Scams In Thailand

skyaslimit

Of course you were scammed, and the fact you can't even admit it is even more hilarious.

If you are fully aware that someone is charging you more than the going rate and you agree to it, are you being "scammed". :whistling:

No, but his boss is, by him not the taxi driver.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One leave themselves open to a scam, because of the wish of getting something for nothing, there is no free lunch -you will pay for anything you get.

That's not always true, people here will take liberties because they know that farangs will usually part with money to make other people happy or to make themselves look good, which is why Thais know they can rinse a lot of farangs.

I've been with my TGF for a couple of years, lived with her family in Isaan for a while, we now live in Bangkok together. Her aunty has a bar on Soi 22, I'd never met her and my gf has only seen her a couple of times in the last decade apparently. A couple of nights ago we want to go out and play pool so my gf proposes we go to her aunty's bar to meet her for the first time as she had been asking about me at a recent family funeral I wasn't here for. Everything cool, everyone friendly, i buy a round of drinks for all 3 of us, we all have beer and go to play pool. I notice on the bill that her aunty's beer has a 50% markup compared to our drinks, the regular priced drinks weren't cheap either considering the shitty bar. Next round is (of course) me again, I order a beer for me and my gf, I deliberately don't ask her if she wants a drink but she brings my gf a beer and herself one, and then goes back and gets my beer and gets herself another one! So not only amy I paying extra money for her drinks but I'm now buying her more than I'm drinking myself.

I tell my gf to finish her drink and we are leaving asap and that if I owned a bar in Thailand or UK then my family members or friends would not be treated like this, in fact the drinks would probably be on me. I've been in Thailand long enough to know that you don't make a scene or we will lose face but I also know that if pressed on this matter I'm gonna tell how I feel. Even if she had just prced her drinks the same as ours I probably would have staying for a few hours buying her drinks all night but because she's played me for a mug she only got a couple of hundred baht more compared to a whole night's bill.

When bringing me my change she also does the usual trick of breaking the change down to the smallest denominations to encourage a tip, i.e. if the change is 500 then instead of a single 500Baht note it will come as 2x 10 baht coins, and 4x 20 and 4x 100 baht notes so you feel pressured to leave at least 20 or 40 baht tip. I felt good scooping up all that change and smiling at her fat face and I left with no goodbye or intention of ever returning to her bar or speaking to that aunty again.

So what was the right thing to do, lose face or lose money? Personally I don't see the difference as being mugged off like she was trying to do to me is the farang equivalent as losing face as people will just take you for a fool easily parted with his money and you will forever be paying for everyone bills.

Thoughts?

I would have mentioned it to the g/f after seeing the first bill, and let her deal with it, her reaction may speak volumes.

I dont give a flying **** about face, infact I think you lose more if you just accept the shit that goes on and accept it like a sap, my conversation would have been littered with a few chip hais and kee kongs.

Not content with ripping you off once she even had the bare faced cheek to do it again, another reason why I avoid all the clip joints on Suk 22.

As you say vote with your feet, her lose not yours, getting out of the dump was the smart thing to do, I would also tell the g/f no way are you ever setting foot in it again.

The change thing doesnt bother me, as others mention, it comes in useful for taxis etc., but in a situation like that I would have taken the lot, and smiled as I did.

One leave themselves open to a scam, because of the wish of getting something for nothing, there is no free lunch -you will pay for anything you get.

That's not always true, people here will take liberties because they know that farangs will usually part with money to make other people happy or to make themselves look good, which is why Thais know they can rinse a lot of farangs.

I've been with my TGF for a couple of years, lived with her family in Isaan for a while, we now live in Bangkok together. Her aunty has a bar on Soi 22, I'd never met her and my gf has only seen her a couple of times in the last decade apparently. A couple of nights ago we want to go out and play pool so my gf proposes we go to her aunty's bar to meet her for the first time as she had been asking about me at a recent family funeral I wasn't here for. Everything cool, everyone friendly, i buy a round of drinks for all 3 of us, we all have beer and go to play pool. I notice on the bill that her aunty's beer has a 50% markup compared to our drinks, the regular priced drinks weren't cheap either considering the shitty bar. Next round is (of course) me again, I order a beer for me and my gf, I deliberately don't ask her if she wants a drink but she brings my gf a beer and herself one, and then goes back and gets my beer and gets herself another one! So not only amy I paying extra money for her drinks but I'm now buying her more than I'm drinking myself.

I tell my gf to finish her drink and we are leaving asap and that if I owned a bar in Thailand or UK then my family members or friends would not be treated like this, in fact the drinks would probably be on me. I've been in Thailand long enough to know that you don't make a scene or we will lose face but I also know that if pressed on this matter I'm gonna tell how I feel. Even if she had just prced her drinks the same as ours I probably would have staying for a few hours buying her drinks all night but because she's played me for a mug she only got a couple of hundred baht more compared to a whole night's bill.

When bringing me my change she also does the usual trick of breaking the change down to the smallest denominations to encourage a tip, i.e. if the change is 500 then instead of a single 500Baht note it will come as 2x 10 baht coins, and 4x 20 and 4x 100 baht notes so you feel pressured to leave at least 20 or 40 baht tip. I felt good scooping up all that change and smiling at her fat face and I left with no goodbye or intention of ever returning to her bar or speaking to that aunty again.

So what was the right thing to do, lose face or lose money? Personally I don't see the difference as being mugged off like she was trying to do to me is the farang equivalent as losing face as people will just take you for a fool easily parted with his money and you will forever be paying for everyone bills.

Thoughts?

Matt,

You did exactly the right thing: no scene, no fuss, no tip, quick exit.

Even Mrs T sometimes dismays at the shortsightedness of some of her fellow Thai's. This woman would've done better to treat you fairly and perhaps even bought one round seeing as she had asked about meeting you. You would have gone back, and with friends and her business would've benefited. Now, you're never going back. Who ends up being the real mug?

I would have mentioned it to the g/f after seeing the first bill, and let her deal with it, her reaction may speak volumes.

I dont give a flying **** about face, infact I think you lose more if you just accept the shit that goes on and accept it like a sap, my conversation would have been littered with a few chip hais and kee kongs.

Not content with ripping you off once she even had the bare faced cheek to do it again, another reason why I avoid all the clip joints on Suk 22.

As you say vote with your feet, her lose not yours, getting out of the dump was the smart thing to do, I would also tell the g/f no way are you ever setting foot in it again.

The change thing doesnt bother me, as others mention, it comes in useful for taxis etc., but in a situation like that I would have taken the lot, and smiled as I did.

Yeah, I'm glad you said that cuz everything you said I did. I couldn't give a shit about face either, but this was my gf's dad's sister, and I love him like he was my own so I really wouldn't want to cause any grief for him by disrespecting his sister, but they do not get on (I suspect it's probably because she owns a bar in Bangkok) so I would have had no problem telling her the reason if she asked me why I was leaving so impulsively.

If you look at it she had the equivalent cost of 4.5 drinks to my 2, that was in the space of two rounds of us both drinking the same drink. If I had let this go on then I would get a reputation of being a mug, and I know a lot of farangs let this slide as they don't want to offend a Thai or not be liked hence the expression "farang ATM", but I'm not just the run of the mill farang tourist to her bar. I know that this more than will all balance out in my favour in the future as this woman will not be a part of our lives/wedding/parties etc etc and if she asks why then I've told my gf to tell her why I feel this way.

Thais are always for the short term win, the quick steal, silly really as I could have ended up being a lifelong customer for all she knew.

Thoughts?

Matt, you certainly are nobody's fool.

I think you did the right thing and everyone exits the situation ok. You're right, you just aint ever going back........

Her choice of destiny, not yours. "Well done" I say. jap.gif

It still comes down to value for your money. If someone is willing to pay a little more than the going rate to get from A to B then that is their choice. Sometimes it's just more convenient to not have to wait for a cheaper fare. One day I was comming back from a river tour in Bangkok at rush hour and the taxi put the meter on. But, due to heavy traffic it took over an hour to get to my hotel in the Sukhumvit area. I forget exactly what the fare was, but I think it was about 220 baht on the meter. Because the driver didn't try to scam me I gave the guy 500 baht for his time. A similar trip in Vancouver, BC or London, England would have cost over 2000 baht and we would be happy to pay it..

As far as UKMatt's topic of his GF's aunty and her bar is concerned, Matt did exactly the right thing. Like Matt, I'm also generous, but stop being generous if I know I'm being scammed. Well, scam is not really the right term. It's more like being taken advantage of. Generosity is a two way street and if it only goes in one direction then it's better to get off that street.

Edited by IanForbes

Of course you were scammed, and the fact you can't even admit it is even more hilarious.

If you are fully aware that someone is charging you more than the going rate and you agree to it, are you being "scammed". :whistling:

No, but his boss is, by him not the taxi driver.

lannarebirth - That is irritating . As I pointed out. I did it willingly and to save wear and tear on myself. The total cost of my time on a three day trip to Thailand is thousands of Baht an hour. The extra hundred Baht would not pay for 5 minutes of my time here. It is fully my call as to which battles I fight and which I do not.

Edited by Pacificperson

It still comes down to value for your money. If someone is willing to pay a little more than the going rate to get from A to B then that is their choice. Sometimes it's just more convenient to not have to wait for a cheaper fare. One day I was comming back from a river tour in Bangkok at rush hour and the taxi put the meter on. But, due to heavy traffic it took over an hour to get to my hotel in the Sukhumvit area. I forget exactly what the fare was, but I think it was about 220 baht on the meter. Because the driver didn't try to scam me I gave the guy 500 baht for his time. A similar trip in Vancouver, BC or London, England would have cost over 2000 baht and we would be happy to pay it..

See I don't agree with that at. Sure the guy deserved a tip but to pay more than twice the fare and more than an Thai's average days salary as a tip is silly and it is people who pay over the odds that ruins the "expat price" for the rest of us.

So many countries that I have lived in have been cheap until the Americans turn up and start paying silly money or not negotiating any prices so everything starts getting real expensive real quick.

See I don't agree with that at. Sure the guy deserved a tip but to pay more than twice the fare and more than an Thai's average days salary as a tip is silly and it is people who pay over the odds that ruins the "expat price" for the rest of us.

So many countries that I have lived in have been cheap until the Americans turn up and start paying silly money or not negotiating any prices so everything starts getting real expensive real quick.

Not really, Matt. I don't follow any set of rules for anything. If I get good service and feel like helping someone then I do it. If I think the guy is trying to "work" me for extra money then they don't get any tip. It's just like your girlfriend's aunt. The minute she started ordering extra drinks for herself you were out of there... and so would I be. And, in the long run she lost any future business from you.

Thoughts?

just one question ukmatt.

what did your gf think of a family member ripping off her bf and potential husband/life long partner (if that be the case)

not that im getting at you or the gf, im just interested to know if she had any thoughts on the matter.

Bought two tickets for the Thai gf and I on what turned out to be a farang-bus to Hua Hin (rather than a proper minibus) and a few minutes before it was due to leave was told (in Thai) by 3 men I had to pay 100 baht extra or the police would fine me 40k baht for travelling with a Thai. I refused (in Thai) and they stated I would not be getting on the bus if I didn't pay.

Sigh - go and fetch the police and almost certainly end up dropped off 2 miles out of town or reported to BiB for drug offences / get a refund and lose a night's booking at the Hua Hin hotel, or smile, say "I don't like the police!" and pay 100 baht?

what did your gf think of a family member ripping off her bf and potential husband/life long partner (if that be the case)

not that im getting at you or the gf, im just interested to know if she had any thoughts on the matter.

She said that her aunty was stupid but what happened is "normal", I'm guessing the preferential treatment for friends and family doesn't work in Thailand like it would back in UK.

At the time she didn't want to cause a scene as it would mean breaking face, and chances are her aunty doesn't realise that I left early because of the rip off but probably more because I'm a cheap farang or I had no money! :)

Being that her aunty must have heard that I am building an expensive house in Isaan and that me and my gf have been travelling around Europe and Asia for the last 8 months then logic should tell her that I obviously have money, but I guess it's more convenient to Thai's egos to try put people down than to face logic.

To be honest it's a bonus to me that my future in-laws don't like this woman as it's something else we are on the same for and this story belittling her for working in a shithole of a bar and trying to rip my money off is going to be worth more than the 250 Baht she managed to fleece from me!

Biggest Bangkok scam..

Going to a nightlife entertainment area and taking a beautiful girl home and then waking up in the morning hungover and with the ugly sister who tagged team her beautiful sister during the night :lol:

it always seems that way...it happens to my mates too :lol:

Thoughts?

maybe she was not her real aunt, but a mama sang or however you call the bar manager. They do call colleges sisters as well.

anyway, it seems, that there are still some old fashioned people projecting in a farang someone who has to pay as much as possible. Lucky if you didn't have to pay drinks for the whole staff including the toilette manager and the motorcycle taxis drivers outside. I would have ordered 1 for her and her and paid and left instantly.

It starts even before that! Seconds after clearing immigration you are already exposed to the scammers: At baggage reclaim the taxi services there want 1200 Baht for what is about 250 on a metered taxi.

Just go up to departures and take a metered taxi for the real price. As everywhere in the world never take any over enthusiastic taxi driver who is waiting at arrivals or outside a hotel, you will end up paying at least twice as much.

It's not a scam, 1200 will get you nice "limo", BMW or the likes and 250 from the que gets you 20 years old corolla. Bit like comparing singapore air business class flight costs with indonesian low cost carrier prices and calling them scammers.

I agree. Good post. If I have been on a long haul, especially overnight, I'm more than happy getting a limo. B1200. Big deal. Cheap compared with Singers or anywhere in the west. That is not a scam. Prices clearly printed. Where is the scam. Cars are clean. Drivers are courteous and can be asked to drive at a reasonable speed. Any problems you can call AOT. I've yet to read any 'Thailand - specific' scams yet. The Grand Palace scam, the card game scam, the jetski scam...all of tehse I have seen in places like India, Vietnam and Bali.

you forget to mention you bypass the taxi queue, dont have to listen to taxi driver radio and have a porter carry your baggage to the car.

wouldnt have it any other way, especially with substantial luggage and/or kid in tow. the printed receipt also makes it a hel_l of alot easier to redeem as a business expense or write off as an operating cost. a scam i think not. besides a MU7 is only 950 baht.

Thoughts?

My Thoughts !!

It is common knowledge if you buy a lady a drink in a bar, it most likely would be charged at lady drink prices when I was in Pattaya it was 80 -100+ baht per drink, I was caught once on that trick. Now if I buy a lady a drink other than the one I am with, I ask how much they are going to charge for the drink before I order it, if it is at lady drink prices ,I will decline to buy a drink, if it is at. regular prices I will buy it if I wish. and check the price entered on the bin.

After the 1st drink I would have drank up and left the bar. That was the right thing to do and never go back.

On the change in small bills ,I had that done to me in many different countries and it is a waitress way of trying to make it more likely for you to leave her a tip. Not a scam to me, you get your correct change but in smaller denominations.

Mike Armstrong's Post saying he quite enjoyed the 3rd eye trick, then it was also not a scam as he was a willing participant with his entertainment!

I also agree with IanForbes there are times I will pay more for special service (taxi) when I am tired or in a hurry to get home, also not a scam as I asked for a price from the taxi driver BEFORE the trip.Which again is not a scam as I was the person to ask about that service.

I am not saying there are no scams in LOS but those particular instances to me are not scams.

Cheers:

My Thoughts !!

It is common knowledge if you buy a lady a drink in a bar, it most likely would be charged at lady drink prices when I was in Pattaya it was 80 -100+ baht per drink, I was caught once on that trick. Now if I buy a lady a drink other than the one I am with, I ask how much they are going to charge for the drink before I order it, if it is at lady drink prices ,I will decline to buy a drink, if it is at. regular prices I will buy it if I wish. and check the price entered on the bin.

OK, you missed the point that we didn't just wander into a random bar and buy any barmaid a drink or I'm not some lonely sexpat trying to impress a bargirl by buying her lady drinks; she was my gf's family and as such, and being the owner of the bar, I felt she was taking the piss treating me as if I was just another fool on holiday for the first time in Thailand and ready to be fleeced of my cash. I cottoned on straight away that her bottle of beer was 50% more than my bottle of beer and it's only because she was family we stayed there for another round, but when she got herself two more beers the next time I ordered myself one then she really went too far.

You did the right thing Matt, you gave a chance to prove herself for what she really is, now that she showed that to you, you can treat her for what she is....:thumbsup:

2000B for a taxi in London an hour in heavy traffic ? How long since you were here ? Got one from Heathrow airport to home last week, 13 miles, little traffic, 45 minutes....try @5600B , £110.

Expenses paid for it but even so. :huh:

It is not just Americans. It is all Western nationalities, UK Matt - sometimes even drunken Brits (never when sober though). :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Mike Armstrong's Post saying he quite enjoyed the 3rd eye trick, then it was also not a scam as he was a willing participant with his entertainment!

I was a willing participant, but it's still a scam.

My lihttp://www.oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0737970#m_en_gb0737970nk

The guy was trying to trick me out of money. Just because I knew something was wrong, doesn't mean that he wasn't being dishonest and trying to defraud me (obtain money by false means).

Even though I found the whole process entertaining, I still thought it should be posted on here to make other people aware of it. As I said in my original post, I have never seen this scam before, despite being 48 years old and having travelled the world for most of my life.

jap.gif

My Thoughts !!

OK, you missed the point that we didn't just wander into a random bar and buy any barmaid a drink or I'm not some lonely sexpat trying to impress a bargirl by buying her lady drinks; she was my gf's family and as such, and being the owner of the bar, I felt she was taking the piss treating me as if I was just another fool on holiday for the first time in Thailand and ready to be fleeced of my cash. I cottoned on straight away that her bottle of beer was 50% more than my bottle of beer and it's only because she was family we stayed there for another round, but when she got herself two more beers the next time I ordered myself one then she really went too far.

I learn that 10 years ago when I first arrived in Thailand, If you buy a lady in a bar a drink it is usally charged at ladydrink prices, you do not have to be as you put it "some lonely Sexpat".

I did not miss the point, at the point of you realizing she charged you 50% more for her drink, Family or no family after downing that drink, you should have politely says your goodbyes and leave, no loss of face to anyone-to her or yourself. You thought that because you were married into her family, you should have had been treated different than any other person in that bar and in this case you were wrong.

Why purchase another round ?

When you realized she charged you "lady drink" prices for her first drink, that is the action that would lead to a "as you put it loss of face".

(My Thought) was that after you finished the drinks already served ,Politely say goodby and leave.

Cheers:smile.gif

Edited by kikoman

Bought two tickets for the Thai gf and I on what turned out to be a farang-bus to Hua Hin (rather than a proper minibus) and a few minutes before it was due to leave was told (in Thai) by 3 men I had to pay 100 baht extra or the police would fine me 40k baht for travelling with a Thai. I refused (in Thai) and they stated I would not be getting on the bus if I didn't pay.

Traveling with a Thai?:o Thats a new one for me

UKMatt - I think you reacted well. I've been treated better at random beer bars. Your girlfriend's aunt simply sounds rather low class. Also, she doesn't have a good relationship with her brother (i.e. you girlfriend's father). Therefore, by assocation, she probably does not respect you nor your girlfriend.

"Hi there

I know alot of people will probably be judgemental regarding thism but here goes, I wont go into all the detail but summarise the maini points.

I met a Thai girl online, who happens to provide an escort service. That was the initial intention, but then we got to like one another during the 2 weeks I spent with her. Shes educated and used to have a decent job, but allegedly used the internet after breaking up with her cheating boyfriend, shes 31 by the way. She told me her rate and I said it was quite expensive so I made her an offer , she said she would see when she meets me, was quite fussy about what I looked like etc.

At the end of the holiday she didnt ask for any money and appeared (even found money in the hotel and gave it to me) to be enjoying my company as I am a similar age to her and we got on very well sexually and personality wise, we even had a few arguments like boyfriend and girlfriend do, this had never happend to her before when meeting clients it was a more professional basis. I was ill and she looked after me, she seemed to care filling my plate when it was empty and glass etc. She even paid for some of the meal we had one day. Im going back in December and she wants me to visit her place where she grew up (maybe family). I have also spoken to one of her cousins (female) who saked me about myself and what I did.

She tells me she has no children and is quite open with me. By the way I dont find it difficult to attract women back here in Europe, so we seem a good match together. She even talked about cooking for me and if we were married she would care more for me then her MOM.

I know that she still does her job and Im fine with that, but Im not sure if Im just another client or if this is genuine (afterall she is a sort of escort), its 50/50 in my gut. We communicate now and again on MSN and email and text almost every day.

I know this might be a bit pathetic, but what are the chances this is genuine? I will probably know more in December when I return. "

This is what I read under one of the genral topics, "AM I BEING PLAYED " , so my question is ........................" is it a scam"

Edited by skyaslimit

Biggest Bangkok scam..

Going to a nightlife entertainment area and taking a beautiful girl home and then waking up in the morning hungover and with the ugly sister who tagged team her beautiful sister during the night :lol:

it always seems that way...it happens to my mates too :lol:

:lol: along with Soi dog taking a dump in your mouth and stealing your wallet.