Farang, Elected As Politician In Thailand

LaoPo

In 99% of our Western democracies we know about elected politicians born or not in another country, whether they're black, white, yellow or brown.

Not that Russia is a full western democracy but it's still amazing that a black man from West Africa's Benin has been elected a politician in a 10,000 people village some 100 km north of Moscow:

http://www.huffingto...m_n_658697.html

How long before a Farang will be elected as a (local) politician in Thailand ?

It's not impossible since many Thai/Chinese are Thai politicians in more or less high positions but a Farang, black or white ?

LaoPo

To make this possible, first Thailand would have to give those of us that settle here, marrage to a Thai, retirement, whatever, full immigration status.

How could a white and I am not talking about half Thai, half farangs, become a politician in Thailand if they can`t first accept us as farang communities part of the Thailand population and Thai citizens.

It is possible for a farang to become a Thai citizen, but these are rare exceptions to the rule and hardly worth mentioning. Probably have more chance of being struck by lighting and winning the lottery on the same day then becoming a Thai citizen with full rights as the Thai people.

No, it will never happen, not in my lifetime.

Not in this millenium.

not so pessimistic elkangorito....

:rolleyes:..when was the first black student admitted to a university in the US and when was the first black president in the US elected? There are a mere few decades in between....

If the kids of poor Chinese immigrants can make it in Thailand, why not a Farang?

Stranger things have happened in LOS.

LaoPo

I would also have to say it's highly unlikely for at least another generation. There have been relatively recent instances where candidates for public office (who were Thai citizens) were rejected because one parent was not a Thai citizen. At least one such case was taken to the Constitution Court where the practice was deemed to be unconstitutional. As far as I am aware no further action was taken and nothing changed. I can provide an online reference to this case if anyone is interested.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

Well Thailand has one past PM who never proved he was actually Thai, the accusation being that he was not born in Thailand but was Chinese.

The issue was dodged and dodged and dodged but never answered ... in that very Thai way.

[edit].... But also keep in mind that one of the most frequently raised 'accusations' made by the enemies of the current PM is that he was 'educated overseas'.

Edited by GuestHouse

:unsure:

How long before a foriegn born Farang will be elected to a Thai political office? Well, it will be a while, I expect.

I have known one American born white Farang who reitred in Thailand and eventually recieved Thai citizenship. He taught in a university in Chiang Mai, and was a full professor there. Probably he has passed away now as I knew him at least 30 years ago and he was in his 60's then.

The point of the this whole story is that he was actually asked by a group of politicians in Chiang Mai to run as a candidate for elected office in Thailand...but he turned down the offer as he thought he was too old at the time for the job. He was qualified too, because he had gained Thai citizenship at the time. He was one of the smartest men I ever met. He had retired in Thailand after a sucessful career in the U.S as a lawyer. Came to Thailand for health reasons due to his age, learned Thai, taught in that university in Chiang Mai and became a full tenured professor there. Wrote a book on Thai history and taught a class in Thai law and Western law...on similarities and differences in Thai to graduate students there in Chiang Mai. If any farang could have been elected to Thai political office, it would have been him. I don't expect that there will be many others like him again very soon.

:o

I would also have to say it's highly unlikely for at least another generation. There have been relatively recent instances where candidates for public office (who were Thai citizens) were rejected because one parent was not a Thai citizen. At least one such case was taken to the Constitution Court where the practice was deemed to be unconstitutional. As far as I am aware no further action was taken and nothing changed. I can provide an online reference to this case if anyone is interested.

Yes, am much interested. Plse provide link you mentioned. Thank you.

Yes, am much interested. Plse provide link you mentioned. Thank you.

The paper was at this URL but today is showing "file not found"

http://www.concourt.or.th/download/Summary_desic/46/Summary_desic_eng/e45_46.pdf

If I come across it again at an alternative location I'll send you a pm with details

As well as Geordie Mark there's Cockney Korn, born in London, educated at Winchester College and Oxford University, where he was a classmate of Mark, and current Finance Minister.

I'm waiting to see if Andrew Biggs makes a run for office.

Not in this millenium.

not so pessimistic elkangorito....

:rolleyes:..when was the first black student admitted to a university in the US and when was the first black president in the US elected? There are a mere few decades in between....

If the kids of poor Chinese immigrants can make it in Thailand, why not a Farang?

Stranger things have happened in LOS.

LaoPo

The difference between Thailand and the USA in this example is that the first black student and the first black president were citizens of the USA.

How many Falangs are Thais citizens?

I have known one American born white Farang who reitred in Thailand and eventually recieved Thai citizenship. He taught in a university in Chiang Mai, and was a full professor there.

And I bet everyone still considered him a tourist. :whistling:

It'd need a generation or two of dilution of xenophobia and awkward thinking before anything like this would happen.

The difference between Thailand and the USA in this example is that the first black student and the first black president were citizens of the USA.

How many Falangs are Thais citizens?

Thailand 's got to change to a multi-culti country first , in fact they are already but

the development is still behind , when that followes up , those mammoth brains of those politicians and xenophobic traditional fake cultural politics are keeping Thailand behind .

When Thailand gets rid of its demons , red yellow and the whole corrupt rainbow ,

my bet is it will surpass Japan , and multi-culti with citizenship is no longer an issue ,

Thailand has grown up .

One more time , Thailand has grown up .......

My bet is not in our life time , and I'm only 34 .

Edited by tijnebijn

geez, another one of those 'them Thai's don't like us' posts.

hints:

- Learn to speak Thai.

- Learn the route to citizenship (slow, but hardly difficult...you just have to realise there is no 'default option' of hanging about for 5 years like there is in the UK)

- spend the time while you are waiting for citizenship to be granted building up a stack of good will in your electorate, and having lots of people owing you something. Failing that, align yourself with some unsavoury types who will have the bank of goodwill open for your use (for a price of course)

- Align yourself with a pile of cash to flitter away during campaign time

- Be prepared to attend every wedding, funeral and kids graduation ceremony in the province, which means that just about every evening and weekend is taken up. If you have spare time, be willing to have people taken out to a sumptuous banquet at the latest fashionable restuarant. Oh yeah, and you'll be paying, each time.

- Learn to dance to pointless issan music at every rally

- Don't bother to learn about anything policy wise that might actually take Thailand forward

- Learn to look like you are superior to everyone else, but at election time, pretend that you like the poor

- Get at least 5 mia-noi's on the side, as no self respecting Thai politican would have any less.

And with that, you have your guide to becoming an elected Thai MP.

I just question whether there is a farang brave enough to endure all of the above.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Lao po, I believe you knew the answer to your question before you asked it (rhetorical).

My considered answer is not in any of the current viewers of this thread's lifetime.

Will it ever happen? I think yes. In possibly 50 years or more from now as Thais become far less racist, xenophobic and more politically correct.

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about a white skinned caucasian (greater chance) or black skinned african (less chance) who does not have either one or both Thai parents.

Question: Does anybody have accurate figures on the number of westeners, who do not have any Thai relatives/blood, that have been granted full voting citizenship, say, over the past 10 years or so?

I suspect the answer will not reach tripple digets.. But to my way of thinking the number should, in all fairness, be around 30,000 to 50,000.

Lao po, I believe you knew the answer to your question before you asked it (rhetorical).

My considered answer is not in any of the current viewers of this thread's lifetime.

Will it ever happen? I think yes. In possibly 50 years or more from now as Thais become far less racist, xenophobic and more politically correct.

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about a white skinned caucasian (greater chance) or black skinned african (less chance) who does not have either one or both Thai parents.

Question: Does anybody have accurate figures on the number of westeners, who do not have any Thai relatives/blood, that have been granted full voting citizenship, say, over the past 10 years or so?

I suspect the answer will not reach tripple digets.. But to my way of thinking the number should, in all fairness, be around 30,000 to 50,000.

You are obviously not residing in Thailand.

Farangs with full voting rights and citizenship in Thailand? 30k to 50k?

I would venture to say, just a handful, if any.