E-Readers In Town Yet?

Drew Aitch

I would like an iPad to watch videos, listen to music, surf the Internet and read while traveling, but I am pretty sure that I would mostly use it when traveling on planes, trains and buses and can not see spending the money for something I do so infrequently.

The other problem with an iPad is that they are going to be so much better in a couple of years as the first edition is not nearly as powerful or useful as a PC. I'm going to try to wait until they improve.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like an iPad to watch videos, listen to music, surf the Internet and read while traveling, but I am pretty sure that I would mostly use it when traveling on planes, trains and buses and can not see spending the money for something I do so infrequently.

The other problem with an iPad is that they are going to be so much better in a couple of years as the first edition is not nearly as powerful or useful as a PC. I'm going to try to wait until they improve.

The ipad is not an e-book reader.

From your previous posts I don't think you have ever seen an e-ink display ..... nothing like trashing something you have never seen!

You must not have read all my posts, because I have used one with e-ink and did not think it was all that great - too much glare for starters.

I am much more interested in an iPad because it can be used for a variety of things.

Edited by Ulysses G.

People, just wait a few more days! Barnes & Noble is ready to launch a new, mysterious "Nook Color". Could be the first reader with a full color e-ink screen; or just with a color LCD?

We'll see.

In the meantime in Thailand there is a website selling both Nook or Kindle3 for 7,500 Baht and the 3g for 9.500. Good price for me!

You must not have read all my posts, because I have used one with e-ink and did not think it was all that great - too much glare for starters.

I am much more interested in an iPad because it can be used for a variety of things.

I am not sure what you used previously but it is not possible for an e-ink reader like the Nook, Kindle, Sony etc to have glare emanating from the screen. E-ink is not back-lit but relies like the printed page on reflected ambient light. Maybe you had a powerful light source shining over your shoulder.

An I-pad uses the same back lit LCD technology that all computer screens use. they have a refresh rate that actually causes eye strain - a medical fact - and drain vastly more power from the batteries than does a true e-reader. These screens are also almost illegible in sunlight, just see you mobile phone screen, whereas e-ink is perfectly clear, just like a printed page.

Like the rest of like, you are free to make your choice. But comparing apples with apples & Apples should be done from a fully informed base. It is possible to load Kindle apps onto phones & computers BUT these screens are still back lit, with all their glare & illegibility problems.

e-ink is one technology & phone/computer screens are different.

annoyed.gif

I am not talking about iPads as I have not seen one yet.

I am talking about an e-reader with e-ink. I was trying to read in a room with normal overhead lighting and the same thing happened outside as well - too much glare to read easily. There was even more glare when I tried an newer e-reader with a touch screen.

When I mentioned this in an earlier post a member who I knew when he lived in Chiang Mai PMed me and said that this is pretty common with newer models as they get more complex.

Too much glare to read easily. There was even more glare when I tried an newer e-reader with a touch screen.

I don't think e-reader glare is possible any more than it would be on printed paper Ulysses G. According to the technology, here's what Kindle say:

# All-New, High-Contrast E Ink Screen

# Read in Bright Sunlight – NO GLARE

Paper books will never die out, and there will always be those hard to get titles that are just impossible to find online. But they will be sharing the market with electronic reading before too long, of that I'm sure! Especially among travellers whose biggest weight up until now has been a stack of books stuffed into backpacks. Imaging having 3,500 plus books taking the place of hard copies, and all stored neatly into an ultra thin device that's about the same reading area of a paperback, yet is only 1/3 of an inch thick, and weighs less than 9 ounces. It really is impressive.

Book shops might soon be selling e-readers, once they become really popular, as an integrated part of their retail options for avid book worms. Like most businesses, the book stores shall have to diversify as technology muscles into their market!

Aitch

• 1 month later...

Look at the brand name on the picture of the reader with all the glare on the left side. Maybe it depends on the model, but this is a photo of a newer one. :)

The latest versions seem to have overcome this issue.

"What this adds up to is the best eBook reader display we've seen. Its 16 shades of grey make it adept at displaying images where necessary and sunlight poses no problems whatsoever. In fact the Kindle is easier to read in bright sunlight than a book since white pages can be prone to glare." Kindle 3 on Trusted Reviews

Even if e-readers get cheaper in the future, storing a bunch of popular books inside makes losing one an expensive proposition.

I have to disagree about the current models being anywhere as comfortable and user friendly as a traditional book - at least at this point in time. Most of the ones that I have seen, were not nearly as clear to read, had a lot of glare from lights overhead and were too small to comfortably read more than a paragraph or two at a time without switching to a new page.

The ones that did have a decent size screen (the I-pad) were not a comfortable size to cart around, difficult to conceal and did not use e-ink - so were exactly the same as reading from a computer screen. The touch-screen models are particularly difficult to read for long periods of time.

Just to point out the i-pad is not an e-book reader, it is a device that can display e-books (as can a PC, laptop, mobile phone).

Modern E-book readers use e-ink displays (not LCDs) and are usually the same size as a 'real' book

E-ink displays are very nice to read for as long as you like, unlike LCDs. I'm guessing you haven't seen an e-ink display!

Also you do not store the book inside the e-book, the books you buy the right to read are recorded in your account at Amazon, B&N, etc. from where you can redownload to any device whenever you like. So if my Kindle, Nook is stolen or lost, I can just buy a new device and still have all my books.

True, but I have just purchased an iPad for my wife's birthday - she wanted an eReader, but all of the ones we looked at paled into insignificance against the iPad. I know that there is a big price difference, but the screen quality is just mind blowing - may even buy one myself. She loves it

I love a book. But then, most are not available here. For someone who loves to read, Chiang Mai does not provide anything like a full answer - rather a fair start.. Were it not for Kindle, my quality of life here in Chiang Mai would plummet.

Naboo and Sarahsbloke have the right of it. I go on motorcycle trips with my Kindle. I might have stored dozens of books; as it is, I am re-visiting my undergraduate days and filling in gaps. I have all of Austen's works, Shakespeare's plays and poems, and contemporary titles as well, some light amusement.

Those who complain of glare cannot have used the devices. I've read dozens of titles with it and the idea of glare did not enter my thinking. Unlike a computer, the e-book requires external light, like a book. Slightly tilting a Kindle, as one would a book with the sun over one's shoulder, is all there is to avoiding glare. Type size can be changed to suit the reader. Turning the page (press a button) becomes automatic.

Rather than getting the 3-g model, I just download from my account to my computer and transfer - easy. And between the occasional Amazon special and the Gutenberg project, I can usually find fascinating bargains.

The only thing that bothers me (aside from my general resistance to change) is the cost for these electronic books. Ten to twelve dollars for "rights" that use no material, kill no trees, seems steep; on the other hand, list price for a hard-cover book might be $27, available for $19 (U.S. terms). Oh yes, there is another disadvantage. When guests look around, they don't see rows of books on my shelves. But then, guests these days....B)

Edited by CMX

I love a book. But then, most are not available here. For someone who loves to read, Chiang Mai does not provide anything like a full answer - rather a fair start.. Were it not for Kindle, my quality of life here in Chiang Mai would plummet.

Naboo and Sarahsbloke have the right of it. I go on motorcycle trips with my Kindle. I might have stored dozens of books; as it is, I am re-visiting my undergraduate days and filling in gaps. I have all of Austen's works, Shakespeare's plays and poems, and contemporary titles as well, some light amusement.

Those who complain of glare cannot have used the devices. I've read dozens of titles with it and the idea of glare did not enter my thinking. Unlike a computer, the e-book requires external light, like a book. Slightly tilting a Kindle, as one would a book with the sun over one's shoulder, is all there is to avoiding glare. Type size can be changed to suit the reader. Turning the page (press a button) becomes automatic.

Rather than getting the 3-g model, I just download from my account to my computer and transfer - easy. And between the occasional Amazon special and the Gutenberg project, I can usually find fascinating bargains.

The only thing that bothers me (aside from my general resistance to change) is the cost for these electronic books. Ten to twelve dollars for "rights" that use no material, kill no trees, seems steep; on the other hand, list price for a hard-cover book might be $27, available for $19 (U.S. terms). Oh yes, there is another disadvantage. When guests look around, they don't see rows of books on my shelves. But then, guests these days....B)

speaking of impact and cost... check out this infographic

post-34078-0-29482800-1292038599_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Quite a Price Difference:

Just taking a look at the latest updates/products on the Kindle e-reader, and was quite shocked to see the price variations from Amazon UK and Amazon USA.

Kindle Wi-Fi, UK: £111 ($183 or 5,400 THB)

Kindle Wi-Fi, US: $139 (£84 or 4,100 THB)

I had some friends come and visit in January and they were going to bring me one from home, but due to a family crisis it slipped their mind. So I'm still without an e-reader hence the current research.

But anyway, the point is, anyone ordering one of the Kindle e-readers might want to purchase from amazon.com and not amazon.co.uk. If my maths are right, the UK price works out at around 32% costlier than that of the US.

Should anyone in CM have a Kindle Wi-Fi and are thinking of upgrading to a Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, then please let me know if you want to sell your Wi-Fi-only model.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

This Thai online store lists the WiFi version at 7,700 baht and the 3G+WiFi at 9,900 baht. It's not clear from the website how much they charge for shipping.

Why pay more for a Kindle 3 in Thailand when you can buy it directly from amazon.com for 6,000 baht including taxes and delivery, usually delivered within a week and they take care of all the hassle with the duty.

$140 for the WiFi-only Kindle, $20 shipping and $40 taxes.

post-1539-0-89919400-1303623817_thumb.pn

The 3G+WiFi is $190 and $50 taxes, still $20 shipping.

post-1539-0-46313700-1303654170_thumb.pn

Edited by Phil Conners
Updated details for 3G version

Just throwing my two cents in...I bought a Sony eReader on eBay for around $95. It was new in the package, albeit the particular model was a few years old. I've had no problems with it and I love using it. Perhaps poke around eBay and see what you can find?

Hmm! Well you're either both right or one of you is wrong (see below)

The tax is 80 USD and the shipping is 40 USD approximately

and,,,

$20 shipping and $40 taxes.

Unless of course, one is a 3G and the Thai authorities know to charge more tax on that, but then we still the shipping discrepancy ;)

Aitch

I'll go with Phil Conners who also posted a shot of the order screen, <deleted>.

Much as I enjoy my Kindle, I also enjoy reading the objections by people who don't have one.

Kind of like a nun talking about sex. Yes, sister, it is a bit like wrestling, but different, somehow.

Edited by amexpat

I'll go with Phil Conners who also posted a shot of the order screen, <deleted>.

Fair comments, but i have seen other posts elsewhere that also conflict with Phil Conners order snaps. One can't help but wonder then if the import tax is made up on the day whatever the product happens to be???

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

I can confirm I bought a Kindle Wifi myself at this price a few months back.

I have no interest in making a false statement. My only interest in this is that I think the more prolific these readers become the more books will become available for it and the lower the price will be. ;)

• 2 months later...

Many thanks.

It was very illuminating. I was thinking of getting the kindle deluxe last year when I was in the states. Decided to wait as I still have a lot of paper backs. Going there next month and was going to have a look at them. Expected few more gimmicks and a lower price. I will wait until mid September.

As the article so handily pointed out you can change the type size on all of the models. The problem being you have to change pages more often. As it is the 6 inch screen is smaller that a paperback. I measured a paperback and it was 6 and 5/8 inches in size. This is one of the things I look for in purchasing one. I like the larger size as I can get more on the page and not have to change it frequently. The kindle deluxe has a screen of over 9 inches that gives you a viewing area around 2 and 1/2 times than that of the 6 inch.

When I look at this type purchase I look at it as a long term investment. So yes it will cost me more than just get one now and later maybe another.

With what I read about the pads it might be a good idea to wait a year for them. I still have lot of books but there are books that are not that easy to get here in Chiang Mai. Particularly the ones that have a series of books to get the whole story. Nothing like reading a book and at the end it tells you to get book two in the series.

Edited by hellodolly

Hi Forum. I'm responding here with reference to the post.

Kindle Vs Nook Vs iPad - Which e-book reader should you-buy?

The iPad and other tablets are NOT e-readers, so when someone is looking specifically for a device that is for the enjoyment of reading books first and foremost, then the iPad and all the other new fangled tablets should not be included in the comparison.

Tablets are nice because they're gimmicky, but somewhat limited in their use from what I can see. They are perhaps best described as a huge version of an iPod or any Smartphone (minus the phone). In other words, they are backlit devices that give you limited computer functionality but at the same price, or more, of a brand name notebook.

The Basic Functions of a Tablet

A tablet lets you go online, browse the web, watch vids, send and receive email, chat using VOIP, play games, and all that other jazz common to mobile smart technology. Tablets don't let you run programs that people use computers for, so you have no MS Office suite options, you can't build websites with them, nor ftp files to servers, or anything else that computers allow for artistic creation or everyday office use. They are, in other words, nice entertainment toys with some communication functionality.

But they Allow you to Read e-Books right?

Oh yeah, you can read e-books perfectly well on a tablet, and they are far better equipped at displaying PDF documents than e-readers (at the time of writing), but they are backlit which means they will put a strain on the eyes should anyone want to read a novel for a couple of hours or more. However, the diminishing life of a battery could cause issues of frustration for travellers on the move.

E-readers, like the Kindle, put no more strain on the eyes than a paper book would do (they are NOT backlit). What's more, you can have multiple books on the go at any time and your e-reader will know exactly what page you left off at even if you come back to it months or years later. In addition to that, and a huge advantage for those who love to read, a Kindle II, as an example, has a battery life of about 1 month under normal usage, whereas the playful tablets (that now seem like the coffee shop 'must-haves'), will need recharging after just a few hours.

THE CONCLUSION

E-readers: If you want a slim lightweight reading device that will store 3,500+ books, has a long battery life, is easy on the eye, and relatively inexpensive, then you need an e-reader.

Tablets: If you want an iPod, or similar, on steroids, then go for a tablet.

Computers: If you want to have access to all the functions of a modern computer, then get a PC, Notebook, or Netbook.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

I use a Ipad for reading and find that it is ok for about an hour at a time before I have to rest my eyes, and what the previous poster said about them is all true.

I will later this year upgrade to Kindle DX for my reading requirements as I hardly read paper novels or books now unless someone gives them to me.

Probably will keep the ipad for internet use (email) and playing the odd game.

If you search out Amazon, Ebooks can be found for as little as $00.99, I have found some worth reading that are free even. I will not pay 20 to 30 bucks a book any more, even though a lot of books aren't available in E format yet, but there are more and more coming online all the time.

If you are really getting a Kindle, make sure you consider the 3G option again:

whether or not you'd like to purchase book pretty much anywhere without Wi-Fi

whether or not you'd need emergency (crappy) internet connections anywhere to check your mails.

By anywhere it's anywhere where there's cellular reception.

My dad regretted his decision to go a bit stingy and now always steals mine :(

If you are really getting a Kindle, make sure you consider the 3G option again:

whether or not you'd like to purchase book pretty much anywhere without Wi-Fi

whether or not you'd need emergency (crappy) internet connections anywhere to check your mails.

By anywhere it's anywhere where there's cellular reception.

My dad regretted his decision to go a bit stingy and now always steals mine :(

The kindle doesn't rely on regular commercial wifi networks. Amazon has its own service with widespread coverage, at least throughout Thailand. I've been able to buy books on the kindle at many locations around Chiang Mai as well as while sitting on the beach in Pranburi - places where no other wireless network was available. I don't know about email - my Kindle 2 has no browser & I never intended to use it for that.

For receiving material here in Thailand, I've had no difficulty with my Kindle wi-fi. Get books in a trice, same in U.S. In fact, I'm not sure that I understand the love of 3G (which service I have here in Thailand), as I get a book quickly with wi-fi in the U.S. or Thailand.

Problems have arisen, though, because of competition - which is backward. There is no standard e-book for applying to every company's collection, as they are proprietary. Worse, Amazon's being the only outfit made it possible to offer publishers lower purchase offers and pass them along somewhat. Barnes and Noble and others have offered higher prices to publishers, publishers have seized upon the opportunity, and prices for e-books are now higher, rivaling or exceeding sometimes the cost for a paperback edition!

Still, I'm happy with Kindle. But no set of e-books or exceptional set of second-hand bookstores can rival a decent library in my native U.S., given that there are libraries that share almost everything in the state for nothing beyond obligatory community taxes.