Inkjet Printers With Modified Outside Tanks

JimmyTheMook

I have been using mine for almost a year now with no problems, certainly a huge saving!

Would you please share what brand / model, thanks.

..mine from a CNX Pantip Plaza shoppe is a G TANK (Auto Ink Refill System)by "G-INK"

I was using exterior ink tanks for a long time in the UK.

My experiences was ...... great for use every day, a printer killer for those with occasional use.

BUt, printers are cheap and ink is expensive, it was usually cheaper to buy a new printer than buy official ink cartridges.

I had a similar challenge with the cost of replacement tanks so did a fairly extensive review of printers with external tanks and decided on an Epson TX300F [an MFC model] with dealer added tanks. It cost 4500Bht , 3 months ago from a "shop" in Tucom in Pattaya. I could have spent another 1800 Bht and got a faster machine but for my use the slower model is more than adequate. I use it for menus for my restaurant and financial graphs etc. About 500 pm.

Canon & HP were close contenders but supose I was influenced a bit by price and availabilty. I think basically those 3 manufacturers are kosher. Wish I could say that about the "shop" I purchased from.[see below]

I am now looking at buying ink to refill the tanks as after 2 months they are getting low and bottles [100mls] seem to be around 100Bht to 170 Bht. As you will see I will be buying from an authorised agent

All in all I am happy, but with the tanks I get warnings from the system that an internal cartridge needs to be changed and it is necessary to go through a minor procedure to make the system think that you have replaced the cartridge. It essentially involves pressing a button on the IC Card inside the printer and letting it "recharge". It occurs on each colour cartridge but not regularly so no real hassle.

So far you'd say OK!!

BUT BE WARNED...... only buy from an actual authorised dealer/agent and they are listed on the manufacturers websies. Do not believe the sales person!!

I bought from a "shop" and they added the tanks but it wasn't until I had a hiccup wth the facsimile function [caused by external elecrical surge - I think] that the following situations arose

• The "shop" could not repair despite me paying highly for the boy to pickup & redeliver, even though they said it was OK but wouldn't install and show me.
  • When I eventually went to an authorised dealer they said straight out mine was not an authorised option and so I had no warranty.
  • They were extremely helpful and agreed that they & Epson would honour the warranty to protect their product name but for me to warn others to ensure any options are supplied & fitted by an authorised Agent
  • Although they fixed it took 2 weeks while they waied for a Motherboard from Singapore and it cost me 600bht for labour, pickup/delivery and installion to show me it worked.
  • They also recommended that only ink recommend & sold from agents be used.

Hope this helps!!

I have had no real major problem with my Epsom TX200, but it is painfully slow. The color reproduction is only fair. I use the printer several times a week and have had no problems with dried ink. The freedom that comes with a CFI system and buying photo paper in bulk is wonderful. I want to trade up to a better printer, speed and color quality wise, but I don't know what to buy. Apparently the Epsoms are the most dependable, but other wise not the best. Suggestions?

With the new HP Deskjet Ink Advantage line of printers using 250 baht factory ink tanks (with spec of 600/250 A4 prints) wonder if that might be a better option for most home type users with moderate print requirements?

I have had no real major problem with my Epsom TX200, but it is painfully slow. The color reproduction is only fair. I use the printer several times a week and have had no problems with dried ink. The freedom that comes with a CFI system and buying photo paper in bulk is wonderful. I want to trade up to a better printer, speed and color quality wise, but I don't know what to buy. Apparently the Epsoms are the most dependable, but other wise not the best. Suggestions?

I forgot to mention that "my" computer tech told me that the InkMan color inks were the best, but not by much. They are more expensive. Any opinions out there?

.[*]When I eventually went to an authorised dealer they said straight out mine was not an authorised option and so I had no warranty.[*]They were extremely helpful and agreed that they & Epson would honour the warranty to protect their product name but for me to warn others to ensure any options are supplied & fitted by an authorised Agent[*]Although they fixed it took 2 weeks while they waied for a Motherboard from Singapore and it cost me 600bht for labour, pickup/delivery and installion to show me it worked.[*]They also recommended that only ink recommend & sold from agents be used.

Hope this helps!!

The only modification is to the cartridges.

If you wver have to send the printer for service you should have the ink tanks removed and fit standard cartridges. THen there is little problem.

I have an Epson Stylus Office TX600FW Multifunction printer and a cheap Epson Stylus T11. Both functioned perfectly before and after the ink tank fiasco. The shop that installed them was very good. Everytime I went in, they took care of the problem; they replaced the whole ink tank system in both printers twice -- no charge. Problem was, I was taking the lightly used printers into the shop practically every week!! I finally had all I could stand and ripped the damned things out and went back to the standard ink cartridges. Life has been good since, if a little more expensive.

The guy at the shop laid blame on the all the new printers using ink catridges with chips imbedded. As for newer printers, he said the ink tanks worked best with Brother printers. He said there were no problems with the older pre-chip printers. I tend to believe him because the problem always seemed to be software based. Rather that blaming the ink tank people, I suspect it is another case of being ripped off by the big printer companies. It is no secret that they make the bulk of their money from ink cartridge sales. Everytime somebody comes up with a great new idea to save money on ink, the printer companies come up with a way to screw the pooch. But what can we do?

That's my experience. I saw the ink tanks all over, thought what a great idea, it just didn't pan out.

I've got two Epsoms, an R300 and an R218, both photo quality plus capable of printing onto discs, and have been using external ink bottles for over five years now without any problems. I usually buy the cheaper refill bottles and the only thing I have to do is adjust the individual 'colour levels' slightly when I have to buy new refills, which is about every eighteen months to two years so I can cope with that.

I have used external tanks for years in Thailand and my latest printer,a Canon, has 4 tanks by Inkman,no clogging or any other problems.

Inkman are more expensive than rivals but they say their inks are much higher quality and,so far,true.

The weak link is actually the printer itself

I have 2 Brother printers, one A4 and one top of the series A3 duplex Wifi multicenter, both with external inktanks.

Completely satisfied, never a technical problem, the first 2 year old, the second 6 months, heavy duty works with some long stop for holiday, just start head cleaning, and start to print again.

Not so fast printing, but I don't care.

I had an epson cx3700 fitted with inktank when purchased. had nothing but problems with it. I suspect its due to little use. printers seem to need using everyday, or atleast often.

I'm looking to get a new printer tomorrow, probably the epson TX111. looks like its easy to just refill the cartridge with a syringe and bottles of ink from the local computer shop very cheaply. I probably won't bother with the tank again.

With the new HP Deskjet Ink Advantage line of printers using 250 baht factory ink tanks (with spec of 600/250 A4 prints) wonder if that might be a better option for most home type users with moderate print requirements?

The OP was refering to 'Modified Outside Tanks'. AFIK HP Deskjet printer cartridges cannot be reset, modified, or be continually refilled. I had more problems with ink drying up on HP 'original' cartridges more than anything else. And of course, cleaning the heads used the ink up rather quickly as they don't hold much ink. Each time I went to print something, I had to replace the cartridges. Never again will I buy an HP Deskjet! Not recommended to anyone. For me, they're only good as a door stop. IMO there is no 'Advantage' to them.

I've been using an Epson T11 printer with 'automatic reset' chips on the ink cartridges for over 2 years with the following results:

• No need to press a button.
  • No problem with ink drying out.
  • Costs are a fraction of it cost to buy ink cartridges.
  • Printouts are as good as the day I bought the printer (even with photos)
  • No mess, no fuss.
  • Printing varied from hundreds of pages to just 2 pages a month.

The important thing is is park the head by turning the printer off with the printer switch (not with a switch on a power strip or unplugging) when not in use. Print something which uses all the colors periodically. Once every two weeks seems fine. Keep a fair amount of ink in the tank. Capping the tanks aren't necessary and actually cause a problem when the are forgotten and not removed. Use air filters in place of the caps. By not following this guidelines is the only time I have seen the ink in the print head dry out.

Well worth the investment.

Edited by BB1950

I forgot to mention that "my" computer tech told me that the InkMan color inks were the best, but not by much. They are more expensive. Any opinions out there?

Rubish!

Any high quality Ink designed for the make of pinter works just fine. I use McKy inks. Bottles have a recappable nozzle to fill the ink tank. No syringes necessary. No spills, no mess, no fuss! 100ml bottles run about 120 baht.

The OP was refering to 'Modified Outside Tanks'. AFIK HP Deskjet printer cartridges cannot be reset, modified, or be continually refilled. I had more problems with ink drying up on HP 'original' cartridges more than anything else. And of course, cleaning the heads used the ink up rather quickly as they don't hold much ink. Each time I went to print something, I had to replace the cartridges. Never again will I buy an HP Deskjet! Not recommended to anyone. For me, they're only good as a door stop. IMO there is no 'Advantage' to them.

((cut))

And I was asking if original ink at 1/3 the normal price might make external tanks less attractive for those with modest requirements. Obviously you have issues with HP printers just as I had issues with Epson printers. But printer technology is not static and am sure the issues I had would likely not effect current lines. This "ink advantage" appears to be a new series of printers using 703 ink that is being advertised in Thailand currently.

And I was asking if original ink at 1/3 the normal price might make external tanks less attractive for those with modest requirements. Obviously you have issues with HP printers just as I had issues with Epson printers. But printer technology is not static and am sure the issues I had would likely not effect current lines. This "ink advantage" appears to be a new series of printers using 703 ink that is being advertised in Thailand currently.

You are aware that there is a standard print that is used in measuring ink use. It is about 4 lines a page.

http://www.astm.org/Standards/F2555.htm

Edited by harrry