Pattaya/Sattahip Dive Trip

peregrine8

I am going on a dive trip this weekend. I have a chose between Sattahip or Pattaya. Which would be the better chose? We will head down Thursday morning. It will be just me and my oldest son. We will dive on Sat/Sun. Thursday and Friday my son would like to jet ski/ para sail.

I have already asked about Pattaya night life (live bands where you can dance).. What about Sattahip are there some good live bands there for me to enjoy in the evening?? Oh yes and I am a girl so not looking for the places that have a lot of bar girls. I know they are everywhere and thats fine

Any info would be greatly appreciatted I have to make the decision by tomorrow...

Thanks Peregrine8

Sattahip is generally deeper water with more current so more difficult dives. OTOH there is a famous wreck to dive (if you can find it, assuming you're on your own). Assuming you're in Pattaya there is also the trip to Sattahip to consider, particularly on the way back when you are sweaty and tired after the dive.

AFAIK there is no farang night life in Sattahip, maybe others can correct that if wrong.

Edited by Phil Conners

There are some good dive sites off Samae San, near Sattahip but as far as I know there are no dive operators based down there. They are visited by Pattaya dive operators on an occasional basis. The Pattaya sites are the place to go.

And, as Mr Conners says, there's no nightlife in Sattahip and an abundance of it in Pattaya.

Edited by Spalpeen

You could dive both places, for example Mermaids is going daily to the Hardeep (Samae San) und to the Far Islands in Pattaya. To dive the Hardeep you have to be Advanced Open Water and you should have some experience as the currents can be very strong.

Do not think there is any diving out in Sattahip Bay as it is heavily restricted as it is Thailand's main naval base.

My recommendation would be stay in Jomtien, 10 minutes from Pattaya but rather more tamer, there are a few places with live music in Jomtien but not sure about bands, but you can always hop on a baht bus down to Pattaya where there are many bands playing.

For diving their are 3 wreaks, the Hard Deep (a WW2 sinking) down at Samae San and two more sunk as artificial reefs off the Pattaya islands, my recommendation for dive operators is Mermaids based in Jomtien who have at last count 4 boats with choices on diving daily at the Pattaya Islands and down at Samae San.

The dive sites are:

• Pattaya near islands (Koh Larn, Koh Sak and Koh Sok), 45 to 60 mins from the pier, not the best diving, too many idiots on jet skis and driving speed boats only recommended when the weather is not good.
  • Pattaya Far Island, 90 to 120 mins from the pier, longer journey but well worth it.
  • Samae San is a small fishing village down the other side of Sattahip, 40 minutes from the Mermaids dive Shop normally in an AirCon van before transferring to a boat at Samae San, then a few minutes out to the islands and the Hard Deep, as said before the diving down at Samae San is a lot better than Pattaya and Mermaids also do a night dive every Tuesday down there.

Not the best viability in the Gulf of Siam but the water is always warm (28 to 32C), and there is plenty to see if you look.

Samae San is in Sattahip Bay, so there is, in fact, diving there. Only Thai operators are based down that way. You can hook up with a farang-run dive shop in Pattaya that can do trips there.

However, if you're diving on the weekend, you can get Pattaya's best dive sites on the Far Islands. Aquanauts -- at AquanautsDive-Dot-Com -- will do the Koh Rin and Koh Man Wichai on Saturday and the Khram Wreck and Koh Phai on Sundays.

If you mention your ThaiVisa ID name, you'll get 10% off as well.

Samae San is in Sattahip Bay, so there is, in fact, diving there. Only Thai operators are based down that way. You can hook up with a farang-run dive shop in Pattaya that can do trips there.

However, if you're diving on the weekend, you can get Pattaya's best dive sites on the Far Islands. Aquanauts -- at AquanautsDive-Dot-Com -- will do the Koh Rin and Koh Man Wichai on Saturday and the Khram Wreck and Koh Phai on Sundays.

If you mention your ThaiVisa ID name, you'll get 10% off as well.

According to my Admiralty Chart #1046 AO Sattahip is clearly marked, AO as I understand means bay, although I found many definitions for the word bay I think this is most fitting;

"Bay; a coastal indentation between two capes or headlands, larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf"

Quit clearly the port/fishing village "Laem Samae San", The Islands Koh Samae San, Koh Chuang, Koh Chan and the Wreak "The Hard Deep" are well outside the bay.