It'S Only 10 Baht More

MrBrad

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hel_l it's only 10 baht.....but, 10 baht twice a day, 365 days a year equals about US$220.00 !!! Now thats better in your pocket than the vendor's. CM-Bangkok return with Air Asia plus some change.

Sure, you may not eat there every day, twice a day, or 365 days a year, but many places would be trying farang on, so it could be anything between $50 and $220 at 10 baht a meal.

Tipping is a different story, and if you choose to tip, that's OK, but the vendor/restaurant taking their tip is quite different.

Edited by F4UCorsair

The farangs that overpay assume that Thais respect them 'more' for being generous, in reality they are viewed as a crop that needs harvesting - dumb cattle.

Yeah, but you have to understand that certain nationalities, particularly Americans, are strongly conditioned to a tipping culture from a very early age. It's hard to shake for many people even in completely inappropriate new situations.

iainiain101 wrote

I think you would still refer to black foreigners as Farang. Thais, especially up North do not have much exposure to coloured foreigners. You should warn any Thais never to address coloured foreigners as 'Khun'. saw this cause a terrible fight once

Probably the black foreigner had mistaken the word "Khun" for being called a "Coon" which is a very offensive name to call coloured people. It is just about as offensive as using the word "Nigger" to them.

Saying that we have in Australia a brand of cheese called Coon. I have often tried to picture it sitting on the shelves of the UK supermarkets. Would probably be banned quick smart by all the do gooders.

Edited by greenwood0311

Here we go again with double pricing. This time at the market.

Several times a week for the past couple of months I've been dining at the local market. The menu there is printed in both Thai and English. And I've always enjoyed a number of tasty dishes that the friendly cook had prepared. That's why I continued to return: good food, delightful cook, oh, and of course, the cost was always only 25 or 30 baht for most things, an occasional 40 baht for something nicer.

Well, yesterday after I ordered I got to browsing the menu and I noticed that one of the menus was in Thai only. Looking closer I saw that the dish I had ordered--chicken and cashews with rice--was only 30 baht. I had been paying 40, and was expecting to pay the same last evening. I picked up another menu, the one with English and Thai, and saw that, yes, the same dish was 33% higher.

I immediately asked the cook what the difference was (other than 10 baht), and she said that the higher price menu was for tourists. Grrrr. I told her that I wanted to pay the Thai price, but she continued to say that I was a tourist. After a bit more conversation she relented and said that I could pay the lower price, but this time only.

Unfortunately for her and me that was the last time I will eat there. She had always been friendly and attentive, but she'd been fleecing me all along. It's not the 10 baht or the 5 baht difference on a plate of fried rice. I just don't like the deliberate deceptiveness. Buyer beware.

iainiain101 wrote

I think you would still refer to black foreigners as Farang. Thais, especially up North do not have much exposure to coloured foreigners. You should warn any Thais never to address coloured foreigners as 'Khun'. saw this cause a terrible fight once

Probably the black foreigner had mistaken the word "Khun" for being called a "Coon" which is a very offensive name to call coloured people. It is just about as offensive as using the word "Nigger" to them.

Saying that we have in Australia a brand of cheese called Coon. I have often tried to picture it sitting on the shelves of the UK supermarkets. Would probably be banned quick smart by all the do gooders.

Haha! Reminds me of the old Darkie toothpaste. They had to change the name to Darlie. Still available and good stuff BTW...

iainiain101 wrote

I really wonder if the average non-American naturally dark skinned person even knows the meaning of the American word "Coon".

Haha! Reminds me of the old Darkie toothpaste. They had to change the name to Darlie. Still available and good stuff BTW...

they changed the name to darlie? that's the toothpaste with the al jolson silhouette.

on the box. i thought 'darlie' was just a spelling mistake.

that explains it then....was shopping at a 1RMB store in southern guangxi, found a box

of toothpaste marked 'darkie. thought it was strange they'd make a cheap pirate copy

of a cheap toothpaste. would much rather brush me teeth with CLEST or CORGATE....while

wearing the KELVIN KRAIN undies i found in guangzhou.

they changed the name to darlie? that's the toothpaste with the al jolson silhouette.

on the box. i thought 'darlie' was just a spelling mistake.

that explains it then....was shopping at a 1RMB store in southern guangxi, found a box

of toothpaste marked 'darkie. thought it was strange they'd make a cheap pirate copy

of a cheap toothpaste. would much rather brush me teeth with CLEST or CORGATE....while

wearing the KELVIN KRAIN undies i found in guangzhou.

The original black silhouette on the box had a big white-toothed smile on it. And the mfr was an English company IINM, Hawley & Hazel or something like that.

Kelvin Krain undies?? You're starting to make me wonder about my authentic Relox watch I bought in Bangkok years ago. But it did say it was made in Swizerland!

Kelvin Krain undies?? You're starting to make me wonder about my authentic Relox watch I bought in Bangkok years ago. But it did say it was made in Swizerland!

I also bought a Relox and I know it had to be authentic because it cost me nearly $1000USD after bargaining the shop owner down from $2000USD. :whistling:

..reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when I was in MBK and there was a stall selling "gold" necklaces at 80 baht. A couple of Farang girls asked the stall owner "Is it real gold?". :lol:

Of course the other funny thing was the stall owners response of "yes. ..same same gold".

you did the right thing by voting with your feet.

I'd vote with my feet too.

By walking past her to the next stall every single lunch and dinner time, then walking back past her with my food while informing her that it's the 'same price Thai'.

I'd do this for about 20 years or so.

..reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when I was in MBK and there was a stall selling "gold" necklaces at 80 baht. A couple of Farang girls asked the stall owner "Is it real gold?". :lol:

Of course the other funny thing was the stall owners response of "yes. ..same same gold".

ha ha....I remember walking around the same store a few years ago and one shop was having a "shit sale"

I took a pic with my phone and then got my wife to tell them of their missing "R"

ha ha....I remember walking around the same store a few years ago and one shop was having a "shit sale"

I took a pic with my phone and then got my wife to tell them of their missing "R"

Probably no mistake. Did you check the quality

Well, as an Aussie, where calling Koorie (used to be unacceptable, but now acceptable) Coons (very unacceptable) used to be pretty normal, I had never thought of the Khun referrence, even after the first post here.... It wasn't until later when someone explained it that I understood... don't know how many American People of Color would have been concerned, but I will keep it in mind...

As for the OP... 10 baht, good on you... hope you add up all your 10 bahts... 3 times a week, 40 weeks a year... 1200 baht, 37.2497 USD and decide that eating second rate food from a less friendly stall was worthwhile...

Maybe you would like to swap roles with the Average Thai on the Average Wage of 200baht/day... nope, double pricing arguements don't tend to work that way, do they??? :rolleyes:

Maybe you would like to swap roles with the Average Thai on the Average Wage of 200baht/day... nope, double pricing arguements don't tend to work that way, do they??? :rolleyes:

So you are saying the Thais making great wages get charged the tourist price? I didn't think so. So you are saying low wealth/low income foreigners get the Thai price at a double pricing joint? I didn't think so. Deciding who is rich or not by race is evil.

I agree with you but................. you like the place, the food and the higher price was still a good deal. By not going "you cut off your nose to spite your face". Although I dont like it I would continue going since you do like it like it is, in spite of her attempt to fleece you. At least now she knows you know.

I have been in this situation before and like you stopped going only to pay more somewhere else that wasnt as good. I went back but was just a little less friendly.

I understand what you are saying, but in these situations the food tends to lose its flavour.

Yes and I'd ask her what constitutes a tourist? What is the length of time or how much money one must invest or have residency to become a regular part of the community?? Just for fun I'd also produce my Thai drivers license and inform her that it is the norm for establishments to consider that as a show of residency and therefore not a tourist nor tourist pricing.. If no good answers come from that I'd move on, but first make sure she is fully understanding of WHY?

She was pretty cheeky to have separate menus though, quite practiced that one..

For what it's worth, I have moved on, and surprisingly or not I've found a couple of other very nice eating places with pleasant management and staff who serve up tasty dishes, and every time I've been charged the price that's written in Thai on the menu board on the wall.

I've said it before, but it probably bears repeating, it's not about the 10 baht. But having said that, how much variance from the Thai price is tolerable? If the standard portion plate of fried rice cost 50 baht more than the 25 baht the Thai are paying, would that be supportable? 75 baht and quite a bit more is not unheard of in many restaurants, so why doesn't the woman at the market food stall charge that much for farang?

For what it's worth, I have moved on, and surprisingly or not I've found a couple of other very nice eating places with pleasant management and staff who serve up tasty dishes, and every time I've been charged the price that's written in Thai on the menu board on the wall.

I've said it before, but it probably bears repeating, it's not about the 10 baht. But having said that, how much variance from the Thai price is tolerable? If the standard portion plate of fried rice cost 50 baht more than the 25 baht the Thai are paying, would that be supportable? 75 baht and quite a bit more is not unheard of in many restaurants, so why doesn't the woman at the market food stall charge that much for farang?

I'm with you on this one MrBrad. And even when back home I felt the same way. If I didn't get good service or felt my business wasn't appreciated, I found some place else to go. There's plenty of places that want your money, and you're better off finding a place where they appreciate it.

:lol: :lol:

Considering the quality, they had it right the first time. :lol:

I always thought this lawyer's sign was appropriate...

Jomptien_2008_001.sized.jpg