Funny, Memorable, Experiences Of Coming Out When Younger

Jingthing

OK, this thread about those memorable little moments when you were coming out as a young man. Not the BIG EVENTS like coming out to parents, family, and friends, but the more minor moments that still stick in your mind.

OK, here are two of mine. I won't forget them. Share yours if you like, it may be amusing to others.

At about age 19 there was a new gay bestseller on the scene called The Joy of Gay Sex (you may remember it). This book spoke to me and I just had to have a copy. Remember this was before amazon.com! Imagine the courage it took for me to walk into my local suburban shopping mall bookstore and buy a copy of such a book at that age, in those times. Well, I did it, and I will never forget how I felt and the look on the face of the bookstore clerk.

In my early 20's I was riding on a boat trip with my boyfriend. Neither of us were very campy so we didn't necessarily appear gay. So we met up with a nice elderly married couple and they were very friendly and we were very friendly and they were going on about what nice young men we were (indeed, we were). Didn't see any need to do a coming out scene with these strangers, but near the end of the trip I accidentally called my BF HONEY (force of habit) and again, the look on their faces, priceless.

• 1 month later...

I'm confused, which of your fascinating stories was the funny one and which the memorable one?

JT is reminiscing, l do the same at times on the forum, thats what the forums about isn't it. Me, l am so straight you could use me as a spirit level but JT ' is ' what the forum as a whole is about and at times an inspiration. Chill out. :)

No worries. I was fishing for others to share memories about coming out incidents from their past. Yet another dud thread by moi. It's like sales I guess, most times your pitch falls FLAT. But hope springs eternal, sometimes they do hit (Ladyboy Attraction Poll! Yippee!).

Oh what the heck. Here is another funny coming out story of mine, about coming out to OTHER gay people, how's that for a twist?

I went to a very small, very elite private college, and there was an obvious and very snooty gay clique there. They always sat at the same table and I just didn't like them (and they hardly knew I existed). To clarify, they were all stinking rich kids, college kids driving new BMWs and taking ski holidays to Aspen and I was just a middle class guy, so part of this was class differences.

So one night there was a GAY DANCE on campus, the first ever for that college, and it was open to much wider city area, so it was a big event.

So just for fun I asked what no doubt was the most beautiful young man on campus (who wasn't even gay) to the event and he said yes.

The rude clique was running the dance at the front ticket desk.

When they saw me saunter in accompanied by like I said the most beautiful young man on campus, well their jaws dropped. Priceless!

Edited by Jingthing