The Samui Gazzette

FYI, I have been told by the gazette publisher, that ex Express staff, were only there for 3 months.

In my opinion, getting back to having 2 newspapers on the island, might smarten things up a bit, competition might be the needed incentive.

Yes, I have a copy and it's only 18 Baht. Paper quality very good but same old <deleted>. I hope they can improve? :rolleyes:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can view it online now

http://thesamuigazet...TE-07312010.pdf

miles better than the Samui Express

Had a glance through it yesterday and thought that the layout, content etc. was pretty good. I think that it will give

Samui Express some strong competition.

I do hope that it doesn't end up giving too much space to the photos of poseurs and luvvies at freeloading drinks parties and yet more hotel opening nights. There are God knows how many magazines doing this.

Some investigative journalism would also be welcome. There are a lot of issues and stories on these islands which could be excellent material for anyone with the courage to lift up the stones! ;)

Had a glance through it yesterday and thought that the layout, content etc. was pretty good. I think that it will give

I do hope that it doesn't end up giving too much space to the photos of poseurs and luvvies at freeloading drinks parties and yet more hotel opening nights. There are God knows how many magazines doing this.

Some investigative journalism would also be welcome. There are a lot of issues and stories on these islands which could be excellent material for anyone with the courage to lift up the stones! ;)

Well said, but you might say the same thing about Samui Channel ! :angry:

Well said, but you might say the same thing about Samui Channel ! :angry:

Oh geez, the Samui Channel. :rolleyes:

I wasn't expecting non-stop hotel & restaurant commercials when I first tuned in. What a disappointment.

great the samui express is bas enough as it is. now it has half it staff missing with another newspaper which will be under stafed. maybe can staple the 2 newspapers together might beable 5to get a full 2 pages or samui news and not those 2 american babling in the middle pages about stuff that nobody cares about.

notices allot happening in samui. yet not much in the papers. most if the rubbish in the express is about news ourside samui. sorry but bangkok post is better. even bangkok post posts more stuff about samui that the local paper lol

great the samui express is bas enough as it is. now it has half it staff missing with another newspaper which will be under stafed. maybe can staple the 2 newspapers together might beable 5to get a full 2 pages or samui news and not those 2 american babling in the middle pages about stuff that nobody cares about.

notices allot happening in samui. yet not much in the papers. most if the rubbish in the express is about news ourside samui. sorry but bangkok post is better. even bangkok post posts more stuff about samui that the local paper lol

Big C, have you read the latest Gazette? Not the one on line, but the hard copy? The Express is not missing half their staff either.Why don't you write a column? I'm sure you will put all the other bablers or contributors to shame ;)

Just let us know, what" Nom de plume "you will be using.

Big C, have you read the latest Gazette? Not the one on line, but the hard copy? The Express is not missing half their staff either.Why don't you write a column? I'm sure you will put all the other bablers or contributors to shame ;)

Blimey! if BigC wrote a column, they better have a really good proof reader........:lol:

Blimey! if BigC wrote a column, they better have a really good proof reader........:lol:

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

The latest copy of Samui Gazette has just 6 pages of a 26 page issue that contain anything that concerns Samui ! The Island's Newspaper ?

I had a copy in my hands just yesterday and felt it absorbed the chip fat much better than the old Samui Express.

The latest copy of Samui Gazette has just 6 pages of a 26 page issue that contain anything that concerns Samui ! The Island's Newspaper ?

I had a copy in my hands just yesterday and felt it absorbed the chip fat much better than the old Samui Express.

Ouch I'm sorry sorry sorry. Of course I meant Sanui Express . They've addled my brain, I'm losing it !

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

na would just bother to use a spell checker. Also if half the staf are not missing then why do they miss about 90 per cent o the news on the island. the monkey scratch's his head ???

One of the boners that caught my eye was the following in the story about the oil drilling protests:

"An expert said that the five to six proposed blocks for drilling are on the sea current path to Samui, that is following the wind path of the northeast monsoon from China Sea. 'Samui people and tourists will smell the smelly oil as part of their daily life.'"

Aside from the Thaigilsh which has not been copy edited, as a general rule, those commenting on a issue must be identified and many serious publications frown on the use of the the word "expert," since it has little meaning (what constitutes being an expert on something?)

More to the point, the idea that anyone would smell oil is laughable. Besides the fact (as I understand it) that the drilling in question is for natural gas, oil and gas is not sloshed around in some big open vat or shipped in open containers. In same way that you don't smell petroleum around an oil refinery, you would never smell anything around a well.

Also, what is this business about the northeast monsoon?

The occurrences of winter season cold air outbreaks cause high pressure to extend eastward over coastal waters off the China mainland. Strong winds turning anticyclonically around this eastern extension of high pressure and the associated weather is referred to as a Northeast Monsoonal Surge (NEMS). These surges produce strong, steady, northerly to northeasterly monsoon winds along the East Asian coast near Sakhalin Island, across the Sea of Japan, the Yellow Sea, the East China Sea, the Philippine Sea and into the South China Sea.

-- http://www.nrlmry.na...soon/index.html

This means the winds are blowing away from Thailand, and I am not even sure that this has a significant effect on the Gulf of Thailand.

This isn't reporting; it's story-telling.

One of the boners that caught my eye was the following in the story about the oil drilling protests:

"An expert said that the five to six proposed blocks for drilling are on the sea current path to Samui, that is following the wind path of the northeast monsoon from China Sea. 'Samui people and tourists will smell the smelly oil as part of their daily life.'"

Aside from the Thaigilsh which has not been copy edited, as a general rule, those commenting on a issue must be identified and many serious publications frown on the use of the the word "expert," since it has little meaning (what constitutes being an expert on something?)

More to the point, the idea that anyone would smell oil is laughable. Besides the fact (as I understand it) that the drilling in question is for natural gas, oil and gas is not sloshed around in some big open vat or shipped in open containers. In same way that you don't smell petroleum around an oil refinery, you would never smell anything around a well.

The occurrences of winter season cold air outbreaks cause high pressure to extend eastward over coastal waters off the China mainland. Strong winds turning anticyclonically around this eastern extension of high pressure and the associated weather is referred to as a Northeast Monsoonal Surge (NEMS). These surges produce strong, steady, northerly to northeasterly monsoon winds along the East Asian coast near Sakhalin Island, across the Sea of Japan, the Yellow Sea, the East China Sea, the Philippine Sea and into the South China Sea.

This means the winds are blowing away from Thailand, and I am not even sure that this has a significant effect on the Gulf of Thailand.

Who are you quoting? Which paper? Can you please ad link.

Who are you quoting? Which paper? Can you please ad link.

It doesn't mean the winds are blowing away from Thailand. It means exactly the opposite.

FYI, I have been told by the gazette publisher, that ex Express staff, were only there for 3 months.

In my opinion, getting back to having 2 newspapers on the island, might smarten things up a bit, competition might be the needed incentive.

:( Hope the Gazette is not slipping already. Here it is 10th August and I still can't download the August 6 edition ?

:( Hope the Gazette is not slipping already. Here it is 10th August and I still can't download the August 6 edition ?

Can't afford to buy one Crusty?:D

Less sales+less advertising= no paper......and yet still they complain!

where can you buy one? ... i havent seen it for sale in 7-11 or family mart yet....

where can you buy one? ... i havent seen it for sale in 7-11 or family mart yet....

I think they have them at Big C & Makro or Tesco at one of the stands. Still working on the other outlets I would say.Call them.

Edited by Rooo

They are being offered free of charge, complimentary, no-charge, at present. You can get them at Subway in Lamai, Starbucks and most hotels.

Nope ! they haven't been to my hotel yet and as Boater says, havent seen them in any of the 7/11's or Family Marts either ! Who goes to Big C anymore anyway ? :rolleyes: