Where To Register Divorce

PMK

The subject is really correct because I just got some more info and can't edit it.

My question, if a divorce is contested, does anyone know if the case has to be filed in the same province as the original marriage?

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by PMK

From experience my lawyer filed in the district court where my ex wife was registered as living on her house card. We weren't married in that district.

My lawyer claimed at the time it had to be filed there. I can't be 100% sure if that's correct. I changed lawyers soon after when he showed signs of batting for the other team. Regardless, the case continued through that court.

On a personal note. I wish you the best. Contested divorces are a rocky road. Be prepared for the possibility of increasing costs, multiple appeals and long waits between hearings.

Edited by Farma

From experience my lawyer filed in the district court where my ex wife was registered as living on her house card. We weren't married in that district.

My lawyer claimed at the time it had to be filed there. I can't be 100% sure if that's correct. I changed lawyers soon after when he showed signs of batting for the other team. Regardless, the case continued through that court.

On a personal note. I wish you the best. Contested divorces are a rocky road. Be prepared for the possibility of increasing costs, multiple appeals and long waits between hearings.

Hi Farma,

I have to be sure I understand fully - bear with me... by 'filed' do you mean you filed for divorce and were also contesting division of property? btw, do you mind if I ask if your case is settled yet?

Thanks.

Just a quick question to those in the know, if the OP was getting a divorce, and it is registered at the court, is his Visa then invalid, if done on Married to a Thai national?

Depends on if it is a visa or an extension of a visa. The visa will not be invalid and can be used until it expires, the extension though, will be invalid as the reason for extension no longer exists

I don't think the same district as where you married, but rather the district where the party who requests the divorce reside or the other party resides. A lawyer should know this and i don't think a court will procede if the divorced is filed for at the wrong court.

I don't think the same district as where you married, but rather the district where the party who requests the divorce reside or the other party resides. A lawyer should know this and i don't think a court will procede if the divorced is filed for at the wrong court.

Yeah, a lawyer should know, but different lawyers tell me different things: one says as you do, the amphur where the tabian ban is; another, where the marriage was registered. This is specifically about a contested divorce where property is being disputed. Man, I have been to five lawyers, and there are wide variances in their opinions on very basic and very important elements of this case. And that is after I pump them for information, which is like pulling teeth - it comes out ever so slowly and also painfully, it seems.