Tot Internet

Will1

TOT internet,

I signed a contact for one year, with TOT internet supplier, never again waiting and waiting sooooooooooo slow.

i feel like taking the modem and hitting it with a hammer.

please tell me what you feel like doing with your TOT modem?

Around two years ago when I signed up with TOT on their 2Mb Goldcyber plan, I canceled after 6 weeks since the service was so s......l.....o.......w with many disconnects....gave the modem back to TOT. Switched to JINET over the TOT line for over a year...service was great but the JINET plan was a little pricey. Decided to give TOT another try with their Basic Fit 4Mb plan (still at my same residence)....been with TOT about 4 months on this 2nd go around...have had good results...super consistent in-Thailand speed of 3.5Mb and international speed that averages around 1Mb 24/7...and the international speed seems to get a little better each week...been averaging closer to 2Mb internationally for the last 3 to 4 days. Using the TOT issued Billion 5210 RC modem.

Your problem is probably DSL/phone line related (i.e., high attenuation/low SNR). Have you checked your line's/modem attenuation and signal to noise ratio?

Pib, just wondering what all these speeds mean. So say the "3.5mb" rate you mentioned. What kind of actual download and upload speed would that be? Download speed of maybe 100 KB/s or so? How long it would take to download 1gb?

To convert from Bits as in Megabits/Mb to Bytes as in Megabytes/MB you divide by 8.

So, 3.5Mb (as in bits) is 437KB (as in bytes)

You can do the math on the 1gb download, but be sure to determine whether you are talking Bits or Bytes. Normally, file size are quoted in Bytes and Internet package speed and speed results in Bits.

You can go to the Speedtest.net web site and run its speed test. The results also tell you how long it should take to download certain file sizes/types. Like just now I went to speedtest.net and ran a speed test to their Bangkok server and got a download speed results of 3.52Mb...and in the little chart next to the speed result it said a 800MB movie should download in 30 minutes. You can also use Speedtest.com to run speed test to various servers around the world.

Now, the actual file download speed you get for a 1GB file will depend on many factors such as your internet plan speed (i.e., 2Mb, 4Mb....16Mb, etc), download server location on planet Earth, what speed you get to that download server, server capability/capacity, file type, whether you are using a Download Manager or not, etc.

Cheers.

How long it would take to download 1gb?

There's no straight answer to this. The actual time it takes to download will vary as there are many factors involved.

Due to ADSL overhead, you will never achieve more than 85-90 percent of rated speed. For example, a 2Mbps connection will give you (at best) 1.8Mbps maximum download rate. It takes about 1 hour to download 700 MB on my 2Mbps connection running at 215 KB/s.

For me, speed tests and peer-to-peer may yield slightly faster results, but download speeds rarely exceed 1.75Mbps.

Do the math...