Degree Needed To Teach In Thailand?

lucy

hi, just need some advice, as i dont know where to start! im thinking of moving to thailand from the uk, and hear that jobs are few and far between, i was thinking of teaching english, but i have no degree, and no teaching experience. i work in manufacturing as a quality control technician. (10 years) or could i get work in this field?

is it possible to do a course that would enable me to teach with out a degree, and how hard would it be to geta job?

any help, or possitive suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

You will need a bachelors in some area in order to get a work permit. Tesol is required at many schools. With no experience and no degree if you can land a position it won't pay squat! be careful....don't get caught working without a work permit! As far as jobs available....they always have openings somewhere.

Unskilled labor is reserved for Thai's and you will not be able to obtain a work permit, besides the fact that the pay would be about 7k baht a month! In order to obtain the w/p you need to have skills that are not available in the Thai work force. I would stay where you are....save your money and holiday in LOS!

It's always lots of fun to watch two very-low-post-count-posters-that-I'm-simply_sure_are-not-the-same-poster having a dynamic conversation about a dodgy, controversial topic here in the teacher's room, even though it happens so often. Well done, you two! Keep it up!

"Steven"

Not really sure what you're talking about, the poster asked a question and I gave the best advice I know. With regards to being a "New" poster may very well be the truth, However be assured that I am NOT new to the Thai life style. I'm new because I just moved back to the States after living a long time in Thailand. I never posted until recently due to the fact that my THAI wife and I have two small daughters and never had the time to read and reply to posts in an internet cafe with two screaming kids! Maybe next time before you make yourself look foolish.....find a few facts!

:D

Okay okay...I'll jump in just to bring my posting count up. :D

Anyway, many countries - not just Asian - are moving towards the 'degree' standard for work permit and work visa qualifications. Not exactly meritocracy. Which is funny because it allows those in demand with work experience backgrounds to charge five times the price for consulting and other services. Not so great if you want to teach, but if you are in the right industry it does have it's benefits. You just end up with a different visa classification in many places. I haven't seen this in Thailand - yet.

However, if you do happen to find a company that truly wants you, they, the company, can make application on your behalf using your resume and track record to prove your 'expert status' in countries like China, Malaysia, Singapore, etc., ...I haven't seen this in Thailand - yet.

If you are planning to make a jump to South Asia, why don't you just work a few more years, do some night classes and pick up a BA in something or other. It would make your transition easier and, undoubtly, make you a better teacher if that is what you think you may end up doing.

:o

You will need a bachelors in some area in order to get a work permit. Tesol is required at many schools. With no experience and no degree if you can land a position it won't pay squat! be careful....don't get caught working without a work permit! As far as jobs available....they always have openings somewhere.

Err no you don't always need a degree or a TESOL/TEFL/TESL to get a work permit. I know people that have got WPs with just a TEFL, or just a degree, or just nothing. It all depends on who, what and where you're teaching. Also qualifications comparable to a degree (for example a HND) are also accepted in place of a degree. Not easy to get a WP without a degree (well it is kind of, but the schools generally can't be bothered to find out how to do it, or actually do it), but certainly possible (do a search there's a long thread about it in here somewhere).

I also know people without a degree and with minimal experience that have landed good jobs.

Thailand it the land of uncertaintities.....what works for one, might not work for the other etc.

Heh heh heh... it's always possible my cynicism is unfounded, but unlikely- we have had a lot of odd threads in the last few days. If I missed the mark, apologies in advance, but time will tell...

and from reading some of your other current posts, I don't think I'll have to make good on that apology, either....

"Steven"

Edited by Ijustwannateach

And why was this incorrect information...Is this not the protocal for English teachers?

I really don't feel that I have been out of line here compared to other posters! I was giving advice to be helpful not cause a stir in any room.

I can't help but smile reading all this series of threads... One poster who isn't and doesn't want to ever be a teacher with plenty of advice for those who are or want to be! Way too much time on their hands!

Good on yer "Steven" 'n' ken

I never posted until recently due to the fact that my THAI wife and I have two small daughters and never had the time to read and reply to posts in an internet cafe with two screaming kids!

you are so f'in cool. does anybody else here have a THAI wife? has anybody else here been in Thailand for a year?

Why are so many forums on the net full of tossers so up themselves because they have a high post count?

Does being a chronic self opinionated nit picker who can't keep thier fingers off the keyboard make them any better than someone who would rather reserve thier opinions for important things?

The only thing a high post count indicates to me is that the said poster has a LOT of time on thier hands (and probably something IN thier hand).

Get a life people ! ... but you give me a laugh though.

Edited by Gumleaf

QUOTE(Ijustwannateach @ 2005-07-06 17:43:04

)

It's always lots of fun to watch two very-low-post-count-posters-that-I'm-simply_sure_are-not-the-same-poster having a dynamic conversation about a dodgy, controversial topic here in the teacher's room, even though it happens so often. Well done, you two! Keep it up!

"Steven"

Wow! .. if sarcasm, disdain and feelings of superiority due to a "High Post Count" (everyone cross yourselves and murmer religious quotes under your breath) were a virtue .. then I nominate you as "Teacher of the year"

Edited by Gumleaf

Always glad to help out- it's spelled "murmur," by the way- and oh, two's company but three's a crowd- it's not as much of a challenge that way, either.

Reel em in! .. I caught one! .. The judiciously placed intentional spelling error is the best bait in this forum! .. So predictable .. :D

PS .. Yes, it's me Gumleaf .. I know you moderators banned me (Well dr Pong did , but you supported him) .. but I suppose I'm just a little more clever than you guys. (The reason you banned me in the first place)

:D