Pattaya Hospitals

Suradit

For a number of years I've used Bangkok Hospital Pattaya or Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok, including monthly visits for a chronic problem. Although BHP seems to generate a lot of criticism here, I've found them to be pretty good in terms of outpatient care. In most cases it really depends on the doctor you deal with and three of the four I've seen, including the one I see regularly, have been quite good. The fourth was a total waste of space, but he's easily avoided in future.

Aside from messages posted about Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, I recall one person recommending the Government Naval Hospital near Sattahip but I don't recall anyone ever speaking favorably or unfavorably about the other two hospitals that (I assume) do cater to both Thais and non-Thais, Pattaya International Hospital and Pattaya Memorial Hospital. I suppose BPH is newer and shinier and probably has more expensive/impressive technology, but BHP's location for those of us not living in North Pattaya or across Sukhumvit makes it something of a trek.

Anyone use either of the other two hospitals at least for minor problems? Anyone have positive or negative experiences they'd like to share? ...asking people on TV if they have negative experiences they'd like to share is probably like waving a red flag, but I suppose even rants can be informative.

Thanks

I have used Pattaya International Hospital as an inpatient and would not recommend them at all. The English skills of the staff is below par and they really hassle you about your insurance. Making you pay in advance if there is any question about coverage. Found the doctors to be negligent in following up patients that they have admitted, leaving it up to the on duty doctor, who may or may not be conversant in English

Have only used Pattaya Memorial Hospital for outpatient visits and have found them to be pretty good. Pricing is much less than BHP and the staff is pretty knowledgeable and proficient in English. Appears to be the hospital of choice (outpatient) for Pattaya's Russian speaking visitors

The Queen Sikrit(sic) hospital at the Navy Base in Sattahip is excellent but you must take a native Thai speaker with you to translate since their English skills are almost nonexistent

I am currently being treated at Sirikit for bladder cancer, been in 3 times for tests and ultra sound, visited the Urologist 2 times (good English)and always was able to find someone behind all of the counters who spoke English. Scheduled for operation on 9th of August and was advised not to get a private room unless I had a English speaking Thai staying in room with me, so I opted for a ward of 6 people. May do a story on it and costs later.

Two years ago I witnessed a shocking display of money grabbing at the International Hospital. I would not recommend them . Have you considered the Phyathai Hospital at Sriracha? Have people who speak English and good service.

I have used Pattaya International Hospital as an inpatient and would not recommend them at all. The English skills of the staff is below par and they really hassle you about your insurance. Making you pay in advance if there is any question about coverage.

I have to second this post. They do not accept BUPA insurance (Thai based) requiring the patient to seek reimbursement for charges. I found the English ability at the FRONT DESK to be almost non-existent. My wife felt they were rude. They also told her the wait was HOURS. She wanted to see what the hospital was like. And after five minutes, SHE said we were leaving and going to BKK Pattaya. I agreed.

I have been using Bkk Pattaya for more than 7 years and I have always been happy. That doesn't mean that there have not been small issues with staff or billing ... but overall, I would not go anywhere else. I'm in the USA every few months, and I don't even want to visit a US doctor anymore. I would much rather schedule everything here.

BUPA as well as other insurance plans are accepted without hassle.

I am currently being treated at Sirikit for bladder cancer, ... May do a story on it and costs later.

Best of luck to you and do please write up your experience.

I have been using Bkk Pattaya for more than 7 years and I have always been happy. That doesn't mean that there have not been small issues with staff or billing ... but overall, I would not go anywhere else. I'm in the USA every few months, and I don't even want to visit a US doctor anymore. I would much rather schedule everything here.

Yes, I agree with you. The on-going treatment I've been receiving at BHP for a chronic problem has been great.

Treatment I received for a broken bone in my arm last year was excellent.

The cardiologist I occasionally see seems quite competent.

I only had one experience with one doctor who I think was Japanese ... definitely not Thai ... that was unsatisfactory.

I have no complaints about the billing.

I guess the extra travelling distance is worth it.

I also agree with your comment about the US. When I first was diagnosed with a relatively serious, long-term problem, friends in the US immediately assumed I would want to rush "home" to be treated. I told them my home is here in Thailand and I had zero interest in subjecting myself to the US medical system.