Dual Citizenship (thai/german)`?

dear ladies and gentlemen,

as i posted a few weeks ago, i´m trying to get the thai citizenship because i had ancestors in bangkok around 1865.

i spoke to the thai embassy today, and they told me, that they would give me a thai passport, but i have to decide wether i´d like to keep the german citizenship or the thai one.

do you know if dual-citizenship is possible in thailand ??

thanks

hfh

dual citizenship no problem. have it in my family, lots of friends with it. I rather doubt your ancestor story ... back in 1865 I'm related with americans, many eurpean countries & whatever. none of those countries is willing though to grant me a second citizenship ...

Check out this link here , it is a good summary of when you are and are not allowed to hold dual German citizenship.

In your case, it appears you are safe. Technically speaking, as you acquired Thai citizenship by birth, it appears you are eligible to keep your German nationality.

As for gaining Thai nationality, I have already mentioned on this board a couple of times that the actual Thai legislation is very different to what we find in the west. It simply states ‘A child who is born to a Thai citizen, whether inside or outside the kingdom, is automatically a Thai citizen also’. Based on this, as long as the OP had the original documentation to prove his lineage, then it shouldn’t be a problem.

Strange but True, TIT.

well, i understand your doubts, but we are VERY sure --> The oriental hotel bangkok was founded in 1865 (or so), and

1.) an ancestor of mine, with the same name of teh founder was living in siam in those days.

2.) we still have documents proving birth in siam/thailand of ancestors of mine.

another thing is military service in thailand - i´m not to happy to go to the armed forces, but i read, that it is possible to pay 18000 baht to be released. where do i have to pay ?

and last but not least: which documents (and translations) are needed at the embassy to apply for the passport ?

hfh

As for gaining Thai nationality, I have already mentioned on this board a couple of times that the actual Thai legislation is very different to what we find in the west. It simply states ‘A child who is born to a Thai citizen, whether inside or outside the kingdom, is automatically a Thai citizen also’.

As per the Thai law.... isn't there a time/age limit though where you must exercise your right to citizenship before a certain age?

:o

No there is not. The law says that between the ages of 20 and 21 a Thai national with another citizenship is able to renounce their Thai nationality. While the actual legislation appears strongly worded, it doesn’t make renunciation compulsory and there is no penalty if that person chooses not to renounce. Thailand can’t strip a person of their Thai nationality, nor does it have jurisdiction to take away a persons foreign nationality.

If the person does choose to renounce their citizenship, they must file a petition to renounce, which is then forwarded to the Minister responsible for consideration. If approved (it is not automatic), the changes will come into effect following publication in the Royal Gazette. Until this has happened, a person remains a Thai national.