Speed Cameras

Got a little surprise in the mail on Monday:

A speeding ticket. :blink:

I was photgraphed on the motorway - exceeding the limit by 11 km's per hour. (KM 21 to be precise)

Notice, fine and photograph came 10 days later.

Interesting note - the fine was for 500B, however, on the notice the maximum fine that could be applied was 5000B. No demerit points applied.

So - keep an eye on your speedo, or watch out for those cameras. :D

Had the same last month, but for jumping a red light. 500 baht payable in the post office.

I actually heard the cops were using concrete flower pots to hide the cameras in......apparently they have a team of old ladies to move the pots around to various locations. I suspect all of this will mean something to u onutter. :lol:

If I wanted to put up with petty nonsense such as this, I could have stayed in America. It's sad to see Thailand following the Western Countries in this Orwellian snoopervison. No doubt the equipment came from Britain or the USA.

I got nailed for 168 (I was really going faster), and the fine was only 900 baht near the same place. They usually seem to wait at the toll booths and motion you over.

I doubt if Thailand will ever fully automate this because a fully automated system could not be programmed to ignore the elite, to whom the laws do not apply.

Edited by Bobr

Neverdie, ha ha. And I wonder why nobody will get into my car!

Ive spotted you about bangers a couple of times but can never catch up to you to get in.......i imagine alot of people have a problem at keeping up, my guess is your too fast for the cameras, as well. laugh.gif

Soundman - how much of your vehicle did the photograph show? Enough to see yourself in the vehicle? Or were you caught in the speed trap and then subsequently photographed at the toll booth (where they have the camera's installed also)?

<deleted> the fine, that can be paid - what happens if the GF opens the mailbox and sees you in the car with another woman????? Now that's a REAL problem! :P Yet another reason to tint the crap out of your car here in LOS!

p.s. Has anybody ever gotten one of these types of tickets at night?

Soundman - how much of your vehicle did the photograph show? Enough to see yourself in the vehicle? Or were you caught in the speed trap and then subsequently photographed at the toll booth (where they have the camera's installed also)?

<deleted> the fine, that can be paid - what happens if the GF opens the mailbox and sees you in the car with another woman????? Now that's a REAL problem! :P Yet another reason to tint the crap out of your car here in LOS!

I dread to think of what could happen if that's the case. Just as well I do not drive around with other girls in my car. The photo of my car was clear but the car was to far away to see inside, there was a zoom in on the plate on the 2nd photo but that only covered the rear end of the car.

The photo shows the front half of the vehicle (appeared to be taken from a slightly elevated position), number plate clear as day; even the small "jungwat" writing can be read clearly, however, cannot actually see who is driving the vehicle, (I have a very slight UV tint on the front windshield).

I got pulled up 10 km North of Udon Thani on the way to Nong Khai for doing 120 km/h, copper said the camera had me at that, gave him 200b and all was well. If it was that cheap and no demerit points in Aust. I might have stayed there - no, still not a good enough reason. I certainly hope they don't follow the path of "civilized" western countries in this regard, and flood the country with these radar cameras, however they probably will as it's an easy way to make a lot of money.