Red Shirts Must Stop Damaging Thailand

webfact

The OP mentioned 'reds' 10 times! He or she, mentioned the yellows 0.

The OP is one of the causes of Thailand's problems!

The trouble makers in Thailand?

1. Yellow and red mobster politicians, 2. paid flunkies, like the OP, 3. hopeless dupes and 4. The Stupid Majority who allows gangsters and bullies to fight over the pig trough.

LOOK, Western countries have politicians who get 'caught' in corruption schemes, but there a whole whack of them that serve honorably.

Can anybody name one, just 1, honest Thai politician??? Make a list, eh.

======================================================

Most people say Chuan Leekpai, but did he get 'nothing' from his brother's huge bank robbery?

Please note that the OP is a Thaivisa admin quoting a newspaper. And if you had bothered to take the time to look you would have seen that it is a translation from the Thai language newspaper Naew Na.

I can only assume you meant the original author.

In the future, please get your facts straight before posting inflammatory and accusatory nonsense. cheers

What does OP mean?

original poster, the original poster on this thread was posting a translated opinion piece originally from Naew Na. And as such, eggomaniac has it completely wrong.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does OP mean?

original poster, the original poster on this thread was posting a translated opinion piece originally from Naew Na. And as such, eggomaniac has it completely wrong.

Ahh, okay. I thought it means opening post or original post. Always not that easy to find out the 'narrative voice'.

• Like 1

The Economist has been pretty much spot on from the beginning of this self-inflicted crisis:

"This week Thais were encouraged to call a hot line and speak their mind. As television cameras rolled, Mr Abhisit and his ministers took a few of the calls. ... There is a much more systematic way to find out what the Thai population wants. It is called an election."

http://www.economist...539306&fsrc=rss

I certainly don't agree that the Economist has been spot on. I suggest their analysis is severly lacking in accuracy and professionalism.

The Economist was, for decades, seen as highly credible, not any more.

Please be specific.

The Economist has been pretty much spot on from the beginning of this self-inflicted crisis:

"This week Thais were encouraged to call a hot line and speak their mind. As television cameras rolled, Mr Abhisit and his ministers took a few of the calls. ... There is a much more systematic way to find out what the Thai population wants. It is called an election."

That is one inane thing to say.

I cannot remember one election in recent history in any country where the election of parliament MPs gave the people to have their voice heard.

It is however a chance for criminals to get elected on fake promises and flawed ideologies.

A vote for an MP does not give anyone the opportunity to say what they think, only an option between a few people that aspire to power.

Not even remotely the same thing.

And if this is the 'smrts' of the Economist being shown...then I am not impressed.

ah, well the problem here is that you don't subscribe to the idea that the people should control the government. Now that we've got that straight ...

• Like 1

I certainly don't agree that the Economist has been spot on. I suggest their analysis is severly lacking in accuracy and professionalism.

Please be specific.

I doubt whether he has any real idea.It has become standard practice among some expatriates to rant about the Economist's coverage (or any coverage that questions the smug yapping Bangkok middle class perspective.)The usual angle is to come up with a rather superficial explanation of Thailand's parliamentary democracy, followed by a fatuous anecdote about what his Thai wife and her friends think.How the elite journalists at the Economist must be impressed.I have yet to see one defence of Abhisit's "dead man walking" government on this forum or anywhere else that wasn't intellectually impoverished and politically illiterate.

• Like 2

I cannot remember one election in recent history in any country where the election of parliament MPs gave the people to have their voice heard.

It is however a chance for criminals to get elected on fake promises and flawed ideologies.

A vote for an MP does not give anyone the opportunity to say what they think, only an option between a few people that aspire to power.

And if this is the 'smrts' of the Economist being shown...then I am not impressed.

ah, well the problem here is that you don't subscribe to the idea that the people should control the government. Now that we've got that straight ...

Shameful strawman to hide the fact that perhaps you don't subscribe to it, if you don't agree that listening to peoples opinions could count higher than just tricking them out of their votes every 4 years.

Shameful strawman to hide the fact that perhaps you don't subscribe to it, if you don't agree that listening to peoples opinions could count higher than just tricking them out of their votes every 4 years.

What's shameful is your elitist condescention that the red shirts don't recognize their own self-interest - and that it has been repeatedly thwarted by the jackboot.

• Like 1

What's shameful is your elitist condescention that the red shirts don't recognize their own self-interest - and that it has been repeatedly thwarted by the jackboot.

Please quote where my post says that or retract it.

Please quote where my post says that or retract it.

Retract what? In a country like Thailand, when you state that people are 'tricked out of their vote' - you not only insult their franchize, but you invite a camoflaged elite to assume a paternalistic role in government. Mine was a fair characterization, I believe.

• Like 1

It is NOT the RED SHIRTS!

Read todays Wall Street Journal!

Sorry, I don't think I can find a copy of WSJ in my village.

Well I'm confused K. Rucharee.

You say the Economist is highly credible, so I'll therefore assume that you read the magazine regulalrly.

However you also say that your local village doesn't have stock of the Wall Street Journal.

Doesn't seem to be logical, so perhaps you could clear this up.

'symbiosis' date='2010-07-12 23:25' timestamp='1278951906' post='3745084']

I certainly do agree that the Economist has been spot on. I think their analysis is accurate and professional.

The Economist is, for decades, seen as highly credible, and a lot more.

From what I read in the article the Economist states that Thaksin Shinawat was the Prime Minister.

That is surely incorrect because as far as I can remember he resigned the post and was merely a caretaker PM with no government.

If I am wrong I apologise but he was NOT the PM at that time.

If they got that bit wrong how can they be spot on?

So who was in charge of the country at that time? Please give me a name. Mark?

If Mark dissolve the paliment today, Mark will still be the caretaker PM until the election is over and a new PM named.

1. Thaksin never ever listened to anybody, in reality nobody dared to even ask simple questions. Abhisit seems to be trying to listen and to seek involvement of the populace. Surely that can't be bad.

However we then have the Ecomonist making snide comments about seeking input from the populace. One would have expected that:

a). The ecomonist (supposedly an advocate for democracy) would at least have a neutral opinion about this action, which is not wrong /doesn't break any laws / is not immoral, etc. Further, I suggest the Ecomonist (if it is a democracy advocate) would have supported the involvement of the people (Democracy, of the people, for the people).

B). The economist should (if it tries to take a middle path)at least make some reference to the fact that ultimately Abhisit has every right to set the date for the next election (as provided in the Thai electoral laws and regulations), unless there is a substantive reason to impeach him. The oposition tried recently by conducting a no confidence debate, they failed miserably.

I say again, for me, the Economist has lost credibility.

You say the Economist is highly credible, so I'll therefore assume that you read the magazine regulalrly.

However you also say that your local village doesn't have stock of the Wall Street Journal.

:facepalm:

Ever heard of subscription?

plus FYI: The Economist is a newspaper not a magazine. How comes that you don't know that when you pretend to know The Economist for decades?

• Like 1

Credibility comes and goes over time, and the Economist has been around long enough to still be well in the positive for me. It is on the whole well researched about most subjects, and will more than willingly print apologies and print letters from people who oppose its views or challenge articles that it has printed.

I just applaud the fact that this edition wasn't banned as has been seen at various times over the years.

As for having phone in's, I see that Cameron is doing the same thing in the UK. It isn't a bad thing in and off itself, but in terms of being effective, one can only remember that there are no complaints, if you don't answer the phone.

I will wait to see which ideas Abhisit will pounce on and credit them to whom or will it all prove to be just a publicity stunt?

Answers on a postcard please

plus FYI: The Economist is a newspaper not a magazine. How comes that you don't know that when you pretend to know The Economist for decades?

Well if it's a newspaper, how come:

- I've bought a magazine called the Economist for many years (typical magazine size, , production style etc., as Time, Newsweek etc.)

- A quick Google search shows the cover of the current issue of the Economist magazine.

- I've bought a magazine called the Economist for many years (typical magazine size, , production style etc., as Time, Newsweek etc.)

- A quick Google search shows the cover of the current issue of the Economist magazine.

It's a semantic thing - the Economist, despite the glossy cover and "magazine format", has always insisted (for reasons unknown) that it's a newspaper.

It's a semantic thing - the Economist, despite the glossy cover and "magazine format", has always insisted (for reasons unknown) that it's a newspaper.

You can read the Economist online for free. At least the said article.

I am not sure about the Wall street Journal. The internet link was not provided.

You can read the Economist online for free. At least the said article.

I am not sure about the Wall street Journal. The internet link was not provided.

The web-address for Asian WSJ is http://asia.wsj.com/home-page, so yes you can read it on line

Sure you can read The Ecomomist on line, so what? It's a magazine, get over it.

we can only hope they do stop causing more damage to thailand

Not only hope.

We can force them to stop causing more damage to Thailand.

By increase tax on the poor (increase VAT to 10%), and reduce income/corporate tax for the rich.

And arrest all the red-shirts activities and farmers.

:facedesk:

The Economist call itself a newspaper, never a magazine and The Economist really like to insist that it is a newspaper and nothing else. Something a reader for many years should know. If you don't know you are probably not a real avid reader of The Economist, but only a pretender and big-mouth without any credibility. Calling The Economist a magazine = fail.

The Economist is a newspaper. Period.

• Like 1

Chavarat's remark was made as Thailand's leading opposition Pheu Thai Party (PTP) is preparing to hold a religious ceremony for Thaksin's birthday, the National News Bureau of Thailand reported.

This is the National News Bureau of Thailand report

Governors instructed to monitor local celebrations on Thaksin's birthday

BANGKOK, 12 July 2010 (NNT) – Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul has urged that all provincial governors should take care of the general situation in their provinces closely during the birthday celebrations arranged for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra at the end of July.

Mr Chavarat assigned provincial governors, especially those of Lamphun and Kamphaeng Phet, to keep an eye on the situation as the opposition Pheu Thai Party plans to set up stages in the provinces on 26 and 29 July 2010 to celebrate Mr Thaksin's birthday.

The Minister stated that the preparedness was ordered only in risk zones. He affirmed however that there had been no reports of plans to instigate violence on the mentioned dates thus far.

Mr Thaksin, as the 23rd Prime Minister of Thailand from 9 February 2001 to 19 September 2006, will be 61 years old on 26 July 2010.

Supporters of the ex-Prime Minister as well as those of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship last year organized merit making ceremonies in several provinces upon Mr Thaksin's 60th birthday anniversary to ward off bad luck for him.

http://thainews.prd....id=255307120017

How short their memories are ...! It's less than two months since this w***er denounced the red shirts ... "I am not their leader"...!!!

Thaksin - the mother of all flip flops.

Thai opposition to hold celebration for Thaksin's 61st birthday

Thailand's opposition Puea Thai Party (PTP) will hold a celebration on July 26 to mark the 61st birthday of ousted former Thai Premier Thaksin Shinawatra at a temple in the northern Chiang Mai province, PTP MP for Chiang Mai Surapong Towichakchaikul said on Monday.

The Bangkok Post's website quoted Surapong as saying the ceremony, which will be held in the morning, will be hosted by Thaksin's aunt Chansom Shinawatra.

Thaksin's supporters are invited to join the ceremony as it is expected there would be thousands of his supporters to be present at the ceremony, he said.

The ceremony, which will begin with a religious food offering for monks at Rongtham Temple in Sankampaeng District of Chiang Mai, will be followed by floating lanterns and balloons into the sky, he said.

Thaksin will phone-in to thank his supporters on that day.

Surapong said he is confident the birthday celebration, which will be held in a religious style, will not breach the emergency decree effective in the province.

Thaksin was ousted by the military coup in September, 2006, in accusation of massive corruption, and kept in exile since then. Thaksin returned to Thailand in February 2008 to face corruption charges, but he later fled into exile again and was convicted in absentia.

Xinhua - July 19, 2010

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90777/90851/7072047.html

You just got to love it

"Surapong said he is confident the birthday celebration, which will be held in a religious style, will not breach the emergency decree effective in the province."

Kind of like the whirl wind tour Thaksin took of 99 temples to gain grace. He was still convicted and sentenced. He can try all he wants to drag in religion he is still a criminal because he did criminal type things and in running showed his true self.

Thai opposition to hold celebration for Thaksin's 61st birthday

Thailand's opposition Puea Thai Party (PTP) will hold a celebration on July 26 to mark the 61st birthday of ousted former Thai Premier Thaksin Shinawatra at a temple in the northern Chiang Mai province, PTP MP for Chiang Mai Surapong Towichakchaikul said on Monday.

The Bangkok Post's website quoted Surapong as saying the ceremony, which will be held in the morning, will be hosted by Thaksin's aunt Chansom Shinawatra.

Thaksin's supporters are invited to join the ceremony as it is expected there would be thousands of his supporters to be present at the ceremony, he said.

The ceremony, which will begin with a religious food offering for monks at Rongtham Temple in Sankampaeng District of Chiang Mai, will be followed by floating lanterns and balloons into the sky, he said.

Thaksin will phone-in to thank his supporters on that day.

Surapong said he is confident the birthday celebration, which will be held in a religious style, will not breach the emergency decree effective in the province.

Thaksin was ousted by the military coup in September, 2006, in accusation of massive corruption, and kept in exile since then. Thaksin returned to Thailand in February 2008 to face corruption charges, but he later fled into exile again and was convicted in absentia.

Xinhua - July 19, 2010

http://english.peopl...51/7072047.html

Is he still alive?

I have many internet links that said otherwise.

redsm.jpg

New Red-shirt Group Unveiled

A new red-shirt group calling itself the Red Siam is preparing to launch activities, with the first one being a celebration of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's birthday in Ratchaburi province.

Red Siam group Surachai Danwattananusorn inspected a 20-rai plot in Banpong district in Ratchaburi which will be used to host a celebration for the birthday of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra this Saturday.

The group will hold its official launch at the event as well.

The event will start with an offering ceremony for holy spirits, followed by speech by the group's leader and phoned-in speeches by Thaksin as well as wanted lese majeste suspect Jakkrapob Penkair.

Surachai said Ratchaburi was selected to host the event because the state of emergency is still in place in Bangkok and neighboring provinces.

He added that his group is becoming active at this time to replace jailed red-shirt leaders like Veera Musikapong and Nutthawut Saikua and those who are still on the run.

Surachai affirmed his group's intent is not to go against the government but will help promote national reconciliation.

He invited those from all political ideologies to the event, saying everyone has the same goal of building unity in the country.

TAN - July 20, 2010

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1032446

redsm.jpg

New Red-shirt Group Unveiled

A new red-shirt group calling itself the Red Siam is preparing to launch activities, with the first one being a celebration of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's birthday in Ratchaburi province.

Red Siam group Surachai Danwattananusorn inspected a 20-rai plot in Banpong district in Ratchaburi which will be used to host a celebration for the birthday of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra this Saturday.

The group will hold its official launch at the event as well.

The event will start with an offering ceremony for holy spirits, followed by speech by the group's leader and phoned-in speeches by Thaksin as well as wanted lese majeste suspect Jakkrapob Penkair.

Surachai said Ratchaburi was selected to host the event because the state of emergency is still in place in Bangkok and neighboring provinces.

He added that his group is becoming active at this time to replace jailed red-shirt leaders like Veera Musikapong and Nutthawut Saikua and those who are still on the run.

Surachai affirmed his group's intent is not to go against the government but will help promote national reconciliation.

He invited those from all political ideologies to the event, saying everyone has the same goal of building unity in the country.

TAN - July 20, 2010

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1032446

If the birthday party event is true it means Red Siam have changed tack and abandoned their previous principle of moving away from Thaksin. Wonder what caused that