Are Voip Calls Blocked By Isp's?

BaanOz

Hi,

Bought my notebook from Oz to Thailand.

In Oz I make VOIP calls no worries at all with my notebook. I had changed no settings but am having trouble here to make calls.

When I make the call, the other end rings and is picked up. I can hear the other person but they can't hear me.

Done all the stuff like making sure the mic is working OK and turned off my firewall, mic volume up. I'm using Xten software phone.

Anyway, the only other thing I can think of is that I know VOIP is illegal here and maybe the ISP's can block these calls. I'm using Ji-Net dial-up.

Anyone know if ISP's do this?

Cheers BaanOz

I'm using some different voip services on my Ji-net adsl without problems (skype & net2phone)...

Strange, since most problems are the other way around, meaning outbound traffic is OK but the incoming traffic can't reach your PC...

Edited by monty

i am surprised you can make voip on dial up work at all.

Joka,

If you use the "GSM" codec then the calls are OK, not great but OK :o

Try other codecs and the call quality is crap. I have tried them all including the G729 codec that is meant to be good with low bandwidth but I found GSM to be better. I also turn anything off that may interfere with the connection including my mail checker etc.

Here is some gerneral info on VOIP

At home I have 256/64 ADSL connection and the return voice being 64 is only slightly faster then dial-up anyway and with 64 it's fine.

Cheers BaanOz

Strange, since most problems are the other way around, meaning outbound traffic is OK but the incoming traffic can't reach your PC...

Yes weird, that's why the last thing I could think of was the ISP blocking but since you can use VOIP with Ji-Net then it's something else ...I'll give up for now :o

Cheers BaanOz

:o:D:D:D:D:D:D

Who reckons things are getting more complicated these days!

I found the problem.

I have 2 accounts with my VOIP provider. One for a Calling Card and one for VOIP. Guess which one I was looking at the account for ...yep, the Calling Card.

The Calling Card had credit but my VOIP account had no credit. That's why it wasn't working!

I found it in the Xten software phone diagnostic log.

BTW the call quality IS crap too and I won't bother using it with dial-up! There is a massive delay with the calls, unlike my ADSL at home in OZ.

Cheers, BaanOz

As I found VOIP with dial-up is crap with the VOIP provider/ISP/phone connection I have (ie: other people might find it fine :o does anyone know the price of calls to Sydney using TOT.

I found their website HERE but I can't find their international call rates.

Cheers BaanOz

BaanOz,

I haven't bothered with voip to much lately, with both TOT and CAT introducing these cheap calls.

Use 007 or 009 as prefix instead of 001 and I pay some 7 Bath/minute to Europe...

Not sure if you call to Oz, but reckon it won't be much more!

• 2 weeks later...

I use Skype internet to landline which you have to pay 10euros for a few hours for, same to Aus and US it is called Skypeout on the web site. Sometimes it is unbelievably good sometimes it unbelievably bad sometimes in between. I guess if you studied it you could work out the times it works best.

Ity is so cheap that I think you just got to have it, I phone my mother up who is nearing 80 and she rambles on for half an hour or so and it costs peanuts, two people having a conversation sometimes seem to overlap a bit. Worth a try though!

I've used Skype since it came out, on dial up. I use the free one that requires both parties to be on the computer. Call to US, EU, Brazil, all come thru fine with sometimes a time lag on peak hrs. Only with conference call the lag may be a bit annoying, it requires a bit of discipline. Use Pacific internet as ISP and ZoneAlarm.

The only thing with Skype is that you need to have the settings for audio quite correct, but they have a step by step help page on their web site, that guides you through.

Love it 3THB for a conference call between THai,Brazil,EU and US ! beat that! :o