How To Properly Use A Multi-Entrance Visa In Circumstances Beyond Control

This summer I applied for and received a multi-entrance O-A Long Stay retirement visa from the Thai Embassy in WashDc. We planned on moving to a house in Chiang Mai, paid for with the wife's money, this summer, but am having a hard time selling the house here in the states. We now plan on visiting friends and seeing our house in CM for 3 weeks and then return to the states and try to sell our house - yes it has been marked down a lot.

My question, how will this affect my multi-entrance visa since our original plans were dashed due to the housing market. Will they (immigration) nullify my multi-entrance visa and I'll have to reapply sometime in the future?

Thai embassy emphasized "be sure to report to immigration in 90-days" but we aren't able to stay as we planned at this time.

One reason I applied for the multi-entrance visa was that it gve me a year's time to use it, versus a single-entry visa, which is good for only 90-days.

And it looks like I'll be needing that additional time (I had to push back our shipping date two times now).

Looks like we were overly optimistic that things would fall into place, plus bad timing.

Thanks in advance for any advice from forum members on how to play this multi-entrance visa without ticking off the Thai system. I have been lurking on this forum for years and know how easy it is to painted into a corner and handed the paintbrush.

What date did you apply/obtain your OA visa? I ask this because it has a use-by date on it. That is the date you must first enter Thailand. For example, if you applied on July 1st it probably says it must be used before August 1st. I am not sure if they only give you a month (it is a long time, and two passports ago, since I first had mine)

The reporting every 90 days is from when you enter Thaialnd. If you leave the country and return later the time period starts again. It is 90 days from the date you enter.

What date did you apply/obtain your OA visa? I ask this because it has a use-by date on it. That is the date you must first enter Thailand. For example, if you applied on July 1st it probably says it must be used before August 1st. I am not sure if they only give you a month (it is a long time, and two passports ago, since I first had mine)

The reporting every 90 days is from when you enter Thaialnd. If you leave the country and return later the time period starts again. It is 90 days from the date you enter.

--------------------

The O-A starts May23, 2010 and expires on May23, 2011.

That is why I figured I have a year to use it.

The Thai embassy never responded to my emails on the

subject nor could I get a human on the phone.

re--eljayess

--------------------

re--eljayess

It appears you have a year . As stated above no 90 day report until arrive in Thailand. Also upon arrival in Chaing Mai go to immigration and report your arrival there are some reports on Thaivisa of members being fined for not reporting within 24 hours of arrival, Hau Hin seems to be the culprite in this, but cover yourself.

The Thai Embassy's link: http://www.thaiembdc...on-Imglong.aspx

This is from the Royal Thai Embassy Washington DC:

Validity of a visa:- multiple entries : Validity of a visa is 1 year.

Period of stay:-

Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of 1 year.

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

· Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

· At the end of the 90-day stay , the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand . The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.

Edited by Jimi007

--------------------

re--eljayess

It appears you have a year . As stated above no 90 day report until arrive in Thailand. Also upon arrival in Chaing Mai go to immigration and report your arrival there are some reports on Thaivisa of members being fined for not reporting within 24 hours of arrival, Hau Hin seems to be the culprite in this, but cover yourself.

..isn't it the responsibility of the hotel/guesthouse or private home owner to report your arrival within 24 hours?

If the 'farang' already has a tabian bahn (yellow book) he is exempt from this (1,000 baht fine) rule.

--------------------

You have to enter before May 23 2011.

If you enter quite a while before that date you can do a border run just before May 23rd and get another 12 months stay.

1. You have the full year to use your visa and every entry will be a new one year permitted to stay. There is no need for a re-entry permit for any visa entry - only after visa has expired will a re-entry permit be required to keep your last permitted to stay until date alive.

2. I have not seen any report of being fined for not making a 24 hour police report that did not involve the person asking for a residence letter at any location other than Hua Hin (and have not seen a report of them asking for the last year or so). It is an old law that is not actively enforced - but, like the 90 day report, if people start insisting on doing it will be one more gotcha.

During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

That only applies to single entry OA visa or after expiration of a multi entry visa. During the validity of a multi entry visa you do not want a re-entry permit or you will lose permitted to stay time.

Thanks for the advice and information.

It appears my intention for getting the multi-entrance visa

is still intact. I just want to avoid getting a red

VOID stamp on my multi-entrance visa as one

member received and really complicated his days in

Thailand.

By the way, I live 20 miles outside of Philadelphia, PA

and am really looking forward to moving/retiring to

Chiang Mai.

Next big step will be shipping/customs and at that

time I may be back on these boards asking for

input/experiences in that endeavor.