Rural Thailand, Theft

swissie

Met an old friend yesterday, that I haven't seen in years. Appearantly he and his wife own a small property (Basic house, vegetable garden, + some livestock, = all small scale.) The property semms to be somewhat "remote". No neighbours within seeing distance.

He claims, that he could'ent leave the property completely unguarded for more than 2 hours, otherwise "everything would be stolen". Is he exaggerating or is it really this bad ?

So then, you Farangs living "somewhat remote" in rural Thailand, what are your experiences regarding the subject "how long can I leave the property completely unguarded, until something might be missing upon my return" ? Thanks and cheers.

• Like 1

I know a guy who lives on a busy street in the middle of Udon. He claims he can't leave his shophouse vacant or he'll be ripped off as well.

We lived in two separate locations downtown Udon for 2 years. We left our home vacant for several days at a time, without any problems. Now, we've lived in the countryside 13 years. No neighbors within several hundred meters. We keep to ourselves but try to help out in the village when it's appropriate. And, we don't flaunt it.

No breakins, no problems.

yep its really that bad misses has bungalow resort on secluded beach last year water pump and 2 x 30m runs off cable that supply bungalows taken ,this year battery for generator ,dvd player and 4 light bulbs stolen,resort 100m up beach had an air con unit stolen and a farang house on beach got broken into 3 times last year he has now sold it.

now you know why you see so many security sysytems advertised everywhere.......

this is not in the sticks either krabi area

Edited by taninthai

Have a small house on an unattended farm. Shortly before it became unattended the cottage was broken into and some valuable tools were stolen. I removed the remaining valuables. It has been repeatedly broken into since with some remaining items stolen. The cottage has been used for drinking and drugs and other "social" activities. Recently the electricity cabling from the street and internal was removed. I have since padlocked the door so the only entry/exit has to be by forcing a window. Evidence points to people in the immediate vicinity but not necessarily neighbours.

So, in my experience, if you can't keep your eye on it almost all the time in all likelihood you'll loose it. I have a great distrust of all Thais now as a result of this and other experiences.

Have a small house on an unattended farm. Shortly before it became unattended the cottage was broken into and some valuable tools were stolen. I removed the remaining valuables. It has been repeatedly broken into since with some remaining items stolen. The cottage has been used for drinking and drugs and other "social" activities. Recently the electricity cabling from the street and internal was removed. I have since padlocked the door so the only entry/exit has to be by forcing a window. Evidence points to people in the immediate vicinity but not necessarily neighbours.

So, in my experience, if you can't keep your eye on it almost all the time in all likelihood you'll loose it. I have a great distrust of all Thais now as a result of this and other experiences.

My Wife's Brother regularly has chickens and ducks stolen, they are quite poor. Ranong area.

" He claims, that he could'ent leave the property completely unguarded for more than 2 hours, otherwise "everything would be stolen". Is he exaggerating or is it really this bad ? "

Hi Swissie, yes your friend is definetely exagerating, 2 hours? he must be joking! as soon as they see you turning your back, they are in, you might think neighbours might have another million other things to do rather then watch when the person on the other house is away, perhaps having a life or sort of......NOT.

I personally believe than even if it has not yet scientifically proved as yet, we might be in direct contact with the direct descendants of the Ebu Gogo's tribe, as you might be aware of, a couple escaped from the cave so the plan of the Jim Thompson's friends could reach the desired result....and also all those places named "GoGo" around us might be a hint of it....

g/f's brother in-law had his water pump nicked out of the field late last year, she always locks everything up, padlocks on the door when she goes out, motorsi locked in the shed at night. No major robberies but everyone seems to have their minds on security so it must happen from time to time.

This is right up north, small village outside Chiang Saen, Chiang Rai province.

Doesn't bother me I live in London, always look behind me before I unlock my big steel gate in front of my door. Security comes naturally here, either that or you get robbed!

When/if I move to Thailand permanently, I won't change my outlook on that. I think if you present someone with an opportunity to rob you, sooner or later someone will, anywhere in the world.

Old people in East London talk about the 'good old days' when they left their front doors unlocked. I don't think people were more honest then, I just think they didn't have anything to nick!

the family home is never left unoccupied, someone is always in the house at all times. My mil is (imo) unnaturally suspicious of anyone not related by blood or marriage. The house over the years has been modified but not so much externally as she doesn't want neighbours to know they have a bit more money. Times are hard in thailand & for many people, has always been.

I take it crime stats on burglaries in Thailand as listed below are complete <deleted>?

http://www.nationmas...ries-per-capita

Those type of statistics are not indicative of what really happens in poor countries, and the statistics are totally scewed. Most crimes in poor countries are just not reported because nothing happens if they are. In many cases the police themselves are involved in the crimes.

I take it crime stats on burglaries in Thailand as listed below are complete <deleted>?

http://www.nationmas...ries-per-capita

That's a wise guess, maybe the police (this word has almost no meaning in this country) NOT writing down reports or refusing to take any action against even a self declared burglar/thief might ring a bell on why i am so confident your guess is spot on, TiT as usual....:ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r: :ermm:

In many cases the police themselves are involved in the crimes.

Exactly, involved or even the masterminds, more interested in extorting some money from the victims, whatever it might takes, then catching a criminal or doing any goods for the society whatsoever

Swissie are you actually from Switzerland? there is a good man from CH a few miles away from my place, he told me to have very similar issues with locals around his property....

I have lived in Thailand for ten years and had been a victim of a crime once, in Pattaya at my house party with only friends invited or attended, One of those friends took my mobile phone from my home.

I have lived in a small Thai village for 4 years in that time nothing has ever been missing or lost from my rural home.

In the States my home in the middle of Urban US was broken into a number of times, I believe the Statistics on Greytown's post, Crime is more prevalent in the Western Countries than in Thailand, But is part of the anti-Thai movement exhibited on this forum.

Which is closer to the true facts!

Cheers:wink.gif

I believe the Statistics on Greytown's post, Crime is more prevalent in the Western Countries than in Thailand, But is part of the anti-Thai movement exhibited on this forum.

:cheesy: the "anti thai movement", what color is the T-shirt for that? and also if bad things happen, why do you want others to just appreciate them or put some censorship on them? "oh yes i just had a burglary but that was a good thing, surely he was poor and in need of whatever he took" someone try to kill you? it's obviously because he strongly believed you were going to reincarnate in something better after.....c'mon man! these are facts which means these crimes are taking places and the fact you try to play them down is not helping anyone, including yourself , so many crimes everyday are not being publicized despite all the victims efforts to make sure others are aware of them, it might happen to any of us at any given time, it should be also your duty to make sure the person next to you, being that thai/farang/whateverelse, is prepared, don't make a favour to the baddies by playing that part, wake up!

I have lived in Thailand for ten years and had been a victim of a crime once, in Pattaya at my house party with only friends invited or attended, One of those friends took my mobile phone from my home.

I have lived in a small Thai village for 4 years in that time nothing has ever been missing or lost from my rural home.

In the States my home in the middle of Urban US was broken into a number of times, I believe the Statistics on Greytown's post, Crime is more prevalent in the Western Countries than in Thailand, But is part of the anti-Thai movement exhibited on this forum.

Which is closer to the true facts!

Cheers:wink.gif

Totally agree with this post. The penalties are quite severe here compared to many countries in the west (developed world)including fencing stolen items + the consequences of being discovered breaking into someone's house here could be fatal.Most thefts here are from people known to the victims,friends,family etc.. or friends of these.

Totally agree with this post. The penalties are quite severe here compared to many countries in the west (developed world)including fencing stolen items + the consequences of being discovered breaking into someone's house here could be fatal.Most thefts here are from people known to the victims,friends,family etc.. or friends of these.

Have you been at that herbal baccy again? Nine time out of ten if, and it's a big if, the police catch the perp they just shake him down a bit and if no folding currendy falls their way they send him on his. The police only bother with crimes they can make money on, everything elses just gets swept under the floor (the carpet having been stolen).

Years ago a colleague had his house burgled, witnesses saw the vehicle drive off, there was a beautiful set of prints on the dust on the VHS player (DVD's not invented back then). What did the police do? A big fat nothing because he played it straight believing it was their job. What he no knows he should have done was to offer them an inducement then they might have got off they ar5es. As it was they were p1ssed off at having to leave the comfort of the police station all for a lousy farang.

Let's look at the number of times we or others whom we know have been the victims of burglary, and compare that with all the people we know and all the times that we or they haven't been burglarized.

Still, as posted above, it does happen, and true, it's probably happening in greater frequency now as the employment situation is poor, there's a greater inequality between those who have and those who don't, and there are more desirable things to steal. With those aspects in mind, greater security measures in most cases appear to be sensible.

Have you been at that herbal baccy again? Nine time out of ten if, and it's a big if, the police catch the perp they just shake him down a bit and if no folding currendy falls their way they send him on his. The police only bother with crimes they can make money on, everything elses just gets swept under the floor (the carpet having been stolen).

Years ago a colleague had his house burgled, witnesses saw the vehicle drive off, there was a beautiful set of prints on the dust on the VHS player (DVD's not invented back then). What did the police do? A big fat nothing because he played it straight believing it was their job. What he no knows he should have done was to offer them an inducement then they might have got off they ar5es. As it was they were p1ssed off at having to leave the comfort of the police station all for a lousy farang.

I understand your point about getting the police to act (that's another topic)but when they do the penalties can be extremely severe here + the prisons are 100 times worse.

Brother in law of wife is a chief petty officer in the police(20 years service). His son went to the big city with a bad friend and they robbed (snatch and grab) a Thai wife of a farang.Mobile phone plus cash.Despite offering the victim compensation, it being his first offence,no violence involved and his fathers postion in the police + a guilty plea, the lad got 3 years and served almost all of that time.

I have never been a victim of crime here in nearly 10 years myself and do not believe burglary is as prevalent here as it is in the west.Just my opinion from my own experiences, maybe I have just been lucky.

I think location is a major factor.

I have a Condo in Pattaya and would never buy a house here, simply because of the fact that there is a very good chance of being the victim of burglary.

I used to rent houses years ago, 2 problems occurred, an attempted break-in that was foiled by an inner security door, and mail theft, the mail thief was certainly a Farang who was trying to learn about me by stealing my mail, maybe he wanted to steal my identity, I caught him before he could do any damage.

The attempted break in was Thai guys. They had broken into several houses in the complex and eventually got caught after a shootout with the local Thais who caught them.

These events took place in Pattaya, in the early 1990's.

Up country I've had a house for 6 years, and never had any problems, maybe it's my 3 Dogs that deter people, I dunno.

In Pattaya, I would never leave a house unattended overnight.

I understand your point about getting the police to act (that's another topic)but when they do the penalties can be extremely severe here + the prisons are 100 times worse.

Brother in law of wife is a chief petty officer in the police(20 years service). His son went to the big city with a bad friend and they robbed (snatch and grab) a Thai wife of a farang.Mobile phone plus cash.Despite offering the victim compensation, it being his first offence,no violence involved and his fathers postion in the police + a guilty plea, the lad got 3 years and served almost all of that time.

I have never been a victim of crime here in nearly 10 years myself and do not believe burglary is as prevalent here as it is in the west.Just my opinion from my own experiences, maybe I have just been lucky.

I have been the victim of two thefts and one attempted theft, if memory serves. Once my spare mobile was stolen from my condo – could not figure out if it was the exterminator or the guy who delivered my modem (this was four or five years ago).

I had a mobile pick pocketed from me – taken from the holder on my belt – I don’t use one of those anymore. This was also about four or five years ago as well.

A trio of ladyboys tried to pick pocket me on a pedestrian overpass, but I recognized what they were doing immediately, and my wallet was in my front pocket anyway.

As near as I can tell, most crimes happening to friends and colleagues (Thai and foreign) involve their maids. Nearly everyone has a story of a maid stealing from them. Cameras, jewelry, petty cash. Even my last GF had her mobile stole by the maid in her office when she left it on her desk. This is much, much different from my experiences in the West.

This was all in Bangkok, so sorry if it was off topic a bit, just responding to the point about crime rates in Thailand. As far as I can tell, not one of these crimes was reported, including mine. What would be the point?

Most people do not put 2 meter wall with broken bottles on top, security bars on windows and doors, a couple of dogs in garden, security cameras, and then purchase insurance on contents of home, because they fear the Easter bunny or Santa Claus stopping by for a nibble or a drink. When you need to hire a armed guard with relief and supply a shelter, then you know it is better to be gone.

A farm storage building is okay for spending the night during harvest to protect same from theft, but we never leave anything of value/use there, unattended. Most of the farmers in our area bring what they need and take it home at night. fruit, veggies, etc when ripe or before are seen as community property unless someone is on the property.

Our fish pond was cleaned out, the night of FIL funeral. He was our residence guard for several years and no problems.

Theft anywhere in Thailand is a problem. Rural or urban. I read about break-ins all the time. And know many personally who have had thefts. Including one where they ripped the safe out of the wall and took it!

In my wife's village...a normal, small village in Issan...they have thefts all the time. One that happened recently was a scooter taken. Somebody took it while parked right in front of the villages "store" and while grandma was sitting not 2 meters away....of course, being 75+, she was snoozing. Now, her aunt has to pay for the scooter and she doesn't even have it.

Another was a laptop computer from her Uncle's house. The robber was a 12 year old neighbor. Lied she had taken it until they found it in her room.

My wife's Mom never leaves her house unattended. We never leave our house unattended for long...and when we do we have the alarm on...plus we are in a gated community with roving security guards. Thailand is definitely a bit low on the scale of the "property safety" list.

Here it is today, another great example on how widespread is this "culture" around us, now let's wait for the guys telling us "yes this is happening everyday in the west"...maybe in a circus? but i doubt they can manage such a performance with the same endurance of our local professionals :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/384695-jewellery-vanished-after-thai-dsi-put-it-on-display/page__pid__3760683#entry3760683

quite normal, isn't ? :cheesy:

Theft in the countryside is endemmic, whether it be the contents of a house, fish from the fishponds, grazing cattle and bufalloes, rice from the rice barn, motorcycles, farming tools, etc. Also riding motorbikes at night in the countryside can be a bit dangerous in some parts.

In the places in the boondocks where I have been, someone was always left behind to look after the house. I am talking Thai families here.

There seems to be a lot of crime and rising . My wife has i rai of land with fruit trees in Bangkok which is a little isolated and we built a small house to store tools and some personal items ,went there yesterday and somebody has broken into the place already 3 weeks after finishing construction .They took most of my tools and all the drinks out of the fridge.

During construction we had our electical cable ( 70 metres ) stolen twice and some constuction materials , we are now in the process of welding bars over every opening and barbed wire on the fence lines.

The crime rate in theft is quite high in bangkok .Community members have told us to be careful as there are now a lot of drug users and are breaking into houses everywhere , six of the houses around us where we live have been broken into one house lost over 1 mill baht , we have had to increase our security system and a live in maid..

We have been living out in the countryside in Central Thailand for about 7 years now and apart from some tools growing legs and hiding (but they did come back when my wife dropped a hint or 2) we have never been robbed.

I am usually at home most of the time and my MIL is there mostly as well.

The dogs let me know if strangers are around. They also practice howling at night sometimes to show me they are still on the job.

Touch wood we are ok up here