Monk Asking For Money

Was sitting in the 'chicken rice' at the entrance to Tescos Lamai today. Just ordered some takeaway when a Monk appeared before me shaking a little aluminum tin which had a 100thb note in it - he said 'money money'. Naively I dropped in a 20thb note, and then watched as he went from table to table, everyone all Thai telling him no. The last table he approached he got a complete bollocking and left in quite a hurry. I asked the guy what the story was to which he replied, 'he is not a real Monk, he is from Taiwan, a real Monk would never ask for money'. As I left I snapped a quick pic of him from my phone. Anyone else had any experience with this person?

post-64713-011529200 1279895113_thumb.jp

Edited by bridge

monks don't ask for money that way.

I probably got taken in Hong Kong a couple years ago. A monk came up to me on the street with a book with names, signatures and amount. donated He showed where people had given him 500HKD and I told him no way. Think he still ended up getting 100 HKD from me. I did get this cool, shiny monk card in return which I carried with me. I used it to ward off the other monks as the approached me. Just flash that at them and they left me alone. Since I saw several walking around in the open, I started to wonder if I had been scammed or the guy really was a monk. This all happened on Feb 26th, 2008. Is that a signigficant date some how?

Can't trust anyone, these days. I don't know. What is the country coming to!!!!!!!

Should give him a Bht 500 voucher to your bar SE,love to see him use it :D

should have bought him a 20 baht bowl of rice. think they are alloud to take food at about 6 am. they normally walk around getting donations of food and other things. as for money, u normally have to give in a white envalope then take to the temple.

i not 100 per cent sure. the truth is that i am not buddist so i would be happier with the 20 baht in my pocket. fake or not fake.

should have bought him a 20 baht bowl of rice. think they are alloud to take food at about 6 am. they normally walk around getting donations of food and other things. as for money, u normally have to give in a white envalope then take to the temple.

i not 100 per cent sure. the truth is that i am not buddist so i would be happier with the 20 baht in my pocket. fake or not fake.

Its just like the Catholic faith except they prefer a can of Guinness at 6am. ;)

Can't trust anyone, these days. I don't know. What is the country coming to!!!!!!!

:ermm: Indeed and I saw one in his robes waterskiing at 7am. Guess he thought it was too early for anyone to see !