Small Thai English Dictionaries

Totster

Which small Thai English dictionary is best (small pocket sized - obviously the larger ones are superior)  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have had the dictionary published by Paiboon Poomsan Publishing before until I lost it a few months ago...which I found fine..

I was going to replace it, and whilst looking on the net to order I came across the Robertson/Tuttle one...

So which one do you reckon is best... ?

I have included the ISBN numbers in the poll as I couldn't put much of a description in the Poll fields..

totster :o

Robertson's Practical English-Thai Dictionary. I carried this with me all the time for the 1st couple of years here. It fits nicely in the back pocket is one reason I liked it, plus the word selection is very good. Actually had to buy a 2nd copy because I wore out the 1st one even though it is very durable.

I actually voted for both equally - because I think they're both very good in different ways. The Robertson for helping to make yourself understood (the choice of meanings and phrases is great) and the phonetics used seemed a very good guide to pronounciation. The Paiboon Poomsan is more comprehensive and the ability to look up both romanised and original Thai script is very valuable while you're learning.

Pushed for a choice, I'd say: start with the Robertson because you'll progress faster and get more done - then graduate to the Paiboon Poomsan.

I don't think these two dictionaries are really comparable. One is a Thai-English, English-Thai dic, the other English-Thai only. Hence right from the get-go, you're getting more value with the Becker (that's the one referred to in the poll as 'Paiboon Poomsan', actually the author's name is Benjawan Poomsan Becker and it's usually referred to as the 'Becker'; perhaps an earlier edition credited it to Paiboon Poomsan?)

Robertson's is purely a beginner's dic, I'd say, has far fewer entries than most other small English-Thai dictionaries. I find the Roman transcriptions really hard to follow myself, but that's a personal matter and once you can read Thai script, you don't need them anyway.

More comparable with Robertson is the E-T pocket dic published by Floating Lotus, called The Bua Luang Compact WYSIWYS English-Thai Dictionary. Of those two, I thought the Bua Luang was much better. In fact before the Becker dic came out, the Floating Lotus was the best pocket tome available, I think. I haven't seen it around lately, it may not be in print anymore.

Becker is now best in terms of comprehensiveness and accuracy, in my opinion. If you check the respective Amazon reviews for these two titles, you'll see most user reviews agree though. One reviewer pointed out that Robertson contains quite a few Thai spelling errors.

Amazon reviews:

Robertson

Becker

Several Thai companies also put out small pocket E-T dictionaries, very cheap.

(that's the one referred to in the poll as 'Paiboon Poomsan', actually the author's name is  Benjawan Poomsan Becker and it's usually referred to as the 'Becker'; perhaps an earlier edition credited it to Paiboon Poomsan?)

The Poll actually says " pub Paiboon Poomsan ".. the "pub" bit standing for "publisher / published by"..., room was limited so I had to shorten the word... also the reason I put the ISBN numbers there.

Anyway.. like I have said I had the "Becker" before but I lost it... I was quite happy with it ... and based on what you say Sabaijai, I reckon I'l probably get that one again...

My main reason for the poll was to see if the Robertsons was any better or had anything more to offer.. it seems not..

Cheers

Totster :o

The Poll actually says " pub Paiboon Poomsan  ".. the "pub" bit standing for "publisher / published by"..., room was limited so I had to shorten the word... also the reason I put the ISBN numbers there.

Right, I totally missed that.

:o

Manichs Thai/English English/Thai......available in Bookzine stores...although the current edition is a bit bigger.....This is used by a lot of Thais here in Perth.

Robertsons is a good one especially for people with limited knowledge.....the phonetics are the best I have found....unforunately it is limited on the amount of content but still a handy quick reference book.

I have had the dictionary published by Paiboon Poomsan Publishing before until I lost it a few months ago...which I found fine..

I was going to replace it, and whilst looking on the net to order I came across the Robertson/Tuttle one...

So which one do you reckon is best... ?

I have included the ISBN numbers in the poll as I couldn't put much of a description in the Poll fields..

totster  :o

For those who own a Palm PDA consider this

un-clie.gif,

It is the Paiboon Poomsan dictionary in digital form. I have been using this literally everyday since Aug2003. Can't go without it. For more info, see Thai-English English-Thai Dictionary

I have used those tiny dics, they are about 2 inches by 1. They can be carried anywhere easily. Cost about 75 baht. You have to be able to read Thai, but that isn't bad as I couldn't when I first got it, but now I can. You need pretty good eyesight too.