Best Handling Car Under 1.2 Million

Can consider other models for that price range but out of the ones you've mentioned I'd take the Focus.... But as I said there are others such as the Mazda3 and some other pretty respectable

models..

The Mazda 3 has dynamic stability and traction control so it handles incredibly well. Just bought one here in Oz, There sell new for 700,000 baht here. Not sure of the price in Thailand, but I heard they are made there.

Bangkok, Thailand – January 7, 2010: Mazda Thailand has announced new prices for its sporty Mazda3 to start from 755,000 Baht as a result of ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA) duty saving structure in 2010

http://www.mazda.co.th/en/news_detail.php?news_id=162

Edited by waza

Out of the box, the (coming soon) Ford Fiesta... which would leave you with a spare 500K (assuming top spec purchased).

More than enough Baht left over to install the KW coilover suspension (50K), The Ford Sweden supercharger kit (170K), a CAI kit (15K), a PumaSpeed or Mountune exhuast (60K), a all-round brake upgrade (60K) and some lightweight wheels and tires (40K), for a car that can do 0-100 in the 6's, stop, and go around corners :D

Just saying.. ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Best Handling Car Under 1.2 Million is that new or used ?

Something a bit different

2 year old MERCEDES-BENZ A Class

2 year old ALFA ROMEO - 156 - Selespeed 2.0 AT

3 year old Volvo C30 funky and rare here

Did see in a tent a early 2009 1.4 VW Golf @ 1.210,000 baht

Out of the box, the (coming soon) Ford Fiesta... which would leave you with a spare 500K (assuming top spec purchased).

More than enough Baht left over to install the KW coilover suspension (50K), The Ford Sweden supercharger kit (170K), a CAI kit (15K), a PumaSpeed or Mountune exhuast (60K), a all-round brake upgrade (60K) and some lightweight wheels and tires (40K), for a car that can do 0-100 in the 6's, stop, and go around corners :D

Just saying.. ;)

I was thinking about the 302 ci V8 version. :whistling:

2010 Ford Taurus would be nice!

I used to drive a focus 2.0

The best handling (normal) car I have ever driven.

Much better than a civic or a toyota.

That's interesting looks like the only one of the few with a diesel option. jap.gif

Yes, and if I would not be worried about selling it again in two years, I would buy another one!

That's interesting looks like the only one of the few with a diesel option. jap.gif

Yes, and if I would not be worried about selling it again in two years, I would buy another one!

Can you elaborate on that; you struggled to sell a focus here before? hatch or saloon?

I'm currently looking at the honda/ford/mazda/toyota options in this price range (new), and for me, the Ford 2.0 TDCI with 6 speed powershift box appeals the most as a 'drivers' car....

But obviously I'm aware that in general hatches aren't popular here, and in this section at least, Ford aren't a popular make.

You have any other comments on the focus?

Never owned an auto, but hate the slow gear changes and the pre-planning required to accelerate for an overtake on standard autos (waiting for the kick down...)

Can you elaborate on that; you struggled to sell a focus here before? hatch or saloon?

I'm currently looking at the honda/ford/mazda/toyota options in this price range (new), and for me, the Ford 2.0 TDCI with 6 speed powershift box appeals the most as a 'drivers' car....

But obviously I'm aware that in general hatches aren't popular here, and in this section at least, Ford aren't a popular make.

Never owned an auto, but hate the slow gear changes and the pre-planning required to accelerate for an overtake on standard autos (waiting for the kick down...)

I would say hatches ARE popular here - look at mazda 3, jazz and yaris. Definately the focus tdci would be the best of the lot under 1.2M. The main problem here is the perception of ford and its effect on resale. Hopefully the fiesta will help change that perception. The powershift definately isn't slow like a regular autobox. It was tested in Malaysia and most testers ran faster 0-400 times in the powershift compared to the 6 speed manual. Personally I'd go for it if it weren;t for poor resale.

However, you wouls save a lot of money running that efficient diesel compared to a 2.0 civic (10 km/l vs 17 km/l). So over long distances any losses on resale will be made up for by savings on fuel.

So over long distances any losses on resale will be made up for by savings on fuel.

If handling is the prerequisite, I think I'd buy a Suzuki Swift.(sadly the Sport version is not here yet, if at all) and save 560,000-ish. OK not quite as good as the Mini if one can drive like Tiff but.....If it was a company car ( not my company!) and my limit was 1.2m then Focus diesel even though I don't do enough miles to warrant the saving on fuel.

2010 Ford Taurus would be nice!

Hasn't Taurus been replaced with Fusion or did Ford keep the Taurus name in US?

Edited by VocalNeal

I loved the focus, i had the 2.0 s version with trip tronic auto gearbox. The kickdown was a little slow, but not too bad.

It reaaly handles well, is comfortable, and I find the interiour better than any other car in the same price range.

The 2.0 petrol is thursty though, now drive a fortuner diesel and am getting better KM/Liter on long trips.

Again, I would have bought the diesel focus, but wanted a car that would be easy to sell at a good price.

Sold my focus last time within 1-2 months, but lost quite a bit of money compared to a toyota or honda.

I loved the focus, i had the 2.0 s version with trip tronic auto gearbox. The kickdown was a little slow, but not too bad.

It reaaly handles well, is comfortable, and I find the interiour better than any other car in the same price range.

The 2.0 petrol is thursty though, now drive a fortuner diesel and am getting better KM/Liter on long trips.

Again, I would have bought the diesel focus, but wanted a car that would be easy to sell at a good price.

Sold my focus last time within 1-2 months, but lost quite a bit of money compared to a toyota or honda.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, resale is important, but so is driving something I like....hmmm decisions decisions

although I might be wise to wait, as searching on the net I understand the Focus Mk3 will be released early next year, with updated looks, and they expect an improved diesel engine.

Hopefully paddle shift will be fitted too

I would say hatches ARE popular here - look at mazda 3, jazz and yaris. Definately the focus tdci would be the best of the lot under 1.2M. The main problem here is the perception of ford and its effect on resale. Hopefully the fiesta will help change that perception. The powershift definately isn't slow like a regular autobox. It was tested in Malaysia and most testers ran faster 0-400 times in the powershift compared to the 6 speed manual. Personally I'd go for it if it weren;t for poor resale.

However, you wouls save a lot of money running that efficient diesel compared to a 2.0 civic (10 km/l vs 17 km/l). So over long distances any losses on resale will be made up for by savings on fuel.

I would agree that hatches are popular in the super mini section, but thats the only style available in the 500k to 700k bracket, and whilst you do see a few mazda 3 hatches, I see more of the saloon version. The civic is a good example, as the (in my opinion) better looking hatch isn't even available here. Toyota don't offer a mid size hatch.

It will be interesting to see which of the fiesta styles sells better.

I don't really understand the unpopularity of hatches here, if anything they're more practical because of the unrestricted loading entry, easier to park and, in my opinion, look way better too.

It's a shame VW don't have a factory here, 34 grand for a 1.4 Golf is a bit silly blink.gif

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, resale is important, but so is driving something I like....hmmm decisions decisions

although I might be wise to wait, as searching on the net I understand the Focus Mk3 will be released early next year, with updated looks, and they expect an improved diesel engine.

Hopefully paddle shift will be fitted too

Resale isn't going to be a problem forever and you're not going to be selling 6 months after you purchase are you?? Fords reputation on their cars is slowly gaining ground and who knows in 4 or 5 years as well there seems to be a rather positive measure of expats here so at your resale point it seems that there may be more then a few expats that will understand and appreciate the value of the package you have to offer for resale and the fact that it has been owned and maintained by an expat..

I would agree that hatches are popular in the super mini section, but thats the only style available in the 500k to 700k bracket, and whilst you do see a few mazda 3 hatches, I see more of the saloon version. The civic is a good example, as the (in my opinion) better looking hatch isn't even available here. Toyota don't offer a mid size hatch.

It will be interesting to see which of the fiesta styles sells better.

I don't really understand the unpopularity of hatches here, if anything they're more practical because of the unrestricted loading entry, easier to park and, in my opinion, look way better too.

It's a shame VW don't have a factory here, 34 grand for a 1.4 Golf is a bit silly blink.gif

VW has begun production of the Polo in India and has a new FTA with Thailand so they plan to import them here in 2011... I think this is by far the best looking hatch in the class it only remains to be seen the cost it also will come in diesel package..

The handling has been well sorted for years and they are built on the golf platform..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just saying.. ;)

I'm always impressed by the quality of your posts, you are clearly very knowledgable and write in a very informative way.

The only thought I had upon seeing this thread about 'best handling' is how poor Thai roads are with potholes and those expansion gaps between the different sections of concrete. I'm not advocating pick-ups but there is something to be said for a larger chassis and the biggest wheels possible.

^ Except that is the antithesis of good handling.. A good suspension provides the proper amount of feedback and reaction both of which are absent in those qualities you mention and can be built and adjusted into a good quality after market suspension on a street car.. Not to mention the significantly increased loss of traction in wet conditions a constant issue in Thailand..

A good compromise is the best option..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just saying.. ;)

Now I know why i keep seeing those little cars behind me when I am doing 180km.h for 5 hours. I always wonder why they sprint so well.

I bought one of the first 50 Ford focus when they came out here, I paid my deposit befoer the brochures were ready, after 2 years I sold it half the price I bought it. It was a drivers car , we did Bangkok Samui like 5 times, Phuket twice, we do go to Chiangmai and back to Bkk the same day. It needs an oil change after 15000kms and the kick down is not that slow.

Another cheap strong car is the Chevy Optra. You can push it around as hard as you want on the highways, the 1600cc seems to sprint off a lot quicker, but the 1800cc with rpm higher than 4000, you can tag behind a Decent Porsche all the way.

I have tried several Japanese badged models of same capacity, the engines grow weary fast after several hard driving trips.

To the OP , go for a Ford or a Chevy, forget the 2.0 camry, accord or teana, weight to push ratio is not impressive , except if you just go to pick people from the airport as a job.

^ You know being from the states we have speed limited cars but when I went to Germany where the cars are not limited I have a video of us traveling on the autobahn and I had a crappy rented Citroen C4 diesel (normally like them but not this basic diesel model and especially in Germany with the autobahn pecking order placing us at the bottom of the food chain but couldn't rent my hoped for VW Golf :annoyed: ).

Anyway we were doing about 220Kph flat out and I looked in my rear view to see a Focus coming up on me like I was in reverse. Make matters even more disheartening as he passed it was a frigging family wagon! It walked away from us like we were in neutral! I remember telling my now wife how we have no Focuses like that in the States even on the track it'd be hard pressed as the rules prevent it in most series, I don't know what was in that Focus couldn't catch up to find out :( but I want one and that was 8 years ago.

As they passed they suddenly slowed in front of us, must have been thinking we were one of those mobile video cops or something shooting them until they saw it was a junk C4 :( (though on that part I don't remember any speed limits it was quite rural) but just as we caught up to them like rowing up stream they bolted again and even at that speed their acceleration was astoundingly impressive...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just saying.. ;)

I'm always impressed by the quality of your posts, you are clearly very knowledgable and write in a very informative way.

The only thought I had upon seeing this thread about 'best handling' is how poor Thai roads are with potholes and those expansion gaps between the different sections of concrete. I'm not advocating pick-ups but there is something to be said for a larger chassis and the biggest wheels possible.

It depends on where you're driving of course - in the cities the roads are generally just fine for a small car with tuned suspension.

In any case, all I was really doing was pointing out a left-field option, knowing that all other responses would be suggesting factory-spec cars ;)

Just saying.. ;)

It depends on where you're driving of course - in the cities the roads are generally just fine for a small car with tuned suspension.

In any case, all I was really doing was pointing out a left-field option, knowing that all other responses would be suggesting factory-spec cars ;)

I agree with your post, you could make a fiesta into a proper motor, but the whole boy racer thing never caught on with me. The worst thing I ever did was put a full stainless scorpion exhaust on a mark2 CRX, it did nothing for performance, just added an annoying drone on every drive.

Back in the UK, the cost after adding all your bits, you could buy a nearly new Impreza WRX, and have factory spec performance... out here it's a different story, the 2nd hand market is small and so is depreciation, so buying a 2 year old car isn't worth sacrificing that new car smell...

Besides that, I think adding a supercharger kind of invalidates any warrantee rolleyes.gif

I agree with your post, you could make a fiesta into a proper motor, but the whole boy racer thing never caught on with me. The worst thing I ever did was put a full stainless scorpion exhaust on a mark2 CRX, it did nothing for performance, just added an annoying drone on every drive.

Back in the UK, the cost after adding all your bits, you could buy a nearly new Impreza WRX, and have factory spec performance... out here it's a different story, the 2nd hand market is small and so is depreciation, so buying a 2 year old car isn't worth sacrificing that new car smell...

Besides that, I think adding a supercharger kind of invalidates any warrantee rolleyes.gif

Sadly we live in a country where the next levels up are magnitudes more expensive - pricing them well out of reach for a lot of people. So for many it's just a case of capitulating to what you can afford vs what you want, and then trying to make the most of it :)

Note that the engine-related performance upgrades I suggested (supercharger, exhaust, CAI) are all Ford warrantied factory options in their respective markets (Sweden for the supercharger and UK for the Mountune upgrades). Of course that wouldn't translate to Thailand though - no doubt you'd lose warranty here :)

All good fun.. :P

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Best Handling Car Under 1.2 Million is that new or used ?

Something a bit different

2 year old MERCEDES-BENZ A Class

2 year old ALFA ROMEO - 156 - Selespeed 2.0 AT

3 year old Volvo C30 funky and rare here

Did see in a tent a early 2009 1.4 VW Golf @ 1.210,000 baht

An Alfa? You might as well stay at the dealer's office since it ll break down as soon as you drive it longer than a day!

So for many it's just a case of capitulating to what you can afford vs what you want, and then trying to make the most of it :)

I would paraphrase this to what you can find vs what you want. Almost captured in one sentence part of the allure of living in Asia.