New Thai Banknotes Coming In December

webfact

New banknotes coming in December

By The Nation

The Bank of Thailand board yesterday approved the printing of new banknotes as the present currency notes - the "15th set"- had been in circulation for 12 years now.

The 16th set banknotes - those worth Bt20, Bt50, Bt100, Bt500 and Bt1,000 - would include more anti-counterfeit features.

The new set format was currently awaiting approval from the Royal Household Bureau. It was expected to be distributed for use after December 5.

Assistant to the BOT Governor, Jittima Duriyaprapan, said the bank's fake banknote monitoring team had found a 39 per cent drop in the first half of this year, compared to last.

About half the fake banknotes were found in Central Thailand - especially Pattaya, Ayutthaya, and Khamphaeng Phet- because the region had more cash flow than other regions, and the bank had worked with police to trace the sources of these counterfeit banknotes, she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-28

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atleast some laws are being enforced and something is being done to protect the people..

Oh sure. That's the first thing I would consider when thinking of the government and related extension: the well-being and protection of it's people.:whistling:

I think one should look beyond the good part of these announcements. Someone in government must be benefiting by changing these notes. As I have learned, nothing get done in Thai government unless someone in charge receive some benefit by the decisions

I think one should look beyond the good part of these announcements. Someone in government must be benefiting by changing these notes. As I have learned, nothing get done in Thai government unless someone in charge receive some benefit by the decisions

It's quiet common for banknotes to be updated every once in a while. The USA has been doing this for a while. The ECB plans to redesign the notes every seven or eight years after each issue, so the second series of banknotes should already be in preparation. Mostly the reason is to add security features. The Thai notes are 12 years old it said, so may be about time to design new ones. Although a higher denomination note would be nice for some, trying to pay a taxi driver with 100 Baht can already be a problem.

Edited by rubl

• 1 year later...

starting to sound like Rhodesia

Check out all the zeroes. And this was AFTER they had knocked some off in an earlier currency adjustment.

When I was staying in another country with hyperinflation, the banks were offering over 100% interest on deposit accounts and there were still few takers since inflation was eroding the value of money at a faster pace than that.

post-145917-0-22200900-1324214587_thumb.

post-145917-0-34613100-1324214884_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

Whatever happened to the plastic 50 B notes.

I was hoping they would extend it to the other denominations.

Very handy during Songkran !

Time for a 5000 B note ?

Problems with the currency now.

1=anyone with sight or even slight sight faults--the 20 green and the 50 blue can get a bit mixed up--as the green isn't green enough and the blue isn't blue enough.

2=the 100 bht and the 1000 bht notes again can easily ( if mixed together) are not altogether dissimilar

3=GET RID of the stupid and senseless SATANG, 100 for 1 bht.they are a waste of good metal. thus saving a bomb in minting the useless <deleted>.

My own thought would be, 1-2-5-10-20 bht coins bronze silver and or dual colour.

Notes. Bold blue 50 bht---------crimson 100 bht-------------orange 500 bht-------emerald green for 1000 bht.

The 5000 bht note would be too large, and would be open to fraud and copying. so a 2000 bht note in red blue and white-Thai colours. I just woke up from a dream-----but my idea, comments on that posters---------non political please B)

1280289069[/url]' post='3778501']

Time for a 5000 B note ?

Long since past time forva 4 or 5,000 baht note

I think my comment from more than a year ago (#16) is still valid:

Although a higher denomination note would be nice for some, trying to pay a taxi driver with 100 Baht can already be a problem.

Time for a 5000 B note ?

1=anyone with sight or even slight sight faults--the 20 green and the 50 blue can get a bit mixed up--as the green isn't green enough and the blue isn't blue enough.

2=the 100 bht and the 1000 bht notes again can easily ( if mixed together) are not altogether dissimilar

3=GET RID of the stupid and senseless SATANG, 100 for 1 bht.they are a waste of good metal. thus saving a bomb in minting the useless <deleted>.

My own thought would be, 1-2-5-10-20 bht coins bronze silver and or dual colour.

Notes. Bold blue 50 bht---------crimson 100 bht-------------orange 500 bht-------emerald green for 1000 bht.

The 5000 bht note would be too large, and would be open to fraud and copying. so a 2000 bht note in red blue and white-Thai colours. I just woke up from a dream-----but my idea, comments on that posters---------non political please B)

I actually find the 100 and 500 confusing in bad light. I never get the 100 and 1000 mixed up.

Edited by whybother

starting to sound like Rhodesia

Check out all the zeroes. And this was AFTER they had knocked some off in an earlier currency adjustment.

When I was staying in another country with hyperinflation, the banks were offering over 100% interest on deposit accounts and there were still few takers since inflation was eroding the value of money at a faster pace than that.

But remember ,just about everyone can be a dollar millionaire. A wheelbarrow of cash to buy a loaf of bread.

Rhodesia was the breadbasket of southern Africa, Zimbabwe is the basket case of southern Africa. Ebagum.:bah:

I do wish they would discontinue those irritating little satang coins that no one wants and serve no purpose other than helping the big stores squeeze that little bit extra money from us.

Surely it would save the Thai Government money by ceasing production of these stupid coins and let the stores round off everything to the nearest baht so that customers have a clearer picture of what they are actually paying for the goods?

Have you noticed how nobody (7/1's notably) don't like giving 50 Baht notes. For 70 Baht change you are most likely to get 3 x 20 and a 10 Bt coin rather than a 50 and 20 note.

I also think it is time for a 2,000 Baht note but I can understand the reluctance to do so on fraud grounds and also acceptability - many place already use marker pens on 500 and 1000 notes, Buddha only know what measures retailers will take if you try and pay with a 2,000 note.

Yes - I would NEVER try and pay a taxi driver with a 2,000 note :ermm:

Just a thought, this new note issue - could it be Thailand's attempt at quantitative easing ?

Yes a 5000bt note would be to large,they look at me like im mad in my local mom and pop store if i give them a 1000 note,imagine giving them 5000 for a few beers and a packet of chips.lol

Time for a 5000 B note ?

I am suprised they did not introduce larger denominations. With inflation it must be getting harder and harder to fit enough notes in a lunchbox.

The main reason why governments are reluctant to issue high denomination banks notes, is because to them it is admitting that theyโ€™re economic policies are not working and losing the battle against inflation. Looking at the situation logically, it would be much more practical to have 20 baht and 50 baht as coins rather than notes. Although producing coins in the short term is more expensive than notes, in the long term coins are a better investment and can last for scores of years, way passed when notes have worn out and served theyโ€™re purpose.

But again it`s all played by tactics. Having smaller amounts as notes gives the appearance that the currency is worth more than it actually is and the economy is doing well.

I am suprised they did not introduce larger denominations. With inflation it must be getting harder and harder to fit enough notes in a lunchbox.

The main reason why governments are reluctant to issue high denomination banks notes, is because to them it is admitting that they're economic policies are not working and losing the battle against inflation. Looking at the situation logically, it would be much more practical to have 20 baht and 50 baht as coins rather than notes. Although producing coins in the short term is more expensive than notes, in the long term coins are a better investment and can last for scores of years, way passed when notes have worn out and served they're purpose.

But again it`s all played by tactics. Having smaller amounts as notes gives the appearance that the currency is worth more than it actually is and the economy is doing well.

I find coins annoying.

I would rather have low value notes (or even mixed currencies like Cambodia) than coins.

Just me.

Some bars in Pattaya have difficulty in distinguishing between 500 Baht and 1000 Baht notes.

Check your change carefully!

Had a discussion with the BIB on this issue and was told to note the last 3 digits on the B1000 before handing it over. If a dispute arises, let the bar know there is a dispute (politely) and if not resolved call the BIB. If they find a the note with your 3 digits, in either the till or bar staff's possession they will charge them with theft.

This is a known scam, and odds of another note with same 3 digits are 1/1000, good enough for a conviction.

The old B50 plastic note was oz made and similar to all oz notes.

They are more expensive to make, and can be awkward to handle, but last far longer than paper and are almost impossible to counterfeit.

If you put them through the wash they come up clean as new, but don't handle ironing very well.

A couple of years back we had a rash of fake B1000 notes on Samui and I had the bad luck to get one from an ATM. Took it into the bank where they refused to admit it came from their ATM and then confiscated it, probably to pass on to the next sucker.

thai baht already has so many counterfeit measures, i think it has the most i have ever seen compared to any other currency.

complete nonsense-which merely shows again the ignorance of most TV-users. Or your insignificant travel experience.or maybe USAer-the country with the least safety measures of widely circulating currencies? But Yes, TH has indeed a fairly good system of updating its banknotes and bringing in new safety features. The trend elsewhere is more and more to simpy oust paper and real money and going plastic- even more open to cheating and fraud.