Scams In Thailand

skyaslimit

Hey guys,

I am starting this new topic to give some feed back to people who have been or going to be scammed here in Thailand, I know various types been used to con new arrivals here starting from the international airport, to taxis, hotels, restaurants, tailors, jewelry, games, shows, prostitutes, lady boys, you name it.

So all of you guys living here in Thailand please post your personal experiences so that we can built a firewall against all odds.

Looking forward for the co-operation.:jap:

• Like 2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as you have a list of your own as stated, please let us into your encyclopedia of Thai cons that are different to the west.

For the first example " The Grand Palace " never close, but a lot of tourists are told the opposite and diverted to different places who are on different types of promotions claiming to be the last day opportunities to grab, one of my Friends visited Thailand for three weeks tried to visit " The Grand Palace" thrice and ended up in a tailor shop, a jewelry shop and a travel agent gradually, he will be here again this year and try to attempt another visit to "The Grand Palace":D

Seeing as you have a list of your own as stated, please let us into your encyclopedia of Thai cons that are different to the west.

For the first example " The Grand Palace " never close, but a lot of tourists are told the opposite and diverted to different places who are on different types of promotions claiming to be the last day opportunities to grab, one of my Friends visited Thailand for three weeks tried to visit " The Grand Palace" thrice and ended up in a tailor shop, a jewelry shop and a travel agent gradually, he will be here again this year and try to attempt another visit to "The Grand Palace":D

But this stuff happens world wide. Thought you had something interesting to put on a Thai list that we don't know about.

well how about TAT thing, any body can get a license and then over charge the tourists using the TAT name ?

oh gawd...no wonder farangs are driven to drink....

:welcomeani:

Never seen this sort of post before....

hey OP about starting these too.

how much sinsod?

how much too pay per month to g/f

:boring: right oh off to get :burp:

:boring: Now, that's a really dull one, so dull and boring that you can call that minor common knowledge :boring:

Hi skyaslimit

Good luck with your topic, it would seem you've drawn the attention of the TV experts, by virtue of a few more posts then you, (I've no doubt every post a Pulitzer winner) How dare you think you could put up a topic with only 21 posts under your belt! Lol Funny thing that all those slagging you off for a lamb topic, (Sorry! It is a bit lamb, ha ha) and patting themselves on the back……………..I may be wrong, (I didn't look too hard) but I can't see them having posted anything………for a wail……..If ever!

So, come on then experts, stop snipping and post a topic to match your 3rd eye perspective of Thailand and it inner workings. Show us how it's done.

To answer your topic skyaslimit, yes I've been ripped………..But luckily only nickel and dime stuff. Sorry no juice!!

Edited by Tonto21

It starts right at the airport in Bangkok. Someone with little or no knowledge of the airport and transportation system might get scammed into taking one of the free lance taxis for 600 baht (or more) instead of a meter taxi for much less. And, the whole free lance taxi system is a scam unless you insist on a meter taxi BEFOREHAND. Never, never, never jump in a taxi without first establishing a price. It will seldom be a huge amount, but usually far more than it should be if you don't know the average prices to get from A to B. The Phuket tuk tuks are notorious for their scams.

As already mentioned by Ulysses, the crooked card dealers from the Philippines are another trap for the unwary. Be wary of any overly friendly Asian. Invariably they have some slick con job they are trying to run.

The price of the bar girls and cost of drinks in Thai bars is something else that will eat up someone's funds unless you are forewarned. Before any transaction learn the prices of everything. Just ask. The prices vary widely depending on the location. For example, It's much cheaper in Pattaya than it is in Phuket or Bangkok. Same with accommodation.

Although it's not a scam, the price of most electronics is much higher in Thailand than most western countries. If you want a certain camera or GPS then buy it before you come to the land of smiles.

Again, although not a scam, busses are MUCH cheaper in Thailand than elsewhere, and you can travel for hundreds of kilometers for very little once you know the main transportation centers. It beats being scammed by a taxi.

Many beggers are run by the Thai mafia who put them out on the streets in the evening to con unsuspecting, sympathetic tourists out of their money.

Most hotels that have small refrigerators in the room run a con job. They stock the refrigerator with beer, soft drinks, water and candy at over inflated prices. Then, when the guest is leaving, without ever using the previously supplied items, the hotel says that certain items were used and will charge you for it. There is no way of proving it so the customer just has to pay. It is seldom a large amount, but it is a scam. I insist that the room maid removes all items from the fridge before I ever take occupancy of the room. Or, I stand there while the room maid marks off each and every item stocked in the refrigerator BEFORE I take occupancy.

All this can be avoided by simple research before coming to Thailand. There is a reason why the Lonely planet books are popular. Although most are out of date at the time they are published, they do give the reader a rough idea of the price of things.

• Like 1

I used to have a great laugh at the antics of one domino playing girl, When the punter was getting a little worse for wear out came the domino board, 20 baht a game. Every game that finished the girl would hand the guy his beer, turn the dominoes for him and shuffle...........funny how she always came up with a smile and double six to start........it wasn't a scam, just cheeky, and I'm sure she was allowed to get away with it by many for entertainment value. Still makes me smile when I recall the wide eyed faked look of astonishment that she had luckily pulled double six again.......:D

Most hotels that have small refrigerators in the room run a con job. They stock the refrigerator with beer, soft drinks, water and candy at over inflated prices. Then, when the guest is leaving, without ever using the previously supplied items, the hotel says that certain items were used and will charge you for it. There is no way of proving it so the customer just has to pay. It is seldom a large amount, but it is a scam. I insist that the room maid removes all items from the fridge before I ever take occupancy of the room. Or, I stand there while the room maid marks off each and every item stocked in the refrigerator BEFORE I take occupancy.

I've also become almost military in my approach to checking into hotels......and for this reason....

I booked a room at a supposed 4* place on Sukhumvit recently and on check in was asked to provide 2000 Baht for covering room service as their credit card machine was broken which I complied with. I was given a receipt which I left in the room while I went out for the evening.

Next morning as I'm checking out I can't find the receipt anywhere....different girls on reception.....'no receipt no refund'....you get the picture....I got the money after a two hour wait for the manager but my question is really ....What happened to the receipt do you think??

I've also become almost military in my approach to checking into hotels......and for this reason....

I booked a room at a supposed 4* place on Sukhumvit recently and on check in was asked to provide 2000 Baht for covering room service as their credit card machine was broken which I complied with. I was given a receipt which I left in the room while I went out for the evening.

Next morning as I'm checking out I can't find the receipt anywhere....different girls on reception.....'no receipt no refund'....you get the picture....I got the money after a two hour wait for the manager but my question is really ....What happened to the receipt do you think??

Hotels are easy to deal with. If anything goes missing from the room (including alleged items from the minibar and such as the aforementioned receipt) just ask reception to call the police. If its one thing hotel staff dont like its police wandering around the hotel. Everything will quickly be rectified and there will be no need for that call...

:blink:

Gee I'm sorry you are always getting scammed in Thailand. I've been coming to Thailand at least twice a year since 1977. I've seen a lot of these "scams". Somehow I've never been "scammed" by them. Perhaps it is because I have the common sense to say no, I don't want that "product/service/privaledge" at that price.

For example the hotel "fridge scam". I've never once had a maid clean out my mini-fridge in a hotel. I've never been "overcharged" for the items in that fridge (except that the prices ARE rediculous). All the prices are posted and clear. If I don't want to pay 3 to 4 times the rate for the same item outside, I don't use it. Simple. And if I get chrged for a lemon juice that I didn't drink...I tell the checkout clerk exactly that. It usually gets me a polite appology and the removal of the item from my hotel bill. I can read you know...and I can do basic math.

As for the airport taxi "scam". I guess it's in how you seee it. Is 600 Baht worthwhile or not. Consider thais: I work a night shift before I leave for vacation. At 7 in the morning I get off a 12 hour night shift. No sleep. I head to the local airport here in Greeece. A 30 minute flight to Athens. Then I sit around for at least 8 hours for the flight to Thailand. Then a 11 hour flight to Thailand. I often arrive early in the morning. By the time I get through immigration I've often been awake for about 20 to 24 hours with no sleep/shower/etc. So I take a 600 baht taxi ride through the traffic and heat of Bangkok to my hotel. Is that a "scam"? Not the way I feel about it? I'm perfectly willing to pay extra for the convienence and comfort.

Anyhow, I'm sorry you think you keeep getting "scammed"...but I think it's more a result of your attitude and how you see life. if you always regard everyting in life as a "scam" directed against you...that's all you will ever see. With a different attitude...you won't see life as a "scam" to be protected from all the time.

The truth is it's just life.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

What is his IQ?

It starts right at the airport in Bangkok. Someone with little or no knowledge of the airport and transportation system might get scammed into taking one of the free lance taxis for 600 baht (or more) instead of a meter taxi for much less.

It starts even before that! Seconds after clearing immigration you are already exposed to the scammers: At baggage reclaim the taxi services there want 1200 Baht for what is about 250 on a metered taxi.

Just go up to departures and take a metered taxi for the real price. As everywhere in the world never take any over enthusiastic taxi driver who is waiting at arrivals or outside a hotel, you will end up paying at least twice as much.

Many beggers are run by the Thai mafia who put them out on the streets in the evening to con unsuspecting, sympathetic tourists out of their money.

Again this is everywhere and I'm done giving to any non-disabled beggar after a Thai beggar lady who I gave 20 Baht to one night told me in Thai to "fuc_k yourself and I hope you die soon" the next day when I walked past with my gf and I told her I was sorry but I didn't have any small money today.

When I first came to Thailand on holiday in Samui I was a mark for the "card scam" mentioned here, which I think is also called the timeshare scam. Basically me and my farang gf at the time were walking along a quiet road and a Thai guy and girl arrive out of nowhere on a scooter, very friendly, and give us a scratchcard each. Mine doesn't win but surprise surprise my gf has a winner and the little Asian girl does a great acting job of jumping for joy and is elated telling us that she will get a few hundred Baht for being part of a winning ticket (this much I believe at least), all we have to do is go to an office at some time the next day to collect our prize. Of course I decline but they are very persistant and we leave the bullshit theatrics. Down the road are a bunch of people and I can't remember why but I realise that they are also part of this, so me and my gf go up to them and ask them if they have any of the scratch cards. They give us one each and again I don't win :(, my gf on the other hand gets three elephants in a row again! They go through their little song and dance of being very surprised and happy for us but we are already gone before they could finish.

I don't know exactly what the sting would have been but I think it ranges from attending a timeshare meeting to getting jumped and mugged in a remote place. Just an ounce of common sense would tell anyone that nobody is lucky enough to be given a prize winning ticket by strangers for no reason, but a lot of tourists must fall for it otherwise there wouldn't be so many locals trying to pull it off.

Gee I'm sorry you are always getting scammed in Thailand. I've been coming to Thailand at least twice a year since 1977. I've seen a lot of these "scams". Somehow I've never been "scammed" by them. Perhaps it is because I have the common sense to say no, I don't want that "product/service/privaledge" at that price.

As for the airport taxi "scam". I guess it's in how you seee it. Is 600 Baht worthwhile or not. Consider thais: I work a night shift before I leave for vacation. At 7 in the morning I get off a 12 hour night shift. No sleep. I head to the local airport here in Greeece. A 30 minute flight to Athens. Then I sit around for at least 8 hours for the flight to Thailand. Then a 11 hour flight to Thailand. I often arrive early in the morning. By the time I get through immigration I've often been awake for about 20 to 24 hours with no sleep/shower/etc. So I take a 600 baht taxi ride through the traffic and heat of Bangkok to my hotel. Is that a "scam"? Not the way I feel about it? I'm perfectly willing to pay extra for the convienence and comfort.

Anyhow, I'm sorry you think you keeep getting "scammed"...but I think it's more a result of your attitude and how you see life. if you always regard everyting in life as a "scam" directed against you...that's all you will ever see. With a different attitude...you won't see life as a "scam" to be protected from all the time.

The truth is it's just life.

You dont get scammed, you just are ok with paying more then you have to. AFAIK the Taxi using the Meter do have Aircon, are driving as well into Bangkok. Only difference may be that you have to wait 5 or 10 more minutes. However I do not understand the rush anyway, heard the Nana Parking Lot is empty anyway early in the morning. :ph34r:

It starts even before that! Seconds after clearing immigration you are already exposed to the scammers: At baggage reclaim the taxi services there want 1200 Baht for what is about 250 on a metered taxi.

Just go up to departures and take a metered taxi for the real price. As everywhere in the world never take any over enthusiastic taxi driver who is waiting at arrivals or outside a hotel, you will end up paying at least twice as much.

It's not a scam, 1200 will get you nice "limo", BMW or the likes and 250 from the que gets you 20 years old corolla. Bit like comparing singapore air business class flight costs with indonesian low cost carrier prices and calling them scammers.

Here is my somtams worth after rolling around here for a few years.

There are tourist traps and prices just like any other country i have been a tourist too...no difference

Yes, gullible people get caught in gem scams (a friend of mine did and he's a qualified real teacher in the UK what he lacks in street wise he makes up in academia intelligence).

Violent street crime does happen here and is increasing and will not go away i think people should be more aware of bag snatchers and pick pockets than -

taxi / tuck tuck drivers trying to get a few extra bahts....dropping a few loose coins into a disabled person on a bridge cannot do any harm and i would think actually does help that person and not the "invisible mafia pick up" that drops these people off and picks them up but is never spotted.

Airport scam ...well i once paid 600 baht at the old Don Meuang airport for a taxi and my Thai g/f who met me was outwardly smarming at the desk when i paid the money as she knew the taxi meter price...what did i care! nothing we got took to my condo in a nice mercedes...its only know i look back and think sucker! but i enjoyed the moment...

Last year on a trip to HK i booked the hotel taxi online at the airport and that was another limo service and 4 times the price of the normal taxi we took back to the airport...so careful of HK hotel / airport taxi scams ..! its weird how that is not written about as a scam but it is here in Thailand....

its all about word association..

Thailand - scams - whores - drugs - dangerours.... etc..

Reality is normally different and honestly i have had over 10 years here as a tourist and then living and have never been scammed and lost money but then i am careful and streetwise and have stopped a many a set - up in its infancy by just saying no and walking away just like i have done all my life in any country where the set up is happening..

There...

People comeing here need to be more careful of themselves and drinking too much and losing there money/phones/cameras etc and then claiming they were stolen...IMHO

:coffee1: Come on, let us know something really interesting that we don't know. :coffee1:

It seems like you knows a lot so come on give me something from your experience.

Well Im sure he's a regular walking encyclopedia of knowledge

Just to bad he's always to busy drinking coffee to type more than one sentance

:coffee1:

hey guys

this is not about that you can afford an overcharged price or not, its about scams the feeling that you have been cheated.

I am living here in Thailand for 23 years , never been scammed but witnessed a lot, you can even get scammed in a road side eatery where you can order a phad thai for 35 baht if you can speak thai or you can pay 65 baht baht if talk in sign language

And one more thing,

when I say scams in Thailand it doesn't mean that you get scammed by locals only, I saw French speaking Belgian, Thai speaking Japanese , Thai looking Filipinos and Indian looking Nepalese and Nepalese looking Burmese doing various type of scams

I saw French speaking Belgian

So, you know this person to be French national? Is it possible a French national could speak Belgian? <deleted> is Belgian?! People in Belgium speak Dutch, French, German and perhaps another 20 languages numbnutz.

Indian looking Nepali's (hmm, why might they look similar :blink: who knows... maybe they WERE Nepali? Maybe they were French!

I gave you a great link. Please just go away and read it.

Edited by bangkokburning