Software Piracy Hurts Thai Businesses

george

I was going to warn people about buying software in panthip anyway, so this thread seems an apt place to do it.

The police are checking out the said store regulary, I recently had just paid for my cd when the police arrived, the kid who had just sold it to me panicked big time and told me to go away, I did and was follwed around the store by the boys in brown and plain clothes. I decided to return the next day to pick my goods up and the boy was very grateful of my caution.

I don't know who was breaking the law me, him or both of us, but the gathers were deffo on my case!

don't open your software until you get it home!

B

Information wants to be free.

:o

cool... give us your credit card numbers & expiry dates, bank account number and PIN number, parents' phone number, wife's age, ........

cv

If someone was clever enough to get that information, I'd be happy to give him/her a job.

:D

cool... give us your credit card numbers & expiry dates, bank account number and PIN number, parents' phone number, wife's age, ........

cv

If someone was clever enough to get that information, I'd be happy to give him/her a job.

That person would not need a job offer once he had maxed out all your cards :o

cv

That person would not need a job offer once he had maxed out all your cards :o

Two cards and barely $50k between them. Skills like that would be worth $50k a month. And regardless, information wants to be free.

There is only one effective way to stop so-called software piracy:

Stop over pricing software (especially in relation to developing economies).

Also:

* Stop charging full price overseas for software that is clearly targeting a US based population. E.g. Quicken (personal accounting software with its 401 acounts and links to US banks & stocks), satelite imaging software where the bulk of the high resolution pictures are in North America, etc, etc.

* Start differentiating between commercial and private use. Allowing people to use free or significantly discounted software at home makes it more likely that these users will be inclined to request similar software at work.

Total rubbish! Next thing you know they will want to change the Mercedes and Rolls prices for the not so well off. Either buy what you want or do not. Price should be driven by demand and not theft rate.

For those working for large companies and looking for some extra income take a look at this: LINK

I hate piracy!

Mouse, gives us the BSA !!!, wow, well done buddy, here you have an organisation that has sucessfully prosecuted six times in Thailand recently. Get real, There are thousands of places here to buy Pirated software, In fact, to get a legal copy of Win95, I had to buy in Singapore because at the time they wanted 13000 baht in Pattaya for a legit copy. The BSA works here like any Thai company, make an occasional bust and scare the rest, the simple fact is that they could go out every day and hit 100 stores, why dont they??. The reason is, that the Thai govt wont let them, In Singapore in the late 1980's, They "allowed" illegal software and cloned Macs until they thought enough people had computers then they clamped down. But you can still buy illegal software in Singapore.

Lets look at some simple facts, what is the average wage in Eu/USA, and in Thailand??, so are Thai's who earn 20-30K Baht a month going to spend on legal software??, no way, they have to feed their family and look after the car.

If Windows was priced here according to the average wage, as against average wages in EU/USA then maybe they would start to make a dent in Piracy.

Oh and yes I have legal versions of WinXP on all three of my computers, and all my games are legit also.

regards

Freddie