Real Inequality In The Thai Society

webfact

I could understand dismissing the views of "journalists" who parachuted into Bangkok for the riots and straight back out. But to dismiss the views of a serious journalist who has made himself into a Thailand expert (language ability, Thai friends and sources, frequent time spent in country even when based out of country), well, that just seems silly. I doubt if there is anyone who could change your beliefs no matter what kind of case they presented.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

# Most Thais fail to understand the profound impact WWII + Soviet communism had on the European mindset.

Perhaps you should also consider the profound impact WWII + Chinese communism had on the Thai mindset?

It also goes to the fear and respect attached to the scrambled egg on ones white military jacket.

I once went to the photographers shop for a permit photo and asked if I could wear one (They have velcro on the back for quick removal-one size fits all)

He politely informed me I could not as I was not thai. Fair enough then. I personally think all the uniforms should come with velcro on the back for ease of removal when the need arises :whistling:

# Most Thais fail to understand the profound impact WWII + Soviet communism had on the European mindset.

Perhaps you should also consider the profound impact WWII + Chinese communism had on the Thai mindset?

It also goes to the fear and respect attached to the scrambled egg on ones white military jacket.

I once went to the photographers shop for a permit photo and asked if I could wear one (They have velcro on the back for quick removal-one size fits all)

He politely informed me I could not as I was not thai. Fair enough then. I personally think all the uniforms should come with velcro on the back for ease of removal when the need arises :whistling:

Communism? - Europe??

You might want to look at post WW2 policies of USA rather than Europe and their subsequent effects on Thailand.

Their has always been a huge Chinese influence in Thailand - one way or another but communism remained legal pretty much everywhere in Europe - post war paranoia by the States was the dominant influence on all of South East Asia. and Thailand was no less a part of this than any other country in the region

Edited by Deeral

I could understand dismissing the views of "journalists" who parachuted into Bangkok for the riots and straight back out. But to dismiss the views of a serious journalist who has made himself into a Thailand expert (language ability, Thai friends and sources, frequent time spent in country even when based out of country), well, that just seems silly. I doubt if there is anyone who could change your beliefs no matter what kind of case they presented.

If you refer to Marshall, which I assume you are:

The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Totally regardless of where he is born, what languages he speaks or how much time he spent in Thailand or anywhere else,

he simply doesn't write like a serious journalist. No third party viewpoints, no sources, opinions masked as facts etc.

I would say he is showing almost the full catalogue of journalistic shortcomings that are so common everywhere in media these days,

in Europe, the US and here - and possibly everywhere else. Using emotional, simplified punchlines and generalisations

DOES make it easier to sell news to people who don't analyse what they read - like fast food chains, but for news,

but it is not good journalism.

Any criticism in this thread on Marshall's article has actually been based on its content and not on his personal background.

So, I honestly don't see your point. Should his background make him serious even though he writes like an ass ?

I would say: No.

rolleyes.gif

If you refer to Marshall, which I assume you are:

The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Totally regardless of where he is born, what languages he speaks or how much time he spent in Thailand or anywhere else,

he simply doesn't write like a serious journalist. No third party viewpoints, no sources, opinions masked as facts etc.

I would say he is showing almost the full catalogue of journalistic shortcomings that are so common everywhere in media these days,

in Europe, the US and here - and possibly everywhere else. Using emotional, simplified punchlines and generalisations

DOES make it easier to sell news to people who don't analyse what they read - like fast food chains, but for news,

but it is not good journalism.

Any criticism in this thread on Marshall's article has actually been based on its content and not on his personal background.

So, I honestly don't see your point. Should his background make him serious even though he writes like an ass ?

I would say: No.

rolleyes.gif

talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

On the one hand...

According to a report by the Krung Thep Turakij Newspapers, at least 40 ministers from the four governments since the Thaksin administration to the current Abhisit administration own more than 100 rai of land each.

Uraiwan Tienthong is at the top of the list, as she is owning 1,886 rai of land while 90 percent of the Thai population does not even own one rai of land. This is merely one of the examples of those who must submit their lists of assets to the National Anti-Corruption Commission for a review.

There are still many more individuals and politicians who have intentionally failed to disclose all of their assets. This means that the social inequality is a chronic problem, not something new as some may have been led to believe.

On the other hand...

In January 2007, the Financial Institution Development Fund complied with an Assets Examination Committee request to file a charge against Thaksin and his wife over their purchase of four 772 million baht plots of land from the FIDF in 2003. The charge was based on alleged violation of Article 100 of the National Counter Corruption Act, which prohibits government officials and their spouses from entering into or having interests in contracts made with state agencies under their authority.

So, by any other name, what are we saying here? Did someone we know about simply not do it the right way, and offended the government, instead of the people?

So, take it from the weaker ones, who cannot fight back, and avoid picking a fight with the ones who have power?

And since the weaker people are not the "State Agencies" under these Minister's authority, I guess that makes it ok to add / edit / or delete the needed paperwork in order to get that land. Yeah; that must be the way it's done.

Go figure!

Edited by cup-O-coffee

You think they could at least find the funds somewhere for cosmetic issues. Is cement really that expensive that Bangkok has to look like Baghdad compared to SGl/HK/JP? Many areas of Thailand are in desperate need of being beautified.

Edited by David9988