What Do You Drive?

Shipwreck

What is a 4 x 2 with 4x4 capabilities? :ermm:

I was referring to what you were saying in a previous post about how some vehicles need to engage 4x4 mode to work. Otherwise they are just a 4x2...capable of becoming a 4x4 at the flip of a switch.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I don't think that the fuel economy of a 4x4 is that much worse; it only gets worse when people put these ridiculous bits of gear on them, like big wide high tyres (not that good for mud), roof racks, 'bug deflectors', a big steel bull bar, a set of lights on top (all to the front, none to the rear :rolleyes: ) and so on. Also the entire front drive train doesn't really move unless you put it in 4 wheel mode. The only extra expense is a little extra diff oil for the front differential, which is a tiny bit once in a blue moon.

Indeed I don't use 4WD a lot, but WHEN the situation calls for it it's very nice to have it available. Like a pack of condoms really.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

BTW, I don't think that the fuel economy of a 4x4 is that much worse; it only gets worse when people put these ridiculous bits of gear on them, like big wide high tyres (not that good for mud), roof racks, 'bug deflectors', a big steel bull bar, a set of lights on top (all to the front, none to the rear :rolleyes: ) and so on. Also the entire front drive train doesn't really move unless you put it in 4 wheel mode. The only extra expense is a little extra diff oil for the front differential, which is a tiny bit once in a blue moon.

Indeed I don't use 4WD a lot, but WHEN the situation calls for it it's very nice to have it available. Like a pack of condoms really.

60+ posts on this subject:-) I guess it's easier talking about choice of car in CM as opposed to choice of life in CM... Just an observation. 4x2, 4x4, etc. who in reality cares? You make do with what you have and life isn't that hard if your choice comes down to what car you need - tell me about harder choices and that should warrant 60+ answers... Just kidding and let's keep our perspective in life.

I 'm an obsessed motor biker but with the rainy season...............

I've been intrigued by the new Nissan March (Micra) which claims to be in the same quality class like the VW Polo.

The size and price 400-500.000 would be absolutely fine.

Does have anyone experience with the Micra?

LRB, you are probably right about the 1 ton thing.

I went to Toyota Thailand's web page and nowhere did I find specs on carrying capacity.

Probably should have used the term "full size pickup".

Back home in Australia we have the Toyota Hilux & they are imported from Thailand now. Like alot of western countries there are fairly strict laws in relation to vehicle loading etc. I previously owned a few Hilux's and depending on the variant chosen they are certified to carry loads around the 1 tonne limit (945kg for a dual cab) and slightly higher for extra cab or full ute. On face appearance they are the same Hilux vehicles as driven here, although I accept the ADR's (Australian design rules) in Australia may actually result in the vehicles being imported into Australia being fitted with slightly different standard equipment than what is fitted here. Im not sure and havent personally checked this out. I also vaguely recall a weight limit being offered in the owners manual of the vehicle, although i dont have a copy of that available.

My point of all this information is to tell you that this particular vehicle can quite easily handle 1 tonne of whatever, of course one needs to consider the load, its effect on the handling of the vehicle and they way in which it is secured.

Ive also seen no shortage of Hilux loads in LOS that scare the living <deleted> out of me :lol: . I know alot guys that think of these little pint sized vehicle as not being full sized pickup such as a F250 or whatever & of course theres not as much room in the back of them as a beasty vehicle like that but thats about it.

Back home in Australia we have the Toyota Hilux & they are imported from Thailand now. Like alot of western countries there are fairly strict laws in relation to vehicle loading etc. I previously owned a few Hilux's and depending on the variant chosen they are certified to carry loads around the 1 tonne limit (945kg for a dual cab) and slightly higher for extra cab or full ute. On face appearance they are the same Hilux vehicles as driven here, although I accept the ADR's (Australian design rules) in Australia may actually result in the vehicles being imported into Australia being fitted with slightly different standard equipment than what is fitted here. Im not sure and havent personally checked this out. I also vaguely recall a weight limit being offered in the owners manual of the vehicle, although i dont have a copy of that available.

The Australian design rules require side intrusion bars. They are tubes about 40mm in diameter running through the doors to reduce side impact. These may not be in the Thai version, they where not in the Japanese grey import cars and had to be fitted to get them on the road in oz.

The Australian design rules require side intrusion bars. They are tubes about 40mm in diameter running through the doors to reduce side impact. These may not be in the Thai version, they where not in the Japanese grey import cars and had to be fitted to get them on the road in oz.

Yes I understand what you are saying about side intrusion bars, my bet is that they are definately built into the vehicle @ time of production if they are intended for export to Australia. I was led to believe that vehicles off the vehicle production line would vary based on where they are heading as opposed to all vehicles being built the same and then modified upon arrival into their respective countries. There are many parts of old 'Jap import' vehicles that require adjustment and include things from exhausts, emission equipment, seat belts, glass, tyres and so on.

My understand is right from the early stage of a vehicles production on the line, its destination is known so its exact specification etc is applied.

I 'm an obsessed motor biker but with the rainy season...............

I've been intrigued by the new Nissan March (Micra) which claims to be in the same quality class like the VW Polo.

The size and price 400-500.000 would be absolutely fine.

Does have anyone experience with the Micra?

Well, I looked at it, sat in it (it's remarkably spacious) and reviewed prices and options. I haven't actually driven it, but may do so soon. I have established that under no circumstance should you go for the rock-bottom priced model, it has very strange, foamy seats. All models above it have normal seats. Then you get basically two choices: Auto (CVT) box or manual, and you get to choose between an option package that includes sensible safety related stuff, or a package that mostly includes gadgetry. (And then the top model has both, but then you're at the price of the base Honda Jazz)

Very interesting little car for around town IMHO, though will reserve final judgement until I've driven it; from experience in Europe a 1.2 liter engine should cope just fine for such a small car, but by Thai standards it really is a tiny engine.

• Like 1

Unless you're planning on taking the back route up Doi Suthep via Huay Tung Tao lake, a 2wd will be fine.

Even in a 2-wheel drive, i had no problem from Huay Tung Tao to Doi Suthep :)

I'm pretty certain you misunderstood. The 'back route' up the mountain from the lake is merely a track, 1:1 in parts, and even tough to do on a 250 scrambler in the dry.