Maxnet/3Bb Limiting Internet Access In Thailand

phpbangkok

Well I have been waiting 5 days for the 3bb engineer to sort out my problem...here for 2 mins "router hang" and off he goes.

Great I think until I try to play Guild Wars and they seem to have blocked the port for that now :(

He may be coming back ...one day I suppose

Any chance that True would be better?

I am on the 3mb premier package but for the same price could get True's 6mb

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the True 12mb package seems pretty good but never switching over as had problems with them before.

after switching over to 3BB 10mb never had problems and they always send the techs down whenever requested.

Edited by spacemunk

My service has gone downhill also. I'm on 4MB premier and it's acting like their 4(now 5) MB "indy" service. They seem to be choking my torrent downloads big time. They advertise to use their Premier service for torrents. Of course their tech support is no help. Wish we have True in my area.

Edited by prism

New plan :

I am going to change from 3Mb premier 1166 b to the new 8Mb at 888b...fingers crossed

Oh and I think I killed the router trying to open the port so changing that too ;)

Edited by MickA

You could has piss-poor wiring in your building letting you down. Don't be so quick to blame your ISP unless you've checked everything.

A lot of you with poor performance could be far from the exchange too. Have you tried to find out?

I'm generally happy with 3BB. The only major gripe I have is that all ports are closed at source, so no port forwarding.

I've never had a problem with decent down speeds with reliable torrents. A torrent with only a handful of seeds is always likely to be slow.

New plan :

I am going to change from 3Mb premier 1166 b to the new 8Mb at 888b...fingers crossed

Oh and I think I killed the router trying to open the port so changing that too ;)

Please report back your experience. I'd be interested to know how the two stack up against each other.

http://www.3bb.co.th...?pkg=premier5mb

looks like my premier packed is not more on the website, and 28 July they start upgrade 4 mbit to 5 mbit, so maybe the problem today has something to do with these upgrades.

I finally got fed up with TOT in Pattaya and believe I've put up with it for a long time. Last month I printed out 3BB's offer of Premier 3Mb @ B1090 per month shown on their website. Went in to see them and it is no longer available to new subscribers. Now they offer all the Indy crap and one premier service: 5Mb @B2500 per month.

If I actually believed they might deliver that level of service 24/7, it would be too expensive but almost worth it. I suspect that it will gradually deteriorate and you'd end up stuck paying B2500 a month for something like the old dial-up service in the not too distant future.

The TOT service I had for a few years was fairly good. At least it was operating most of the time. Then when they offered an upgrade in service and a drop in price. I agreed to that and it's gone steadily down hill. Now I sit by the computer waiting for those times when the Internet is actually accessible.

This morning I started downloading a podcast. Recently those have taken 3 to 6 hours. This morning it predicted 88 minutes. Of course after a few minutes the connection dropped. When I was eventually reconnected iTunes predicted the same podcast would complete downloading in 43 hours.

When I started typing this I had obviously managed to connect to the Internet, but now the connection has been lost ... no it's back ... no it's gone again. How is it TOT can spend millions on a new office in Pattaya and to buy all those new orange TOT pickup trucks and it can't even manage to maintain the most rudimentary Internet service??

Edited by Suradit

That was an exercise in futility :(

I am now getting the runaround... 6 staff at 3bb no speak English the 7th transferred me to Chonburi...no speak English but engineer will call.:rolleyes:

On Monday I shall be sending it all back :realangry:

Will see if True are any better :whistling:

Just to confirm here in Chiang Mai 3bb/Maxnet has no https access all day.

Helpline don't know what an https page is.

Mine was working okay here in Chiang Mai. 3B's recently put in a new cable so l do not need to use a telephone line and so far everything is working ok and a lot faster than before

Okay! The engineer came this morning and turned the router on and sorted out the connection.

I now have 8mb up and 256 down but the game would still not play :(

Went to port forward site followed their instructions and set up the ports...still no joy

I then disabled the firewall in the router...works for me! :)

A very bad idea.

The router firewall is your first line of defense against potential intruders.

If you're thinking about getting a new router, get one that's equipped with a broadcom chipset.

So that worked for 10 minutes :(

Thinking about changing router from their Huawei?

Any suggestions?

the thing i did was buy a wireless router and bridged the 3bb Huawei router and port forwarded in my linksys. can max my 6mb connection out downloading and no problems with port forwarding.

Just been to 3bb to upgrade my 6mb to 8mb and is cheaper. there is post about how to bridge the Huaweii on here about 6 months ago. search huawei smartax mt880.

Edited by sammycic

A very bad idea.

The router firewall is your first line of defense against potential intruders.

If you're thinking about getting a new router, get one that's equipped with a broadcom chipset.

Not as bad as placing the comp in DMZ or setting UPnP on. The NAT operation of the router is already a natural firewall. Just need proper port forwarding.

If you can I would recommend the True 16mb Premium product. Really is the best available in Thailand. (Unless you are in one of the 50mb locations). True have the most international bandwidth of all the Thai providers.

I have the 8Mb package and it is great not just the speed but it does not go down

True throttles bittorrent now so it's not "better" by any measure unless all you do is chat and use youtube like 99% of Thai people.

Not happening where I am at in Pattaya

Well as my browser activity and email is all fine then they are just hitting upload/download activity which is generally called throttling to slow your speed down. Also as previous posters have mentioned they appear to be closing certain ports so you cannot do certain activity such as playing online games. I now have to ask why I am paying for a 10MB connection just to browse the internet !! If you go into the office they won't give you the truth anyway.....I have never had a straight answer from any ISP in Thailand for the 4 years I have been here. 'It must be your modem' :realangry:

Mine is all back in it's box to be returned Wednesday. I am using wireless in the condo for mail etc and my phone for gaming...slower but at least they have not f**ked with that....yet :(