Motorcycle Enthusiasts In Chiang Rai

Garry

Please try and be honest and no bogus inputs. This poll is not public  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since you brought up the notion of fuel economy, I should point out the Ninja's 650 engine is a thirsty little devil. It runs me about 200 baht to drive into down and back for a coffee with friends. Now it could be the way I drive, but she is a naughty little beast, who just begs to be ridden hard. :)

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never ridden a Ninja250 but it looks great and has great reviews, I've seen a couple on classifieds too for a very reasonable price. The D-Tracker and KLX are very similar bikes but the D-Tracker is a supermoto and KLX is dual-sport. They have the same FI engine but the D-Tracker is more street-orientated and as such has smaller wheels with street tyres, a 1inch lower seat and slightly different gearing.

All the best with whichever one you go for, Kawasaki have made owning a decent bike here much easier (and cheaper) since they started production 2yrs ago.

I have a KLX as i mentioned before and go out on a regular ride with a mate who has a D-Tracker, we both have the same mods, ECU, air filter, snorkel and pipes, straight line speeds are about the same topping out at 145 kmh, but he gets me in the bends with his Pirellis but then again there is not much in it. Bang for buck the KLX wins for me, with the right mods it has enough power and it will go almost anywhere, even with the stock tyres and still have fun on the twisty bits although my knee down days are long past but the bike does put a smile on your face. :D for not a lot of money.

Have you noticed if there's a noticeable difference in fuel consumption between the two? I'd expect the KLX to be slightly worse as it has different gearing and knobblies but I read a comparison recently where the KLX averaged 25 km's per litre while the D-Tracker got 37 km's per litre on the same trip, if correct that's a huge difference considering they are essentially the same bike.

They are pretty much the same, but mine does use more juice (maybe the way i ride) and i expect to put 20 baht more fuel in each time than my pal, but we both hit the yellow light at around 150 - 160 k which is a bit of a drag, i am looking for a bigger tank without having to tear everything apart but no joy yet :(

Since you brought up the notion of fuel economy, I should point out the Ninja's 650 engine is a thirsty little devil. It runs me about 200 baht to drive into down and back for a coffee with friends. Now it could be the way I drive, but she is a naughty little beast, who just begs to be ridden hard. :)

That's not bad all things considered VF. I have yet to test the 999's legs but I'm sure I'll be pushing it trying to get 200 kms out of it. On the odd occcasion when I fill up, they must think that I have a hole in the fuel tank, as it goes past 400 baht on the meter. I'm still imprssed with the Ninja 650's Good looking bike and good prices in the aftermarket. Personally I think they could do with a more adjustable rear shock, as was brought to my attention on our ride. But that was a definitely a nice day for a ride. Thanks again for showing me some nice roads I was never aware of AND I missing being back home to have more fun :(

Never ridden a Ninja250 but it looks great and has great reviews, I've seen a couple on classifieds too for a very reasonable price. The D-Tracker and KLX are very similar bikes but the D-Tracker is a supermoto and KLX is dual-sport. They have the same FI engine but the D-Tracker is more street-orientated and as such has smaller wheels with street tyres, a 1inch lower seat and slightly different gearing.

All the best with whichever one you go for, Kawasaki have made owning a decent bike here much easier (and cheaper) since they started production 2yrs ago.

I have a KLX as i mentioned before and go out on a regular ride with a mate who has a D-Tracker, we both have the same mods, ECU, air filter, snorkel and pipes, straight line speeds are about the same topping out at 145 kmh, but he gets me in the bends with his Pirellis but then again there is not much in it. Bang for buck the KLX wins for me, with the right mods it has enough power and it will go almost anywhere, even with the stock tyres and still have fun on the twisty bits although my knee down days are long past but the bike does put a smile on your face. :D for not a lot of money.

Have you noticed if there's a noticeable difference in fuel consumption between the two? I'd expect the KLX to be slightly worse as it has different gearing and knobblies but I read a comparison recently where the KLX averaged 25 km's per litre while the D-Tracker got 37 km's per litre on the same trip, if correct that's a huge difference considering they are essentially the same bike.

They are pretty much the same, but mine does use more juice (maybe the way i ride) and i expect to put 20 baht more fuel in each time than my pal, but we both hit the yellow light at around 150 - 160 k which is a bit of a drag, i am looking for a bigger tank without having to tear everything apart but no joy yet :(

Thanks, thought it would be slightly thirstier but that's not too bad. I'm pretty sure Acerbis make a larger fuel tank, maybe 12ltrs, I'll have a look to see if I bookmarked it and pm you if I have the link.

• 1 month later...

Had a hard time choosing between good things, good day and this thread. Anyway I took advantage of this early winter weather yesterday and took the Ninja into Chiang Mai for the 6000 Km checkup. Could have done without the fog, but great riding weather in the teens. Down right chilly on the way over, even with the liner in my jacket. Still nice on the way back, even in the afternoon sun. :D

Bumped into another regular from the Rai, taking delivery on his new white 250. Had a nice chat with a guy on a Vulcan. All considered, a beautiful day.

Five hundred kilometers is a bit more than I can do comfortably in one day, however. Think I'll give the bike, and me, a rest today. ;)

. . . A lot of Motorcycles on the road yesterday!

Namely at the occasion of the Chiangrai United Motorcade, that honoured the fact that

Chiang Rai for the first time in history brought a northern Thailand football team into

the Thai Premier League. Among the big bikes where therefore representatives from several

towns of the North.

But also the rolling museum of the fifty and seventy cc Honda and Yamaha was present.

Most of these light motorcycles are more than forty years old, but taken very well care

of by their often quite young owners.

And the Chiang Rai scooter club 'Fat Bee' with mostly Vespa's and some Lambretta's closed

ranks with the small 'funny bikes' in their wake.

It's nice to see that whatever motorbike they have, their owners seem to beam out a

similar pride and engagement. The television camera's made them a little bit nervous,

as they gave them with their attention also an importance that has to be learned to handle,

but they made a great contribution to the show. Thanks lads!

Few Chiang Rai foreigners have big bikes, but I am sure that at least two non-active members

of this forum (let's say a Canadian and a German 555!) will recognize the gentleman posing

with our Orange Power Girls, as they are riding once in a while with the Black Rabbits as well.

Limbo :yohan:

post-6305-0-93751300-1289100615_thumb.jppost-6305-0-45859100-1289100585_thumb.jp

post-6305-0-64580400-1289100555_thumb.jppost-6305-0-24366400-1289100632_thumb.jp

Namely at the occasion of the Chiangrai United Motorcade, that honoured the fact that

Chiang Rai for the first time in history brought a northern Thailand football team into

the Thai Premier League. Among the big bikes where therefore representatives from several

towns of the North.

But also the rolling museum of the fifty and seventy cc Honda and Yamaha was present.

Most of these light motorcycles are more than forty years old, but taken very well care

And the Chiang Rai scooter club 'Fat Bee' with mostly Vespa's and some Lambretta's closed

It's nice to see that whatever motorbike they have, their owners seem to beam out a

similar pride and engagement. The television camera's made them a little bit nervous,

as they gave them with their attention also an importance that has to be learned to handle,

Few Chiang Rai foreigners have big bikes, but I am sure that at least two non-active members

of this forum (let's say a Canadian and a German 555!) will recognize the gentleman posing

with our Orange Power Girls, as they are riding once in a while with the Black Rabbits as well.

post-6305-0-93751300-1289100615_thumb.jppost-6305-0-45859100-1289100585_thumb.jp

post-6305-0-64580400-1289100555_thumb.jppost-6305-0-24366400-1289100632_thumb.jp

I was just admiring similar pics that someone posted on facebook, looks like everyone had a great day and enjoyed celebrating CR Utd's success. Hopefully they'll be another reason to party next year when they win the Premier league!

towns of the North.

Is that a black Lambo parked behind the girls in orange. Nice one :D

Hi all,

I meant to add that I will be back in the 'Rai in just over a week's time. I'll be home for three weeks and out and about with rumbling red on occasion. I have some new modified parts waiting to be fitted when I get back. This bike is my canvas and I'm not finished yet.

Hope to see my fellow riders at one stage or another while I'm back.

Cheers,

Garry B) :jap:

Edited by Garry

Most Sundays I see quite a few (12 - 20) surrogate choppers and sports bikes come down from Chiang Kong direction along the 1093 heading towards Chiang Khaem. Sometimes they come back the same way. They usually take me by surprise and have gone by before I get to see them properly.

Anyone on this forum involved? What can you tell us?

'Tis the season for biker clubs from all over Thailand to ride the North.

Tis Indeed. a convoy of about 30 big bikes passed me just south of chiang Khong yesterday, I saw a lot of POP stickers. Didn't know they had so many bikes. I guess they were on a loop out of chiang Mai.

'Tis the season for biker clubs from all over Thailand to ride the North.

Tis Indeed. a convoy of about 30 big bikes passed me just south of chiang Khong yesterday, I saw a lot of POP stickers. Didn't know they had so many bikes. I guess they were on a loop out of chiang Mai.

"Didn't know they had so many bikes".

An expat support group?

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna take a trip to town on the Motorbike this morning.

As usual a 'piece' of music sprung to mind :) ......

Then I found this.

Maybe Sven can translate it, I think its about Moonshine rather than Motorways :D

I think they are great.

If you take a look at the 3 guys on the Snowmobile, with a little bit of poetic licence you could see them as Will Ferrel, Robin WIlliams & ???

Have a good ride. Cant go out to play again today.

Sulking big time, but it has taken 3 years to get some work done and they are back today to finish it off.

Not taking any chances. Yesterday they agreed to half a day so we could go out then they worked all day as the one of the

truck drivers and the backhoe drivers jacked up..

I think they are great.

If you take a look at the 3 guys on the Snowmobile, with a little bit of poetic licence you could see them as Will Ferrel, Robin WIlliams & ???

I was thinking the same thing. :D

Just got back from taking the Kids to the School Sports day, and took a slight detour on the way back. up Doi phaya Phitak . If anyones not done it (favouring the western Mountains instead) . The Views are absolutely spectacular this time of year. Gonna take a trip all the way over tomorrow morning.

May see some of you enthusiasts at the Pot Luck later ;)

Gonna take a trip to town on the Motorbike this morning.

As usual a 'piece' of music sprung to mind :) ......

Then I found this.

Maybe Sven can translate it, I think its about Moonshine rather than Motorways :D

These guys made some good TV years ago in Sweden (I donot know if they still do).

You cannot buy "Bäverhojt" in the swedish Monopoly, it is produced in the middle of the deepest forrest up in the north. The taste is similar to Lao Khao but much better!!

The song is about having 2,4,6,8 of this "Eau de vie" and then you can start dancing.

And then.... who knows what can happen.....

:guitar::giggle::wub:

I took that trip finally , over doi phaya phitak, the wrong way. yesterday evening before sunset. If someone says there's a more excillerating road in Thailand I won't believe them.

Its got to be the perfect Bikeing road, even without Alicia Silverstone riding pillion :)

Man , Its good to be alive :D

I took that trip finally , over doi phaya phitak, the wrong way. yesterday evening before sunset. If someone says there's a more excillerating road in Thailand I won't believe them.

Its got to be the perfect Bikeing road, even without Alicia Silverstone riding pillion :)

Man , Its good to be alive :D

The ride sounds great i'd love to do it with you sometime (any pics),love the vid one of Worns fav bands her fav being (I don't wanna miss a thing).:rolleyes:

Edited by woralak

It would be a nice little circular route from your place marra. But you'll be knackered.

feels like a continuous roller-coaster ride, without the loop.

It could be my commute home. It shaved 10kms off my distance, and was a quicker route than the usual Highway, but it was tireing. Its hairpin Heaven. I'd love to see someone who can actualy ride a bike do it ;)

No Pic's wasn't sure I'd make it before sundown so wasn't hanging around.

Think I've seen pics on VF's Blog a while ago, but could have imagined it

Edited by jubby

It would be a nice little circular route from your place marra. But you'll be knackered.

It could be my commute home. It shaved 10kms off my distance, and was a quicker route than the usual Highway, but it was tireing. Its hairpin Heaven. I'd love to see someone who can actualy ride a bike do it ;)

VF has a blog? Was VF the guy dressed like a Ninja at the Pot Luck thingymajig then? Never seen a Ninja ride a Ninja before!

VF has a blog? Was VF the guy dressed like a Ninja at the Pot Luck thingymajig then? Never seen a Ninja ride a Ninja before!

Thats right. The Ninja Turtle. But ofcourse , I didn't see him :D

Greetings Chiang Rai riders.

I am based in CM but get up your way a reasonable amount as I love the top of the north, Phu Chi Fah and Nan areas. Here's a link to a vid I shot a few weeks ago going from the top down the east side of PP - skip forward to about 1m30. It's a bit slow as it was the first time and none of us knew what to expect.

A pic too looking back to where the vid was taken:

Phaya.jpg

Surely a great road but a bit too steep and tight to get a good rhythm IMO.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Now thats what I'm talking about Pikey. I did it the wrong way though, a lot slower and steeper.

your probably right about it being too steep and tight for a good rythym, but slower and taking in the views, and the total lack of other road users did it for me. I think it tickled Alicias Fancy too :D

Greetings Chiang Rai riders.

I am based in CM but get up your way a reasonable amount as I love the top of the north, Phu Chi Fah and Nan areas. Here's a link to a vid I shot a few weeks ago going from the top down the east side of PP - skip forward to about 1m30. It's a bit slow as it was the first time and none of us knew what to expect.

Surely a great road but a bit too steep and tight to get a good rhythm IMO.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Yes, that is the road. We were up there just yesterday but did not go down the back side. Locally we call it Doi Yao and it is just 20km to the top from where I live.

Looks like there is some rubble on the road that wasn't there when we first went down. Thanks for the link. :)

What are these rumors of VF having a Blog? Surely VF would never be seen at a 'thingumajig'... must have been someone else. ;)