Wild Mushrooms Pose A Threat In Northeast

george

Wild mushrooms pose a threat in Northeast

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry has warned the public not to consume unfamiliar kinds of wild mushrooms, following an increase in the number of people seeking treatment after eating poisonous species.

Dr Wichai Thianthavorn, permanent secretary for the ministry, said the number of such cases had risen annually, particularly in the Northeast where mushrooms were a popular meal for rural people.

Almost 1,000 in every 100,000 people per year who consume poisonous species sought treatment. Farmers, particularly women, were the group at greatest risk, he said. The ministry has asked provincial health offices to inform the public of the danger, he said.

Dr Paichit Varachit, director of the Medical Sciences Department, said between 50-100 poisonous mushroom species grow in Thailand.

--Bangkok Post 2005-07-04

Wild mushrooms pose a threat in Northeast

Almost 1,000 in every 100,000 people per year who consume poisonous species sought treatment.... --Bangkok Post 2005-07-04

What? The other 99% just died? One wonders how the authorities know they ate poisonous mushrooms if they didn't seek treatment.

It's also common to lump consumption of pscho-active fungi into the 'poisonous' group in many parts of the world.

Don't know much about mushrooms here... but there are many different toxins in different species and some are really nasty. Be interesting to know what species they are having problems with... Any mycologists around?

the only type of mushroom one should eat  :o

Seriously though, psylocibe mushrooms are poisonous, others can be very lethal. Don't pick your own mushrooms unless you know what you're doing.

Poisonous? Do you work for the DEA? There's no reported deaths from eating any species of psylocybe that I'm aware of... but some have reported having unpleasant experiences.

I would never eat a mushroom I found without being 100% certain of what it was... But I am concerned about the ones my sweetheart brings home from the local market, sometimes dried which makes identification difficult, and wonder which edible species the poisonous ones are being mistaken for. It's my experience that whatever Thais will eat, some will also sell.

Well, 'poisonous' in the sense that they can do damage. While no-one has actually been reported dead from eating Psilcybin mushrooms, many have killed themselves doing silly things while under the influence.

Others have suffered irreversible brain damage, it would be silly to tell the public that it is 'safe' to eat these mushrooms.

They're not suitable for everyone, and even experienced users should take precautions.

Erowid.org for more info

Well, 'poisonous' in the sense that they can do damage. While no-one has actually been reported dead from eating Psilcybin mushrooms, many have killed themselves doing silly things while under the influence.

Others have suffered irreversible brain damage, it would be silly to tell the public that it is 'safe' to eat these mushrooms.

They're not suitable for everyone, and even experienced users should take precautions.

Erowid.org for more info

Erowid.org for more info

I'm not telling anyone that it is safe to eat any mushroom...

And I'm sure people have injured themselves after eating Psylocybe mushrooms... and perhaps it is some sort of blunt force trauma to their brains that you are referring to when you claim that "others have suffered irreversible brain damage"

the erowid site you listed did mention... "and possibly latent psychological crises. "

I wouldn't quarrel with a claim that hallucinogins can trigger psycotic episodes...

But you seem to be saying that there is some risk of organic brain damage that can be caused by psylocybin mushrooms and I don't think that is true.

I think that spreading misinformation about drug use is a dangerous thing... There are enough real dangers that people should be aware of and if people go around making up stories to scare people then people tend to discount factual information.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. Mark Twain

Finding and eating wild mushrooms is an excellent way to find out what you know for 'sure', since a mistake can be painfully fatal.