Crustacean Frustration

mellofello

Had a taste for some fresh prawns today so took Sven's map to locate what seemed like a promising lead in the prawn farm. Watwainakhai road was easy to locate off 1211. The map clearly puts the prawn farm near the end of this road on the right.

After 45 minutes of back and forth on each and every soi we gave up.

Nice adventure for certain with rice paddies and nice views of sleeping lady mountain but no prawns. My crustacean frustration has me yearning for some large prawns on the barbecue. Anyone know where I can obtain a couple kg of these tasty fresh water critters?

The wife is telling me that there is a farm/restaurant close by Wang Chai or closer to Teng. I'll get the details and post them. She says you can buy live and take them home or they will prepare them at the restuarant. She has never been there but someone else told her about the place.

The wife is telling me that there is a farm/restaurant close by Wang Chai or closer to Teng. I'll get the details and post them. She says you can buy live and take them home or they will prepare them at the restuarant. She has never been there but someone else told her about the place.

There are a few good ones out thoeng way, but suspect there are a few good ones closer by also.

There are a few good ones out thoeng way, but suspect there are a few good ones closer by also.

I'll give my wife a call and see if she knows of a place close by. We're at Wiang Nuea

Okay. Just looked up the location that you reference in your post. That is a restaurant that we frequent often enough. I didn't know the name of the road it is on. But they are famous with Thais in CR for their parwn dishes and with good reason. You order so many kilos of prawns and then tell them what dishes you want them in. They do a good job there.

I have never heard it referred to as a prawn farm, though. The Thai name of that restaurant Song Boa Kung. They order their prawns in fresh every day but they don't produce any.

Anyway, I'll get back here with better info for a prawn farm.

I looked at the map key. Prawn Farm and Prawn Restaurant are actually both the same restaurant, as far as I can tell and neither one of them are located correctly on the map. The restaurant is actually right at the end of the road or street, Wat Mai Na Khai 3, not the main Wat road. So, from 1211, take Hong Lee towards the river until you get to Wat Mai Na Khai 3, turn left, go to end, you're looking at it. Just proceed into the long driveway in front of you, instead of turning onto the main road left or right. Restaurant is at the end of that driveway, on the left, parking on the right.

Also keep in mind, By Heart Restaurant and Guest House is on Wat Mai Na Khai 3, on the right about halfway between the prawn place and Hong Lee. Great place for lunch or dinner and you can order mashed potatoes and gravy with several of their western style dishes.

LOTS of edits here.

Edited by kandahar

That about does it then, Thanks for the answers. I will go out again with the knowledge that it is a restaurant not a farm. I do recall passing a restaurant earlier but incorrectly assumed a prawn farm would at least have a rough image of a prawn or a prawn farmer :<). Thanks for the directions and corrections guys you were all helpful. My cholesterol will be high before midnight!

The farm the wife is telling me about is out jubby's way. Theung. Not sure exactly where that is. But she is told that is where the prawns at the Prawn Restaurant come from and is where most of the prawns sold in CR come from. She says if you stop near that town and ask, anyone you talk to will be able to point you in the right direction. So, maybe jubby has better details.

To get to the prawn farms in Thoeng, go straight through the town and after about 1km take the small road to the right.

They are about 3km along this road.

Enjoy.

Thoeng sounds like the source for all the fresh crustacean's, I do like to go to the farmer so that I can keep the chain of delivery under cool control! Will take the big cooler & blue ice and make a day of it. This thread has become very informative, so to all I send a hearty thanks.

I have put a place marker on the map under the title: Shrimp Farm/Restaurant in Thoeng. I'm pretty certain that is the location. It looks right anyway. :unsure:

VF Your newly placed flag is where I saw the restaurant and actually pulled in and did a U turn. It was closed at 2pm like any good restaurant should be, it looked clean and spacious. We will definitely go for an evening meal.

To get to the prawn farms in Thoeng, go straight through the town and after about 1km take the small road to the right.

They are about 3km along this road.

Enjoy.

Thoeng sounds like the source for all the fresh crustacean's, I do like to go to the farmer so that I can keep the chain of delivery under cool control! Will take the big cooler & blue ice and make a day of it. This thread has become very informative, so to all I send a hearty thanks.

No need for a cooler Box mellofello. They'll cook/Barbecue a couple of kgs for you there while you Chill yourself. They usually have a restaurant & the usual Bamboo Huts/Platforms overlooking the prawn ponds. They do other food too, and Beer ofcourse ;)