Thai Foreign Minister Affirms Democracy In Thailand

webfact

Foreign Minister Affirms Democracy in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya met with his visiting British counterpart and reassured that there is no need to worry about democracy in Thailand as this administration will push forward national reconciliation.

Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya met with Jeremy Browne, Britain's Foreign Office minister, who is on his official visit to Southeast Asia.

Kasit reassured Browne that Thailand is on the path to becoming a nation with strong democracy and the government's national reconciliation plan and national reform efforts, which are conducted transparently and with active participation from the public, will help achieve that.

Therefore, he asked that the international community not doubt this administration's work and the country's democracy.

Browne commented that the situation in Thailand has not reached full stability as the state of emergency is still in place in many areas, thus placing a constraint on the freedom of expressing opinions.

He added there is still uncertainty as to which direction Thai politics is heading but admitted it is not in any other country's interest to interfere in how Thais vote.

Thailand is the first country outside Europe that Browne has visited after being appointed foreign office minister.

His visit reflects the greater importance Britain has placed on the region and the rising significance of the region in terms of growth and economic opportunities among developing countries in the world.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-20

footer_n.gif

Im not sure if the Thai powers that be know what democracy really means heres a bit if a heads up feel free to add to the list

FREEDOM OF POLITICAL EXPRESSION

Freedom of speech

Freedom of the Press

all citizens being equal before the law and having equal access to power.

Rule By the PEOPLE

Thailand has a Loooooooong way to go to be anywhere near a democracy

Thai democracy in action... the poor are told who to vote for by their village headman and duly receive 200 baht :annoyed:

Hi Thaihog

Must be very different different in the village you live in ... I wonder where it is?

The Puai Baan... or as you call him "village headman".... is simply one of the villagers ---- he is elected by the villagers and just might be re-elected if he does not alienate too many voters.You seem to believe he is some kind of superior 'lord" who magically has dominating power over those villagers --- who vote him in (and out) of power.

Nothing could be further from the truth .. it is an old joke around here that we can always tell when it is election time --- by the depth of the wais from the hopeful. The independent minded villagers around here would treat any such rubbish with total ignore. That is -of course - if the Puai Baan were stupid enough to try it!!! If he wanted to keep his job --- he would not be so dumb.

In elections ( local & nationwide) money has always been given by the canvassers of both sides to the voters --- BUT --- never with even a hint of "requesting" a vote for their side. It is done (sadly) with a very different intent.

If you really believe that the self willed people of our village can be threatened/intimidated or "bought" into voting a certain way --- I would really like to see someone try to do so around our village. I shall have the video camera ready... it should be good.

Also there is something you could explain to me if you will be so kind.....

You are the boss & come to me before the election and tell me to vote a certain way -- and you give me 200Bt -- now I rush off to cast my SECRET BALLOT --:unsure:

I can see a small problem here... can you??

The president of Pheu Thai Party MPs has threatened to transfer the Chief of the Department of Special Investigation for failing to bring criminal charges against TPI Polene for making an illegal financial contribution to the Democrat Party, should his party come to control the government by winning 300 MP seats next election.

The president of Pheu Thai Party MPs also said that Tharit would be transferred should his party take control of the government

Link:

Todays example of PTP democracy.

Do what we want or your out.

The president of Pheu Thai Party MPs has threatened to transfer the Chief of the Department of Special Investigation for failing to bring criminal charges against TPI Polene for making an illegal financial contribution to the Democrat Party, should his party come to control the government by winning 300 MP seats next election.

The president of Pheu Thai Party MPs also said that Tharit would be transferred should his party take control of the government

Link:

Todays example of PTP democracy.

Do what we want or your out.

It is called check and balances and there should be no free ticket for govt leading party to be above the law.

If you don't like that you should move to North Korea or just honestly admit that you promote dictatorship.

THAI Democracy, the good minister has spoken , lets not get confused with democracy, these are two different subjects.

Isn't Kasit facing charges for his part in occupying the Airport and closing it down? Isn't Kasit the Yellow shirt leader who wanted to get rid of the elected Government? Isn't Kasit the man that doesn't want to hold elections? Usual Thailand all talk and no substance. I am sure Britain will be convinced that Thailand really wants to be a democracy as long as the British minister didn't fancy going shopping in Central before he left! Welcome to the Thai version of democracy whatever that is!

Thailand sure is a capitalistic democracy. We love badgering democracy in to government, its just the way democracy works in Thailand.

There will never be political reconciliation in Thailand and don't know why they keep lying to the rest of the world. All their thinking is "what color should we be"??

Thai democracy in action... the poor are told who to vote for by their village headman and duly receive 200 baht :annoyed:

Hi Thaihog

Must be very different different in the village you live in ... I wonder where it is?

The Puai Baan... or as you call him "village headman".... is simply one of the villagers ---- he is elected by the villagers and just might be re-elected if he does not alienate too many voters.You seem to believe he is some kind of superior 'lord" who magically has dominating power over those villagers --- who vote him in (and out) of power.

Nothing could be further from the truth .. it is an old joke around here that we can always tell when it is election time --- by the depth of the wais from the hopeful. The independent minded villagers around here would treat any such rubbish with total ignore. That is -of course - if the Puai Baan were stupid enough to try it!!! If he wanted to keep his job --- he would not be so dumb.

In elections ( local & nationwide) money has always been given by the canvassers of both sides to the voters --- BUT --- never with even a hint of "requesting" a vote for their side. It is done (sadly) with a very different intent.

If you really believe that the self willed people of our village can be threatened/intimidated or "bought" into voting a certain way --- I would really like to see someone try to do so around our village. I shall have the video camera ready... it should be good.

Also there is something you could explain to me if you will be so kind.....

You are the boss & come to me before the election and tell me to vote a certain way -- and you give me 200Bt -- now I rush off to cast my SECRET BALLOT --:unsure:

I can see a small problem here... can you??

Please do get your camera, would really love to see, but this could endanger you and your family!!

"Yup Mr. Farang, you want the hear that we have a Democracy, please take a close look, you see we have a lower house, an upper house, judges, and elections. Unfortunately, we haven't got the boys in green to keep their fingers out of it, and those pesky villagers just refuse to understand that voting should be only for people that they agree with. But give us another 70 odd years, and we will work it out."

THAI Democracy, the good minister has spoken , lets not get confused with democracy, these are two different subjects.

Isn't Kasit facing charges for his part in occupying the Airport and closing it down? Isn't Kasit the Yellow shirt leader who wanted to get rid of the elected Government? Isn't Kasit the man that doesn't want to hold elections? Usual Thailand all talk and no substance. I am sure Britain will be convinced that Thailand really wants to be a democracy as long as the British minister didn't fancy going shopping in Central before he left! Welcome to the Thai version of democracy whatever that is!

Thai democracy is a mish mash of the word democracy, two different issues, unfortunately

Thai democracy is a mish mash of the word democracy, two different issues, unfortunately

Thaimockracy