and is next to Bruno's on Thepraya Road. The owner of Gian's divested himself of any interest in Rimini over a year ago so there is no longer any connection between the two establishments. I will agree Gian's is one of the best Italian restos in town, with the prices to prove it but you get a wonderful atmosphere and setting with top quality ingredients.

BTW, any recent reports about whether Eatily has fixed their display case inadequacies that I originally reported? It's clear they aren't really interested in going with my suggestion to promote set deli meals to bring in more traffic, that's their call of course.

On the Turkish place, I challenge someone with more patience than me to try to actually order food there. I am still curious about that place, and have a tiny glimmer of hope that they might discover the huge mistakes they are making in not properly promoting their foods.

BTW, any recent reports about whether Eatily has fixed their display case inadequacies that I originally reported? It's clear they aren't really interested in going with my suggestion to promote set deli meals to bring in more traffic, that's their call of course.

On the Turkish place, I challenge someone with more patience than me to try to actually order food there. I am still curious about that place, and have a tiny glimmer of hope that they might discover the huge mistakes they are making in not properly promoting their foods.

Well, your story has got me wondering how their food actually is. Also, having made the effort to find the place, and despite the frustration in communicating, why (if any of the pictured foods looked good to you) didn't you just point to one and ask the price?

Well, your story has got me wondering how their food actually is. Also, having made the effort to find the place, and despite the frustration in communicating, why (if any of the pictured foods looked good to you) didn't you just point to one and ask the price?

Frankly, I had a bad feeling about the place, like they haven't had a customer in a month kind of feeling, and maybe these Thais who don't even know what the food is will be cooking it kind of feeling. No confidence. Also, I just couldn't identify most of the dishes. My ideal in a restaurant is to know most everything that is available so that I can make an informed choice in ordering meals. At this poorly presented place to fully understand what was actually offered there, I would have had to ask these ill informed Thais about most every dish on their menu, what is it, how much does it cost, and then remember the details in my head, VERY ANNOYING for me and no doubt them. And of course, inevitably, after all that, at this empty restaurant they probably didn't even have half the menu, that's my guess anyway. Of course for regular places I know already what I am going to order or in a generic Thai place I know pretty well most of what they will have (so don't need a menu). Like I said, I'm sure Turks would have no issue with their setup, but how many Turks really are there in town? But I don't know non-kebab Turkish well enough to order blindly, and overall it didn't seem worth the risk of a waste of money, bad food, even sickness. Sorry. If it was a proven entity like the soup Nazi used to be in New York of course I would put up with a lot of aggravation to get the food. That place is the polar opposite of a proven entity. BTW, I made no special effort to find the place. I had noticed it before and was taking a stroll by there and decided to peruse the menu. Didn't know then the place doesn't really have a menu. Another point, IF the place had been buzzing with happy Turks and I could SEE the actual plates of food and they looked good, well, then of course I would be eating there, and taking the risk (just point, I'll have that). An empty place like it is just cannot afford to not make any effort to communicate to potential customers. They really are toast unless they wake up and smell the Turkish coffee. I did communicate to the Thai staff what was wrong and I rate the chances the message will get to any Turks hiding in the back to be about ZERO. Edited by Jingthing

jingthing, you do realise that your probably closing about 100 eateries a year with these reviews that you do.

post a picture of yourself, so business owners can see you coming. laugh.gif

I haven't closed even one place. They CLOSE THEMSELVES. I do PREDICT places that are probably GOING to close, and my accuracy rate is very high, though not perfect. Obviously I don't know their cash flow and how many months or years they can feed a turkey.

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 year later...

Think that it's worth pointing out that the prices at EATALY are a fair bit cheaper than what is offered of the same quality at the supermarkets.

In fact I delay my purchases in order to pick my items up from there, rather than to pay Central or Villa's prices for similar.

Will double check some of the prices the next time I there, as well as checking out the other place on Sukhumwit(forgotten the name).

When i was up at immegration i also went in for a look ,as stated very few prices ,and as far as i could see very little chance of surviving ,shame as the deli selection looked nice ,but again no prices and i cant be bothered to keep asking ,two hopes for survival i fear and one of those is Bob Hope.

Ps is it the same owner as the one on Sukhumvit near King Power? had the same experiance there.