Thai Truth Council Says Chaining Prisoners Inappropriate

webfact

Truth council says chaining prisoners inappropriate

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_17366.jpg

The chairman of the Truth and National Reconciliation Committee, Kanit na Nakhon, said yesterday that his committee had discussed the use of iron fetters on Natthawut Saikua, when he was presented to the Criminal Court on July 1, as conduct against international standards.

Referring to a United Nations document prohibiting the use of fetters except in cases of prisoner escape attempts or violence, the committee plans to file a complaint with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, calling for changes in the treatment of detained people.

"These red-shirt leaders turned themselves in and have no intention to escape. Binding them with fetters is deemed inappropriate," Kanit said.

The committee also launched online social-network accounts to communicate with the public. It can be followed @THAI_TRC on Twitter and www.facebook.com/TRCT2010. Its e-mail address is thaitrc1 [at] gmail.com.

All comments and information are welcome, it said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-28

<br />Well I for one agree with this article do believe chains and keel hauling should be put in the past.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Then, how can you stop alleged criminal from escaping?

Just like any other civilized country in the world. Handcuffs and proper security personnel.

That means security(guards) can not be smoking, drinking beer, talking on the phone, scratching their balls, eating or everything else that they do rather then the actual work.

I find it amusing that some council has to state the obvious for anyone to start using their brain. This is year 2010, if brain does not work then simply look at other country's and copy it like a monkey

<br />
<br />
<br />Well I for one agree with this article do believe chains and keel hauling should be put in the past.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Then, how can you stop alleged criminal from escaping?<br />
<br /><br />Just like any other civilized country in the world. Handcuffs and proper security personnel.<br /><br />That means security(guards) can not be smoking, drinking beer, talking on the phone, scratching their balls, eating  or everything else that they do rather then the actual work.<br /><br />I find it amusing that some council has to state the obvious for anyone to start using their brain. This is year 2010, if brain does not work then simply look at other country's and copy it like a monkey<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You mean Thailand is not like any other civilized country in the world? I find this amazing. Amazing Thailand.

<br /><br /><br />

Just like any other civilized country in the world. Handcuffs and proper security personnel.

That means security(guards) can not be smoking, drinking beer, talking on the phone, scratching their balls, eating or everything else that they do rather then the actual work.

I find it amusing that some council has to state the obvious for anyone to start using their brain. This is year 2010, if brain does not work then simply look at other country's and copy it like a monkey

You try not scratching your balls when they itch. Do you only do it when you are off work? LOL

I myself have to agree with the article all though to be honest keelhauling some people has a certain appeal to it.

<br />
<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Then, how can you stop alleged criminal from escaping?<br />
<br /><br />Just like any other civilized country in the world. Handcuffs and proper security personnel.<br /><br />That means security(guards) can not be smoking, drinking beer, talking on the phone, scratching their balls, eating or everything else that they do rather then the actual work.<br /><br />I find it amusing that some council has to state the obvious for anyone to start using their brain. This is year 2010, if brain does not work then simply look at other country's and copy it like a monkey<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You mean Thailand is not like any other civilized country in the world? I find this amazing. Amazing Thailand.

do you see many prisoners in say USA, UK, Canada, Aus, NZ , Swiss etc with massive chains strapped around their legs?

<br /><br /><br />

You try not scratching your balls when they itch. Do you only do it when you are off work? LOL

I myself have to agree with the article all though to be honest keelhauling some people has a certain appeal to it.

I was raised with manners, so no i do not scratch my balls while infront of the camera's or in court, nor do i scratch my balls when dealing with customers or business partners(in this case prisoners) nor do i pick my nose out of boredom.rolleyes.gif

do you see many prisoners in say USA, UK, Canada, Aus, NZ , Swiss etc with massive chains strapped around their legs?

Yes indeed. Regulations for the US Marshal Service require leg-irons to be placed on all prisoners during transportation, in hospitals, and during court appearances.

Yes indeed. Regulations for the US Marshal Service require leg-irons to be placed on all prisoners during transportation, in hospitals, and during court appearances.

Slightly different chains :)

they just woke up now the red Brit was judged; plus he wasn't given ptotection socks (white socks) nor clean clothes , but revolting stinking rags not fit for human use .Barefoot to boot I think. This insult to GB and the whole Farang community , in the light of this new emotion and the photo with the dainty socks, smacks of downright racism . The Brit might have behaved more civily had he been given decent clothes .

Edited by souvenirdeparis

they just woke up now the red Brit was judged; plus he wasn't given ptotection socks (white socks) nor clean clothes , but revolting stinking rags not fit for human use .Barefoot to boot I think. This insult to GB and the whole Farang community , in the light of this new emotion and the photo with the dainty socks, smacks of downright racism . The Brit might have behaved more civily had he been given decent clothes .

The nice prison clothing, lightweight shackles, etc. used in Europe haven't found their way to Thailand yet. What you've seen is what all (most?) prisoners wear. In due time this will change, but with all other problems it may take awhile. It maybe even be that some laws and regulations need to be adapted before things can change. In the mean time try to stay out of prison here :lol:

The nice prison clothing, lightweight shackles, etc. used in Europe haven't found their way to Thailand yet. What you've seen is what all (most?) prisoners wear. In due time this will change, but with all other problems it may take awhile. It maybe even be that some laws and regulations need to be adapted before things can change. In the mean time try to stay out of prison here :lol:

PS I thought it was the Brit Mr. Jeff Savage behaving reasonably, better than his name suggested (ignoring the crying part for a moment, lack off stiff upper lip, bad show old chap). It was the import Aussie who had an attitude problem.

Slightly different chains :)

TIT, Here proper etiquette of prisoner treatment was taught by watching HBO and Cinemax. These guys were lucky that they were not rolled into court ala 'Hannibal Lecter'.

Well I for one agree with this article do believe chains and keel hauling should be put in the past.

There you go again, trolling away... Okay, I'll bite. You stop the prisoners escaping with cells doors, guards, successive prison walls, more guards, barbed wire, and more guards. Been to a Thai prison? Good luck getting out of there in one piece with anything but a jet-pack.

They slap these chains on prisoners without hesitation - anyone with a sentence longer than (I believe) 20 years gets them. All lifers and guys on death row have them. It is positively medieval, but nothing new there. The Thai prison system is nasty and violates many rules of international agreements to which they are signatories.

By your rationale Piengrudee, which presupposes that there is only one way to stop alleged criminals escaping, if the standard practice to prevent escape was to nail prisoners' pelvises to coffee tables, and someone proposed that they stop doing this, you'd wonder how on earth they were going to contain these people.

I was raised with manners, so no i do not scratch my balls while infront of the camera's or in court, nor do i scratch my balls when dealing with customers or business partners(in this case prisoners) nor do i pick my nose out of boredom.rolleyes.gif

If you want to be an outcast in LOS, its up to you. :)

As for me, I try to assimilate into Thai society. :rolleyes:

I imagine the prisoners are placed in these kinds of restraints due to a recognition that there is no competent police force to otherwise prevent (perhaps they'd even enable) their escape. It's a pity both ways.

Edited by lannarebirth

Well I for one agree with this article do believe chains and keel hauling should be put in the past.

What's next? Putting alleged criminals in jail is inappropriate too?

Lot of fun grudee???

What about ratchadee? See you mondee

What's next? Putting alleged criminals in jail is inappropriate too?

In line with your question, the answer would be 'just shoot them, solves the problem'. If you think that's stupid, read your question again. <_<

Discussion closed.

Edited by rubl