Internship Opportunities Elt Bangkok (Moe, Universities - Anything Teacher Training Related)

Hey everybody,

I'm writing my final thesis about the quality of ELT in Thailand and have already taught at a couple of Thai schools as a volunteer myself, filmed lessons, interviewed teachers etc.

In addition, as the thesis is mainly about locals teaching English, I'd like to gain more insight into English teachers' education in Thailand, curriculum planning e.g.

One of my friend's aunts works for the MOE and will receive my CV soon (the departments of Teacher Education and Curriculum and Instruction Development are the most interesting opportunities) - however, I'd also like to get in touch with universities, especially their teacher training programmes concerning internship possibilities.

So far nobody has replied to my requests though and currently being located in Europe this is where you could be of assistance :).

Please drop me a line if you know who to approach and/or have a good idea about institutions which might be of interest.

Your help is highly appreciated and could lead to a chilled enteryourfavouritebeerbrandhere once I'm in Bangkok ;).

Cheers!

raga

I don't think too many posters on this forum would have too much knowledge about what you are requesting. Personally, I don't know anything that would be helpful, but we'll keep the topic going and see if someone can provide you with some helpful information or point you in the right direction.

I did my MEd Thesis (in Curriculum and instruction) on research done in Bangkok. PM me if you have any specific questions about research in Thailand (and in Thai schools) and I will give you my honest opinion(s).

IMHO, looking at local teachers (even of English) might require you to speak Thai or require the services of a translator....

I did my MEd Thesis (in Curriculum and instruction) on research done in Bangkok. PM me if you have any specific questions about research in Thailand (and in Thai schools) and I will give you my honest opinion(s).

IMHO, looking at local teachers (even of English) might require you to speak Thai or require the services of a translator....

Thanks, I've already made that experience ^^.

Will pm you!

• 2 weeks later...

It would be interesting to hear someone who knows what they are talking about explain the seemingly ridiculous logic of teaching grammar to people who have never spoken and may well never speak the language. I teach conversational English in P-4 to P-6 and most of the children in my classes are speaking in English for the 1st time. It would sure make more sense to get them communicating (talking) with some degree of confidence then try to fine tune it with grammar. I really think the over-emphasis on the arbitrary rules of grammar is why so few Thai children can speak any English even after years of it in school.

Bobr..

A splendid post sir or madam, getting our children to communicate is the first big step, partytime2.gif

Grammar is a long way off, did you learn grammar as a child at your mothers knee did I , did any of us ? No we did not.saai.gif

I am sure we all know the grammar Nazi's who profess to teach yet in reality cannot nor do teach their students. We all know the Thai whose grammar is impeccable but they can't speak English or string a sentence together for fear of using the wrong grammar point.sorry.gif

''Me today late traffic bad,'' suffices, I understand that the lateness was due to traffic conditions or, '' sick me was yesterday,'' I understand that the speaker was not well yesterday.whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Yes I would repeat the comment to them and then repeat it correctly and ask them to repeat what I had just said.

Leaves the speaker with dignity and often drives the point home without anyone being embarrassed. wink.gif

When I was at Uni many a year ago, our grammar tutor told us that all we had learnt from him 90% of it we would never use unless we became judges newspaper editors or word-smiths in the academic sense,

The remaining 10%,, 5 % would be used when we got together at conferences or possibly in the staff rooms, and the remaining 5% we would use without even thinking about it.

The man had written a number of books about grammar and its usage, however in his view communication was the main point of language usage, grammar was the window dressing.thumbsup.gif

Over the years I have adhered to his beliefs and found them to be totally on target.wai.gif

Edited by siampolee

The reason, in part, for the emphasis on teaching grammar is that it is rather concrete and it's easy to test. Thailand is absolutely nuts about tests, testing, test giving, cheating, selling answers, etc. etc. At many schools, KG students actually sit for a written test.

If it's about actual conversation, listening, understanding or speaking, then it is a whole other kettle of fish to assess and many of the local teachers can't generally do it.

So grammar and nonsense sentences are the assessment tool that is used.

The reason, in part, for the emphasis on teaching grammar is that it is rather concrete and it's easy to test. Thailand is absolutely nuts about tests, testing, test giving, cheating, selling answers, etc. etc. At many schools, KG students actually sit for a written test.

If it's about actual conversation, listening, understanding or speaking, then it is a whole other kettle of fish to assess and many of the local teachers can't generally do it.

So grammar and nonsense sentences are the assessment tool that is used.

...in contrast to the official approach of CLT in the latest MOE documents, which is a shame but not very surprising.

A couple of the tests' "conversation" sections I have at home consist of multiple choice options asking for the right answer to e.g. "What's your name?". One can choose between "7 o'clock.", "Boxing", "Linda" and "no, thank you".