Thai Public Health Ministry To Strictly Control Alcohol And Cigarette Consumption

webfact

Public Health Ministry to strictly control alcohol and cigarette consumption

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Public Health Ministry has instructed all provinces to be strict on the consumption control of alcoholic drinks and cigarettes in order to lower the number of newcomers, also to set up the international center on alcohol consumption control.

According to the survey in 2007 of the National Statistic Office (NSO), Thai citizens of earlier age have been involved in alcohol and tobacco consumption which is a cause of illness and death particularly from cancer.

The Public Health Minister thus issued an instruction to the Department of Disease Control to work with local agencies to strictly enforce the Tobacco Product Control Act B.E.2535 and the Non-Smokers’ Health Prevention Act B.E.2535 as well as the Alcohol Beverage Control Act B.E.2551.

Another policy of the Ministry is to set up an international coordinating center in prevention and control of alcohol consumption as it will be a channel of information exchange in related matter and laws among countries. Meanwhile, all health service centers are targeted to achieve the 100% smoke-free area within 2011.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-07-29 footer_n.gif

Set up the 'International control centre' , WOW________"Beautifull dreamer , waken to me "

At least it is not to be called "The hub of alcoholics " , they cannot control Thai alcohol consumption so they decide to try it on a world wide scale , plus do the same thing with tobaco .

The only way to even make an attempt at either is to put a total ban on both products _______MMMMMMMMMMMM

That has been attempted before and failed miserably________________mmmmmmmmmmmm

Restrict the sale of both by government run and controlled establishments__________mmmmmmmmmmmm

Leave it to the police to sort out , kill 3 birds with one stone , besides which they need the extra money because we do not pay them enough .

Problem solved 555______________LOL

By "international control centre", perhaps they mean that they will be coordinating with Saudi Arabia regarding some helpful procedures and standards regarding "prevention and control of alcohol consumption" in Thailand?

I'm sure the USA could also provide them with some advice and background regarding how well prohibition worked there when they tried that.

This is where if I was so inclined that their would be a whole row of laughing, beer swilling emoticons. A press release that typifies the Thai style of tackling any problem. Thailand is the "hub of confusion" evidenced by the zombie like tourists dropping smack in the middle of a dry two day holiday this week. Hilarious!

Press releases like this really do highlight the naivety of Thai politics. First, how do you legislate on how much people drink and smoke. Sure you can reduce the opportunity of doing so by banning smoking in designated areas and forbidding the sale of alcohol on public/religious holidays, but that is a mere drop in the ocean. Why not raise the taxes on cigarettes by say 200%? That would send shock waves through the cigarette smoking community and not only encourage them to stop and improve their health, but improve the health of those around them who don't indulge:bah:. As for trying to reduce the consumption of alcohol - this is nigh on impossible and seems to have become a world wide issue. I think the Government would be far better employed in making sure that drivers have driving licences, kids of 10 years of age are not riding motor bikes along the main roads, people are wearing crash helmets when riding motor bikes and they drive down the right side of the road. That would save a huge cost on medical bills!:unsure:

Well why not? Better to try to spend money on this one than to waste money on new low flying blimps or bomb detectors or engineless APCs.

Every single smoker less in this world and every drinker less makes the world a better place.

This would be one of the very few things of this government that would help rather than help to destroy.

Press releases like this really do highlight the naivety of Thai politics. First, how do you legislate on how much people drink and smoke. Sure you can reduce the opportunity of doing so by banning smoking in designated areas and forbidding the sale of alcohol on public/religious holidays, but that is a mere drop in the ocean. Why not raise the taxes on cigarettes by say 200%? That would send shock waves through the cigarette smoking community and not only encourage them to stop and improve their health, but improve the health of those around them who don't indulge:bah:. As for trying to reduce the consumption of alcohol - this is nigh on impossible and seems to have become a world wide issue. I think the Government would be far better employed in making sure that drivers have driving licences, kids of 10 years of age are not riding motor bikes along the main roads, people are wearing crash helmets when riding motor bikes and they drive down the right side of the road. That would save a huge cost on medical bills!:unsure:

some fair points but not sure i a like the tax hike concept on cigi's. at least thailand can currently afford to try to restrict smoking and alcohol consumption where as i wonder, in these post financial mess, if the western world can.

should we continue to tell others how to run their life though?

International? Will we have to prove we don't drink or smoke to get a visa? I don't do ether but would be hard pressed to prove it at immigration.

I think hang gliding is not good for ya, it should be controlled between the hours of 2PM and 5PM. :jap:

Typical Thai government response to a serious problem. Got to give themselves some jobs to make it look like they are doing something effective but it won't make any real difference.:rolleyes: It's a cultural problem that requires a completely different attack. Legislation and it's lax enforcement or even strict enforcement won't change anything, especially if the attitude of the people want something like alcohol and fags.

They'd be far better improving education, employment prospects for the much unskilled labour here and reducing the gap between rich and poor! Whooa, wait on did I say reduce the gap between rich and poor? Crikey, shoot me now; shouldn't I say keep the rich rich and allow even more opportunities for exploiting other poor Thais or illegal immigrants from across neighboring borders? Then they wonder why they have problems with rebel groups like Red Shirts or Southern insurgents:ph34r:. Never solve the real problems, always skirt around issues just in case someone loses face in power somewhere along the line. Don't worry that someone will get shot later or bombed in some riot later on from allowing issues to boil over, ahh but we must save face, more important. :blink: Let's just worry about when people cannot buy drinks between 2 pm or 5 pm or should we make it 2.15 pm to 10.13 am or some other incredibly constructive idea! Go Thai government, you're on the ball with this one guys!:sleepy:

I wonder if this means further restrictions on the hours alcohol can be sold and new hours during which tobacco cannot be sold. Neither has the faintest chance of success, as the restricted hours for alcohol sale have proved. Some official wants some publicity, someone decides on a media release and no-ne realises how stupid it all is. If the government is serious about reducing alcohol consumption, the tax system has to be changed so that hard liquor is taxed, as in most other countries, at a much higher rate, and the tax on beer and wine reduced accordingly.

• Like 1

This is where if I was so inclined that their would be a whole row of laughing, beer swilling emoticons. A press release that typifies the Thai style of tackling any problem. Thailand is the "hub of confusion" evidenced by the zombie like tourists dropping smack in the middle of a dry two day holiday this week. Hilarious!

Why tourists there is enough going on all around us - EVEN WITH THE THIAS

'Wozzit' timestamp='1280388678' post='3781407']

I wonder if this means further restrictions on the hours alcohol can be sold and new hours during which tobacco cannot be sold. Neither has the faintest chance of success, as the restricted hours for alcohol sale have proved. Some official wants some publicity, someone decides on a media release and no-ne realises how stupid it all is. If the government is serious about reducing alcohol consumption, the tax system has to be changed so that hard liquor is taxed, as in most other countries, at a much higher rate, and the tax on beer and wine reduced accordingly.

Just another one of those fools who think tax on alcohol should be increased and tax on beer and wine reduced .

Do you honestly believe there is no alcoholic content in those two items ?

Wozzit all about , Alfie ? It's about ALCOHOL , no matter what form it comes in , they all get you pie-eyed and unable to think clearly if you consume too much , had your fill I have to believe .

Set up the 'International control centre' , WOW________"Beautifull dreamer , waken to me "

At least it is not to be called "The hub of alcoholics " , they cannot control Thai alcohol consumption so they decide to try it on a world wide scale , plus do the same thing with tobaco .

The only way to even make an attempt at either is to put a total ban on both products _______MMMMMMMMMMMM

That has been attempted before and failed miserably________________mmmmmmmmmmmm

Restrict the sale of both by government run and controlled establishments__________mmmmmmmmmmmm

Leave it to the police to sort out , kill 3 birds with one stone , besides which they need the extra money because we do not pay them enough .

Problem solved 555______________LOL

Cynically put but your point well taken. What worries me is the open drunken behavior of members of the police force and the military.

This week for example in Sattahip, Chonburi a Military Policemen shot a Chief Petty Officer. Sailors in particular are seen at impromptu

parties drunk out of their minds. In which condition many drive back to their base. Doesn't help one to feel safe.

Why not raise the taxes on cigarettes by say 200%? That would send shock waves through the cigarette smoking community and not only encourage them to stop and improve their health, but improve the health of those around them who don't indulge

Indeed, why not raise the taxes on alcohol by say 200%? That would send shock waves through the alcohol drinking community and not only encourage them to stop and improve their health, but improve the health of those around them who don't indulge.

Or do you like a drink, so think that's not such a great idea?

Self-righteous, holier-than-thou hypocrisy is an option. It's not mandatory.

God preserve us from the zealots...

Why not raise the taxes on cigarettes by say 200%? That would send shock waves through the cigarette smoking community and not only encourage them to stop and improve their health, but improve the health of those around them who don't indulge:bah:.

And of course this would very much encourage a very lucrative black market on smuggling of cigarettes.

The other point is that I resent zealots who want to "improve my health". I don't smoke, but if I did I want to have the right to. As for improving the "health of those around them", smoking is banned in public places in Bangkok, and I don't object to that, but what's left to affect my health from second-hand cigarette smoke? I'm sure my health is orders of magnitude more threatened by inhalation of diesel exhaust in Bangkok.

Care to suggest some measures to send shockwaves through the diesel engine community?

Typical Thai government response to a serious problem. Got to give themselves some jobs to make it look like they are doing something effective but it won't make any real difference.:rolleyes: It's a cultural problem that requires a completely different attack. Legislation and it's lax enforcement or even strict enforcement won't change anything, especially if the attitude of the people want something like alcohol and fags.

They'd be far better improving education, employment prospects for the much unskilled labour here and reducing the gap between rich and poor! Whooa, wait on did I say reduce the gap between rich and poor? Crikey, shoot me now; shouldn't I say keep the rich rich and allow even more opportunities for exploiting other poor Thais or illegal immigrants from across neighboring borders? Then they wonder why they have problems with rebel groups like Red Shirts or Southern insurgents:ph34r:. Never solve the real problems, always skirt around issues just in case someone loses face in power somewhere along the line. Don't worry that someone will get shot later or bombed in some riot later on from allowing issues to boil over, ahh but we must save face, more important. :blink: Let's just worry about when people cannot buy drinks between 2 pm or 5 pm or should we make it 2.15 pm to 10.13 am or some other incredibly constructive idea! Go Thai government, you're on the ball with this one guys!:sleepy:

Maaaaaate! I know the feeling, no matter what others say I still think you're rational! (just a joke son!) Thailand can send you ga ga without even trying....it's just the irrationality of it all....don't they realise that they look like idiots? All we need to do is to have a "Bex" and a nice lie down!

By "international control centre", perhaps they mean that they will be coordinating with Saudi Arabia regarding some helpful procedures and standards regarding "prevention and control of alcohol consumption" in Thailand?

I'm sure the USA could also provide them with some advice and background regarding how well prohibition worked there when they tried that.

It doesn't work in Saudi, when I was last there you could buy 1 1/2 litres of pure alcohol (sediki) for 150 Riyals (about 25 GBP or 37 USD) if you knew a contact. Other than that we used to make our own beer and wine from grape juice, non alcoholic beer and bakers yeast.

My wife here tells me that her father used to distil his own spirits before Laokow became cheaply available. There is no way they can restrict alcohol because it is in the Thai culture and they will adapt to feed their addiction.

You want to see real riots? let em try to ban or curtail either. NOT content to run the whole country and keep the majority stupid and poor (schools that don't teach, good business gigs need connections) they want the largest group in the country to what? sit and watch rice grow? What's next? tax on babies?

And of course the elites will have access to all the booze and smokes they can want.

It doesn't work in Saudi, when I was last there you could buy 1 1/2 litres of pure alcohol (sediki) for 150 Riyals (about 25 GBP or 37 USD) if you knew a contact. Other than that we used to make our own beer and wine from grape juice, non alcoholic beer and bakers yeast.

My wife here tells me that her father used to distil his own spirits before Laokow became cheaply available. There is no way they can restrict alcohol because it is in the Thai culture and they will adapt to feed their addiction.

Yea, my grandparents make a small fortune during the prohibition days making and running non-bonded moonshine. Called 'shine' for short it can be brewed to come out as pure grain alcohol. Bottom line is that folks will drink anything and there is allways someone there who will provide. Now, this doesn't solve any problems, just thought I would add this little tid-bit of information. Next round please....

Are current regulations not designed to increase the sale, and presumably also the consumption, of alcohol? I understand that for a specific period in the afternoon you are not allowed to buy only one bottle of wine or beer in a retail outlet, you must buy a certain minimum quantity. What are the exact details of this campaign to increase the sale of alcoholic beverages? Is it between 2 and 4 pm, minimum 20 litres?

Raise the price of cigarettes by 200 percent? Smugglers from Cambodia or Laos would bring truckloads into Thailand and zero taxes would be collected.