Safe Deposit Boxes

DOROTHY

Bangkok Bank tells me that they have a waiting list for a safe deposit box. Can you rent a box with a bank if you do not have an account with them? Is there an independent company that rents safe deposit boxes in Chiang mai?

Go to the head office of SCB on Thaipay Rd. Tell them you want a safe deposit box, they will tell you its full, but if you buy an insurance savings plan with them, they will give you one. Did this with my wife, as we needed life insurance for her anyways, and we actually got 2 boxes out of the deal. You can always cancel the plan and get a percentage of your money back, but still keep the box.

You mean, if you buy an Insurance saving plan, someone at the bank will give you one? That seems like a good deal, especially as some of the young lady clerks can be very pretty, I have always fancied one of them.

I have a deposit box with one of the big banks in Thailand. But I did need an account with that bank. Providing I have an account with that bank, I am allowed to rent a strong box at any branch. 600 baht a year I think we pay. There were no strings attached or any requirement to buy an insurance policy.