E-Readers In Town Yet?

Drew Aitch

For new publications, the battle is leading to increases in prices for e-books. Barnes and Noble now, and others, have entered the market. Amazon is no longer the "big" one going to publishers (a shrinking few who have gobbled up many others) and said, "We will sell your copyrighted material for x, and you will not have to print it or ship it or..." I suppose that the profits were a marvel. But Barnes and Noble and others may (have, in fact) gone to the publishers with x+y offers. This suggests bigger profits, of course, and why not - only B&N will have the right to e-book publication (there are some contested contracts at the moment, however).

In short, the prices are not going down due to competition; just now they are going up for the latest releases, largely because of oligopoly sellers x 2.

My own purchases depend upon urgency of need as I measure it. I was shocked to find a modern title from a little known author at a local bookstore, but delighted. The thing, suggested by a friend, was unavailable electronically. On the other hand, the reverse is frequently true. Certainly using an e-book (mine's a Kindle) is a bargain for "free" and "supersale" texts, and well worth exploring, and portable galore - I take it travels in a second. But today, most books by far are unavailable at any cost. Mass market stuff is leading, i believe.

I still think that I am in a wonderful situation here in CM! And I agree that in the future the e-book market will not prove to be a flash in the pan, so long as they develop Steven King books in Thai and reading is not replaced by information transfers of a different nature (The Singularity is Near).

Edited by CMX

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sell books and I have come to think that e-books will have a certain part of the market, but they will not dominate it for quite some time - if ever.

They are very useful for obsessive and determined readers who are living in places where English books are hard to obtain (mostly Communist countries) and possibly for travelers who are not worried about them being lost/stolen/dropped or the inconvenience of having to constantly think about hiding them when taking a dip in the pool, or whatever.

Some titles are cheap or free, but they mostly tend to be ones that most of us would have to force ourselves to read simply because of the low price. Usually, people are interested in newer, popular titles that are under copyright and as has been pointed out they are not cheap and the price will certainly keep increasing. Even if e-readers get cheaper in the future, storing a bunch of popular books inside makes losing one an expensive proposition.

I have to disagree about the current models being anywhere as comfortable and user friendly as a traditional book - at least at this point in time. Most of the ones that I have seen, were not nearly as clear to read, had a lot of glare from lights overhead and were too small to comfortably read more than a paragraph or two at a time without switching to a new page.

The ones that did have a decent size screen (the I-pad) were not a comfortable size to cart around, difficult to conceal and did not use e-ink - so were exactly the same as reading from a computer screen. The touch-screen models are particularly difficult to read for long periods of time.

Some posters have suggested that all the gizmos on them are an attractive feature, but not for a lot of folks. Having to resize the print - and so forth - to attempt to make them as easy to read as a paper book would not be attractive for most people.

They definitely have their fans, but most of them - IMHO - are excited to have the newest, trendiest toy, but people usually get over the newest toys as soon as they become somewhat common and most people do not think of reading as a toy.

Another negative is that most people only read a few books a year and do not want to have to buy a machine to do it.

IMHO, despite the hype, they will mostly sell for very specific purposes and they will be useful for those purposes, but the paper book will be around for a very long time.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Even if e-readers get cheaper in the future, storing a bunch of popular books inside makes losing one an expensive proposition.

I have to disagree about the current models being anywhere as comfortable and user friendly as a traditional book - at least at this point in time. Most of the ones that I have seen, were not nearly as clear to read, had a lot of glare from lights overhead and were too small to comfortably read more than a paragraph or two at a time without switching to a new page.

The ones that did have a decent size screen (the I-pad) were not a comfortable size to cart around, difficult to conceal and did not use e-ink - so were exactly the same as reading from a computer screen. The touch-screen models are particularly difficult to read for long periods of time.

Just to point out the i-pad is not an e-book reader, it is a device that can display e-books (as can a PC, laptop, mobile phone).

Modern E-book readers use e-ink displays (not LCDs) and are usually the same size as a 'real' book

E-ink displays are very nice to read for as long as you like, unlike LCDs. I'm guessing you haven't seen an e-ink display!

Also you do not store the book inside the e-book, the books you buy the right to read are recorded in your account at Amazon, B&N, etc. from where you can redownload to any device whenever you like. So if my Kindle, Nook is stolen or lost, I can just buy a new device and still have all my books.

Edited by sarahsbloke

The e-books that I have seen with e-ink needed to have the print blown up quite a bit in order to be comfortable to read, so one had to change pages very frequently which I found annoying. The ones with a touch screen had a lot of glare which was also irritating. The best one that I have seen was a very old model Kindle without all the bells and whistles.

I realize that the Ipad is not strictly for reading, but it is my guess that it will sell much better than the others because of the computer functions.

I know that the Ipad is the one that I would buy as I would only use it to read novels and such when paper books were not freely available for some reason. I love to read, so it would be worth putting up with the discomfort for short periods of time in order to be able to watch movies, do e-mail and listen to music as well.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm picking one up on my next trip back HO

Question: Like other posters I've been reading up on kindle. I would like to download a number of free books via Project Gutunberg and other sites. Kindle is supposed to have no problem with these, but I have yet to talk to someone who has actually done it. Has anyone here downloaded from a free site? Problems ? Comments ?

I ordered the new Kindle from Amazon a week or so after it was announced last month. It was on back order until last week. Received it 2 days ago. I bought the leather cover with light and the Euro/thai power cord also. Got the $189 model with 3G and WiFi. It's very very nice. I've needed a cigarette every time after I turn it off. Customs for everything was about $73. Well worth the investment.

I'm picking one up on my next trip back HO

Question: Like other posters I've been reading up on kindle. I would like to download a number of free books via Project Gutunberg and other sites. Kindle is supposed to have no problem with these, but I have yet to talk to someone who has actually done it. Has anyone here downloaded from a free site? Problems ? Comments ?

I've done it - dozens of books downloaded from gutenberg.org, sacred-texts.com, feedbooks.com & buddhanet.net. In many cases you can download a kindle-kind format like mobi. In other cases, like with text files & pdfs, I use a free program called Calibre to convert the files into mobi. (My kindle 2 will read pdfs but won't zoom in on them, which renders some pdf e-books unreadable. Apparently a free software upgrade is available to add this zoom feature but I haven't checked it out yet.) I do all this on my desktop & then just drag & drop the files into my kindle. It's all very easy and more & more good free stuff is available every day.

What is the attraction to e-books?

If you've got a parent with vision problems, an e-book might be the answer.

My 92-year old mom has macular -- and lives to read. I got her a Kindle DX, and she couldn't be happier. At the largest font setting, and because of the unique contrast of the machine, that's about the only thing she can read these days. We discuss on the phone, from here to the States, the latest book offerings by Amazon. Then, zap, I send from here -- and a few minutes later, via 3G wireless, she gets the book (and the bill :))

Most books have an aural option, but it's robotic, and not very attractive. So, she's never opted to go that route.

I remember when I researched the DX for Mom that, yes, there was an international wireless download option -- but something about cost, or availability in Thailand, caught my attention. However, no matter. You can download to your computer -- then, USB upload to you Kindle. Nice to know -- 'cause the will says I get the Kindle :rolleyes:

There are plenty of different e-readers on the market today, with Kindle being just one of them. One that often locks their users into less than tolerable restrictions. I've discovered those same sorts of 'Big Brother' restrictions on my iPhone too. NOT PLEASANT!

I've been using an older model Sony 505 for about a year and a half now, and find it much more convenient than paper books for my situation. It doesn't have any of the bells and whistles of the new touch screen models, can't communicate with the Internet, and doesn't have a built in dictionary. But as I have absolutely no need or desire for than of these options, Sony's clear, sharp screen is perfect, and looks just like a tree book! There is no glare what so ever, with text size M my pages are the same size as most paperbacks, and as I happen to enjoy reading 3-4 different books at the same time, switching at my whim, I can carry plenty of them with me... in one small pocket. In fact, I usually have about 200 of them stored in the e-reader's memory, and several thousand stored at home. The battery lasts me about two weeks of daily reading, charges in 3-4 hours, and I can get all the books by favorite authors from various sites on the Net. I load them into my reader with a USB cable.

I read several hours every day, and haven't bought a paper novel in all this time. I still do buy paper books for art, illustrations, color, tech manuals, etc, but I'm sure that within the next 2-3 years there will be so many advances in e-readers that I may just avoid paper completely.

• 1 month later...

I wanted one of the latest Sony e-readers & wrote an email to the Thai company asking how I could buy one. Their response boiled down to ' we do not sell, we do not plan to sell & we will not provide a repair service if you buy in another country". As a previously loyal Sony owner I was a bit miffed by their attitude as well as their lack of interest in what could be a good market amongst ex-pats, but I was not surprised as I had previously enquired about a certain model of MP3 player that is promoted in Thailand but no stocked anywhere in CM & was basically told to get it in BKK.

So I ordered a Kindle & an illuminated case from Amazon, USD 235 including import duty deposit, & with priority shipping at no extra cost. The case arrived 72 hours later & the Kindle three days after that, a total of 6 days from order to receiving.

The unit is very well made, the display is clear & has many font type & size options. It connects seamlessly to my in-home wi-fi and switches to 3G at no cost if you are out of wireless range.The display can be portrait or landscape format depending on what you wish & reading in the dark is no problem using the LED illuminated case. I am a very happy buyer, even though the lack of local service/repair is a concern.

How you source your books & what you pay is your choice but I am pleased with all my purchases from Amazon. The website wired.com/.../how-to-do-almost-everything with-a-kindle that I downloaded a few weeks ago has many useful hints about downloads etc.

Of course there is nothing to beat a few hours browsing around & buying in Gecko which I still do, but for new release books & my weekly newspaper & magazine subscriptions I find the Kindle is truly good value & so convenient. Good luck.

Boyfriend bought a fake one from China the other week (called an "aPad" I believe) and it was delivered here to CM in the last week or so... so far he loves it!

This clone works well as a reader? Do you have to download software to make it work as a reader? I found similar for 7000 baht in Pattaya, but even seller said it was very slow compared to the real one.

Boyfriend bought a fake one from China the other week (called an "aPad" I believe) and it was delivered here to CM in the last week or so... so far he loves it!

Please tell more........can buy in CM yet?/ is it e reader or Ipad clone?? and name/website??

Thanks....

here's an ereader clone with color ink>>>> http://www.clonedinchina.com/2010/05/teclast-k5-color-e-reader-hits-the-market-price-around-100.html

but, is it eink??

I think I'll just wait until they work out the bugs and get smaller, faster and cheaper and support more formats.

The way technology is moving......less than a year the price will be less than half.

A friend of mine just told me in INDIA they are working on a IPAD device to be sold for FIFTEEN dollars! Hard to believe, but the current price levels for the real things are nutsoid.

Golden rule for cheap technology........"JUST WAIT!!!" and someone will make it cheaper, faster and better.

I just received my Kindle (brought over by my friend) I love it I live in the Jungle so I have to travel at least 3 hours to find an English book then I have to pay a premium price.

I have several free books also I am receiving a fantasy football blog in addition to a few word games that are also free. If you have wireless it is free for the download for 3G there is a small charge

I will never go back to real books again,,,,I have shelves full of them just collecting dust...

The tax is 80 USD and the shipping is 40 USD approximately

• 2 weeks later...

Kindles available online in Thailand

I work it out to be slightly cheaper this way than ordering off amazon (+ taxes + delivery of USD120). However, still expensive.

Was looking in town today, nobody seems to have any. Really want one as well. though probably the Asus one. Anyone know if they're in BKK?

Not quite sure what you mean by cheaper. My converter had the big one in at over $200 more than Amazon. Maybe you are talking about a different reader than Kindle.

I will never go back to real books again,,,,I have shelves full of them just collecting dust...

People will go back to books again in 20 years when everyone over 25 is wearing glasses because of eye strain caused by constant digital screen use

is good to see people always trying to reinvent the wheel so it look more round or roll better

i'm Old School . so if i had a choice i would still prefe rthe smell of old book and the felling of flipping the pages with the finger tips . is the excitement and a good finger workout .

and once i am tired i can just throw the book onto the sofa or bed . or tear a page out if it rotten or burn it if i think is rubbish . and i do not need to charge any battery .

is good to see people always trying to reinvent the wheel
They will have some uses that will really come in handy in the future - like reading in the dark - but right now there are way too many flaws (unless you are in a place with few traditional books) that need to be worked out .

I am hardly impartial, but I love to read and when I tried one for two weeks I was not impressed. IMHO, it really is amazing what people will run out and buy because of hype. :blink:

Edited by Ulysses G.

is good to see people always trying to reinvent the wheel
They will have some uses that will really come in handy in the future - like reading in the dark - but right now there are way too many flaws (unless you are in a place with few traditional books) that need to be worked out .

I am hardly impartial, but I love to read and when I tried one for two weeks I was not impressed. IMHO, it really is amazing what people will run out and buy because of hype. :blink:

Yes UG there are a few flaws, but books have some too. I have just flown two 11 hour intercontinental sectors & some domestic ones in the last 9 days & my Kindle allowed me to read the Financial times daily, Business Week & Fortune updated weekly, an Anthony Bourdain book, a section of a Jeremy Clarkson book, as well as downloading a Don Brown & a John le Carre, & listening to six episodes of BBC comedy radio shows. All accessed over wi-fi & 3G at no extra cost & all available from a unit the size of a small paperback book. It fits in my hand luggage & works worldwide, & thanks to having an LED in the cover I can read anytime in any lighting or in the dark.

Try doing all that using conventional bookstores & newsagents whilst on the move. I also love books & will still visit your stores and others but there is no doubt that these devices bring a whole new utility to reading. Pity they do not help with jet lag.

Kindles available online in Thailand

I work it out to be slightly cheaper this way than ordering off amazon (+ taxes + delivery of USD120). However, still expensive.

Was looking in town today, nobody seems to have any. Really want one as well. though probably the Asus one. Anyone know if they're in BKK?

Not quite sure what you mean by cheaper. My converter had the big one in at over $200 more than Amazon. Maybe you are talking about a different reader than Kindle.

6" 3G +Wifi Kindle on amazon - USD189 + Thai import tax (people say from experience USD80) + shipping to Thailand USD40 makes it USD309.

On the website I listed, 9500B = USD317, so you're right, more expensive from that website, but not USD200!

edit: just seen the 9.7" (too big for me) which works out as USD600, as opposed to USD380 on amazon. Don't know what the import tax would be on that though, shipping still USD40 I'd imagine.

I want one because I want to be able to carry 3/4 books on holiday, be able to read newspapers from the west and listen to my music, all on a device the same size as a standard book. I want to have all the latest books available to me in Thailand at reasonable costs without having to hunt them down. I don't want to be reading them off a screen with glare. I'm yet to see one, but every report has said reading off them is as easy as reading off a book. OK, some people will want the books on their shelf at home, the smell and feel of the pages, and if I was living in the west, I wouldn't bother. But for us here Thailand, it seems perfect.

Edited by naboo