Motor Racing - This Weekend At Bira Circuit - Pattaya

chav

Just a note to let all you Motorsport Fans know that the 3rd Round of the Nitto 3K racing series is this coming weekend at Bira Circuit Pattaya.

There will be a wide range of classes running including Rear wheel, Retro, Pick-up and the usual range of Front wheel driven cars.

It’s always a good day out and nice to see something different (plus there is beer on sale).

Qualifying Saturday morning heats Saturday afternoon (31st July)

Continuation of heats on Sunday (1st Aug)

If any of you feel like cheering our EBC brakes BMW No.30 can always do with some support.

post-2082-092703900 1280376372_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So how would one go about getting a test in your BMW? It seems if it's that well sponsored might be a good idea to have the best possible driver in it to show it in the best light, maybe that's you and maybe that's someone else? Or what about a test to demonstrate skills and talent and then a deal to build another car and support it?

Comprehension problems again T/A? Where does it say that exactly?? Quote please?? It isn't there but it's still likely, I know many people who lack self confidence resent people who do and are only prone to make snide comments while sitting in their desk chair at a key board. Of course if the opportunity to prove such is denied that's the easiest way to claim other wise but I still put my cards on the table, poker instead of hollow words anyone??

Edited by WarpSpeed

Comprehension problems again T/A? Where does it say that exactly?? Quote please?? It isn't there but it's still likely, I know many people who lack self confidence resent people who do and are only prone to make snide comments while sitting in their desk chair at a key board. Of course if the opportunity to prove such is denied that's the easiest way to claim other wise but I still put my cards on the table, poker instead of hollow words anyone??

I think us readers can draw our own conclusions to the written word. :)

PS. Do you like my spell check, good eh, you should download, give readers the right impression eh.

Are you drunk again or just rambling to yourself?? Seems so...... Ahhh here's the problem....

Edited by WarpSpeed

I think us readers can draw our own conclusions to the written word. :)

PS. Do you like my spell check, good eh, you should download, give readers the right impression eh.

Are you drunk again or just rambling to yourself?? Seems so...... Ahhh here's the problem....

now now children, lets all get along!!

back on topic, if my car wasn't getting some work done i would definately go check it out.

What class is the beamer racing in? and who is the driver, thai or farang?

good luck anyway

D

M

I think the OP must be desperately trying to change his race number and car by now, worrying about competition is one thing but what spectators might turn up and say Hi i'm ................ must be really screwing him uplaugh.gif.

I think the OP must be desperately trying to change his race number and car by now, worrying about competition is one thing but what spectators might turn up and say Hi i'm ................ must be really screwing him uplaugh.gif.

:cheesy: What like, ' l'm a considerably better driver than you so push off and sell hotdogs ' ( not me though ):)

I am sure Chav will be quicker in his own car than the spectator referred to, after all his BMW is RHD bah.gif

Good luck Chav, if you are competing in any races in November - January I will be in LOS and would love to come along and watch.

Nice to see that you are all have competetive egos - if any would like to hit the track to see how well you perform out there I would be pleased to build a car for you.

As for testing - The BMW is already well proven thanks.

An answer to another question - I am Ferang

As for the results

F5A (Open rear wheel drive)

Qualified 5th

Heat 1 2nd

Heat 2 2nd

F6 (Retro Euro)

Qualified 3rd

Heat 1 1st

Heat 2 1st

All in all a brilliant weekend despite being shunted up the rear by my pit mate in his 2JZ E36.

All in all a brilliant weekend despite being shunted up the rear by my pit mate in his 2JZ E36.

EBC brakes I presume....... ;):P So just curious, how many cars in class?

BTW T/A just let me know when you'd like to put your money where your wise arse mouth is and make it real, left drive, right drive, center drive, your choice... Bring the biggest V8 you have as I seriously enjoy taking the hot air of chaps like you with any small bore I drive, got videos and still photos of me doing it numerous times what proof do you have?? A still of you all in perfect line on a track day which could be anybody?? :rolleyes::lol: I offered to meet and have a beer and then I could show you but you never responded and still just like to take cheap shots which shows your real character & maturity that you might have to eat your wise remarks when confronted with the reality.

Just so you know Chav it ain't about ego it's about confidence that EVERY top racer has, if he doesn't have it and believe he can beat ANY other driver he isn't a racer and has no business even being out there unless driving for fun laps ala T/A, nothing to be defensive about nor to be criticized for, it's what makes competition in every sport.

No need to build me a car I'm more then capable of doing it myself and much prefer to based on the competition cars I've seen over the years and the details overlooked. I just wanted to see if you were a team first kind of guy as those guys look to put their best to the task and think about their own personal goals secondly and also value a second opinion as there's no way of knowing just how good you or your car is until you put another top driver in the seat..

That's why I had the top, multiple series Champion works driver for VW/Porsche/Audi in America co-drive with me, I went to the top first and no one else previously, that takes brass ones and confidence to know someone of that level could potentially humble you so badly in your own car. The end result was he set a new track record in my VW and I then reset it the next day but his comments were that my VW was the best handling VW he had ever driven and that includes his works cars and he wasn't just being courteous as he is the type that will tell you up front otherwise, not bad for a privateer. If anyone doubts that, I have the in-car video and still photo of him smiling from ear to ear post race to prove it but will only show in person and not post.. Also have the official results as well but that won't be displayed anywhere as it has names on it..

Congrats on your finishes, hope to be out there in the future mixing it up though likely in a different class but with something a bit less costly and more original.. Well it may not be less costly the way I build em but it will be original...

Chav builds cars and races them for hobby, most of us do. We get the kick out of driving our cars and winning or finishing high comes after that. The Motor racing scene in TH is absolutely not on a level that teams put drivers in cars to win, with the exception of Toyota Artos and maybe the Red Bull boys.

Chav has facilities where he can build for others, which might be very helpful Warp if you start your own car, since there always are some things you need to get done or some equipment and facilities you might need. Access to parts is one of them.

The E30 class is a great group of guys, relatively cost efficient and competitive. For most of us (all of us) this is just hobby and social fun.

H

EBC brakes I presume....... ;):P So just curious, how many cars in class?

BTW T/A just let me know when you'd like to put your money where your wise arse mouth is and make it real, left drive, right drive, center drive, your choice... Bring the biggest V8 you have as I seriously enjoy taking the hot air of chaps like you with any small bore I drive, got videos and still photos of me doing it numerous times what proof do you have?? A still of you all in perfect line on a track day which could be anybody?? :rolleyes::lol: I offered to meet and have a beer and then I could show you but you never responded and still just like to take cheap shots which shows your real character & maturity that you might have to eat your wise remarks when confronted with the reality.

Just so you know Chav it ain't about ego it's about confidence that EVERY top racer has, if he doesn't have it and believe he can beat ANY other driver he isn't a racer and has no business even being out there unless driving for fun laps ala T/A, nothing to be defensive about nor to be criticized for, it's what makes competition in every sport.

No need to build me a car I'm more then capable of doing it myself and much prefer to based on the competition cars I've seen over the years and the details overlooked. I just wanted to see if you were a team first kind of guy as those guys look to put their best to the task and think about their own personal goals secondly and also value a second opinion as there's no way of knowing just how good you or your car is until you put another top driver in the seat..

That's why I had the top, multiple series Champion works driver for VW/Porsche/Audi in America co-drive with me, I went to the top first and no one else previously, that takes brass ones and confidence to know someone of that level could potentially humble you so badly in your own car. The end result was he set a new track record in my VW and I then reset it the next day but his comments were that my VW was the best handling VW he had ever driven and that includes his works cars and he wasn't just being courteous as he is the type that will tell you up front otherwise, not bad for a privateer. If anyone doubts that, I have the in-car video and still photo of him smiling from ear to ear post race to prove it but will only show in person and not post.. Also have the official results as well but that won't be displayed anywhere as it has names on it..

Congrats on your finishes, hope to be out there in the future mixing it up though likely in a different class but with something a bit less costly and more original.. Well it may not be less costly the way I build em but it will be original...

' Bloody hel_l ' top works driver that must have cost big $$$ how much exactly? and how did you swing it with the competition departments at Wolfsburg / Stuttgart / Ingolstadt for their top driver to handle a non factory approved (or was it?) vehicle. We are all(well maybe not) dying to know so spill the beans .

Edited by kartman

Chav builds cars and races them for hobby, most of us do. We get the kick out of driving our cars and winning or finishing high comes after that. The Motor racing scene in TH is absolutely not on a level that teams put drivers in cars to win, with the exception of Toyota Artos and maybe the Red Bull boys.

Chav has facilities where he can build for others, which might be very helpful Warp if you start your own car, since there always are some things you need to get done or some equipment and facilities you might need. Access to parts is one of them.

The E30 class is a great group of guys, relatively cost efficient and competitive. For most of us (all of us) this is just hobby and social fun.

H

Warp will have to get clearance first from Immigration (see his other thread) before he can start building a car so you might have to wait a while before he joins you.

H

Warp will have to get clearance first from Immigration (see his other thread) before he can start building a car so you might have to wait a while before he joins you.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see that you are all have competetive egos - if any would like to hit the track to see how well you perform out there I would be pleased to build a car for you.

As for testing - The BMW is already well proven thanks.

An answer to another question - I am Ferang

As for the results

F5A (Open rear wheel drive)

Qualified 5th

Heat 1 2nd

Heat 2 2nd

F6 (Retro Euro)

Qualified 3rd

Heat 1 1st

Heat 2 1st

Chav,

Congratulations on the results! Just curious- what do you reckon is a budget to build/acquire a competitive racer and maintain it for a year's worth of a full racing schedule? Doesn't have to be the quickest class but should be a strong contender.

Cheers,

Crash

Hi Crash,

This is obviously a very open question which will be sure to generate some comments.

For entry level I would allow 300k for the car just to get on the circuit (in very basic but safe trim).

Then another 2 - 300k for ongoing mods and running costs.

The money pit will then grab you and spiral out of control until you give up counting.

Some customers choose this route and other go straight in at the 700 - 900 k mark before they hit the track.

If you are genuinly interested you are welcome to drop by and see us.

Hi Chav

I'm in the middle of building/restoring a classic BM 02ti. I want it to be a road car suitable for track days and occaisional classic racing. What services can you offer ? Chassis work, shell prep, fuel cells etc and where is you business located ? If you don't wish to post the info a PM would be fine..

Cheers Daz

H

Hak I respect your posts and opinion because you return same. But this post is just rubbish, I've heard this fallacy on more occasions over the years then I care to discuss. Even hobby racers are keen to improve their cars and their skills if possible to get the best result and have as much fun as possible correct? Why wouldn't they want to? I've been an instructor over the years and that's always been the impression of those who seek to be competitive. That's not possible to do however if you have no real idea what is lacking because 1) the car builder has no idea what is lacking or 2) the driver has no idea what is lacking because of limited driver feedback, the only way to be certain is to put another equally or more qualified driver in the seat to evaluate and measure both ones ability and ones equipment against.

Typically my suggestions are being taken as insults or arrogance where as they should be taken as constructive criticism and advice being offered for free by one who knows...

Secondly I never mentioned anything about costs or any fees to be charged, I was offering the possibility of just testing a car in which I could not only get some much needed track time but as well hush the clueless, though antagonistic masses who have nothing else of importance in their pitiful lives as well as ultimately establish myself in the racing community as someone not to be so easily dismissed and berated. No cost was mentioned and I never expected to get anything in spite of the fact that a fee would be customary in normal situations as you eluded to.

The suggestion was that when I prove myself worthy that a discussion could possibly ensue about building something more substantially lucrative as it's certain that a winning driver and car combination will bring in more income from aspects such as promotional, more customers wishing to have their own cars built and track side support etc.

Again no insult intended but winning in a class with 1 or 2 cars is not in any way a measure of that especially in this market with the very limited talent to compete against, nor is outspending your competition in an open class such as was done with buying a Porsche for example that no locals could possibly compete against (that's not reference to you it's reference to another top driver here in Super Car who has unlimited budget and influence apparently)..

Do companies not typically hire the employee or partner with a partner that will most increase their profits and notoriety? If it is possible to put one's delicate ego aside for a moment (again generally speaking, not any specific reference) the bigger picture is about establishing a customer base which includes promotional and just because one limits themselves to being just a hobby driver exclusively doesn't mean their entire operation has to be limited to hobbyists or hobby driving. In any situation as a potential employer or partner which would you rather associate with in such a competitive sport? A meek door mat of a driver who has zero confidence, will never question anything and no concept of tempered aggression who will get eaten alive and intimidated by any driver that shows them the slightest bit of aggression or a driver who not only is confident but one who will take positions instead of giving them up so easily and as well provide information that will move the program forward and gain it more notoriety? Let's be realistic here, that's a rhetorical question..

If they don't have the ability or personal desire to move to a higher more lucrative level independently then an association of the type I'm proposing does provide that ability and not to recognize that opportunity when one is already involved in the sport is myopic and short sighted thinking and not opportunistic. Ultimately it can more then compensate for not only the additional drivers car but their own program as well and then some with the proper formula.

It's amazing to me due to being egocentric how many people can not recognize this concept which is really no different from any other business concept instead they'd rather continue to pay out of pocket and never realize any substantial income from it. Except that it requires at least one first rate driver/engineer to make it a reality but every business hinges on at minimum one such person to be successful and few conventional business owners let their ego affect the decision to have such a person on their staff like they do in motorsports. More to the point they relish it, which is why so many who try, end up failing in the end at being successful at it as a business and then complain that no one can make money at it while being in denial about the world wide masses on all levels that do.. That most especially applies to anyone trying to promote a related product such as performance brakes or any such product, it's about building the business through association with a first rate program in motorsports not just an adequate one..

Hi Crash,

This is obviously a very open question which will be sure to generate some comments.

For entry level I would allow 300k for the car just to get on the circuit (in very basic but safe trim).

The money pit will then grab you and spiral out of control until you give up counting.

Some customers choose this route and other go straight in at the 700 - 900 k mark before they hit the track.

Hi Chav,

Sounds interesting. Where are you guys located? I'm out of Thailand at the moment but flying back in next week and would like to drop by.

A few years back I saw that there were several one-make races where (presumably) the inevitable money pit would be kept under reasonable control. Is it a relatively level playing field or can folks buy their way onto the podium?

All the best,

Crash

(ps- don't worry, it's only a nickname!)

Hi Crash,

Hi Chav,

Sounds interesting. Where are you guys located? I'm out of Thailand at the moment but flying back in next week and would like to drop by.

A few years back I saw that there were several one-make races where (presumably) the inevitable money pit would be kept under reasonable control. Is it a relatively level playing field or can folks buy their way onto the podium?

All the best,

Crash

(ps- don't worry, it's only a nickname!)

Since those series were my concept originally early upon my arrival here several years prior to their existence they are relatively level and cost effective which is why I proposed they begin them in the first place as there was no cost effective entry level series prior and their participation numbers were rapidly dwindling... The only classes available were expensive touring car classes with quite a bit of costly open mods permitted which did not provide any way for a novice driver to measure whether or not they had talent or were just budget short and/or technologically deficient..

Though there has been some farangs running somewhat successfully in those classes you're still always going to be under more scrutiny then a local sorry to say they can always find some way to restrict your competitiveness against the local talent. Having said that though I have quite few legal tricks to increase performance well within the confines of the rules but would make one stand out in the crowd having several years experience with these type of series both as a driver and as an engineer..

Since finding an edge is what is provided in the rules of given class if one is very thorough in evaluation of them one of numerous reasons I won't invest in an expensive touring car here is because as of the last time I asked they won't provide a translated version of the rules and require you to get it done yourself which is a big out for them since no 2 translations are alike making it very easy for them to claim you misunderstood especially where technical regs are concerned..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Short answer is that I haven't read it and don't intend to read any post you make as it has so much uninformed, antagonistic and derogatory BS in it that it is completely overlooked and always will be... When you begin to post with some respect and less bile I'll consider first off reading them and secondly a possible answer but not until, this is a one off not soon to be repeated.

Warpspeed your last two posts are very detailed can you do the same for a reply to my post No16 surely you haven't overlooked it have you ?.

I would take more notice of the very informative, knowledgeable and genuine people posting about the club racing scene in Thailand and beyond and not worry too much about the Walter Mitty of Motorsport mate wink.gif

Warp

Why don't you build a car and race it here and showcase your skills?

Then it would be more than just "hot air" on an internet forum

Perhaps you haven't done so well in life as you claim you did on the track and can't afford the 300K for an entry level car ?

Success is measured in many different ways.

There is something quite boring, pathetic and sad about people who "bask in the shadow of yesterdays glory", like old people and their war stories.

Cheers

Short answer is that I haven't read it and don't intend to read any post you make as it has so much uninformed, antagonistic and derogatory BS in it that it is completely overlooked and always will be... When you begin to post with some respect and less bile I'll consider first off reading them and secondly a possible answer but not until, this is a one off not soon to be repeated.

Warpy the only competition you are qualified to participate in and would win easily is a PANCAKE RACE.

Warpspeed your last two posts are very detailed can you do the same for a reply to my post No16 surely you haven't overlooked it have you ?.

i think his brain burnt out after writing that earlier thesis.......not that i could fathom what his point was

Since those series were my concept originally early upon my arrival here several years prior to their existence they are relatively level and cost effective which is why I proposed they begin them in the first place as there was no cost effective entry level series prior and their participation numbers were rapidly dwindling... The only classes available were expensive touring car classes with quite a bit of costly open mods permitted which did not provide any way for a novice driver to measure whether or not they had talent or were just budget short and/or technologically deficient..

Though there has been some farangs running somewhat successfully in those classes you're still always going to be under more scrutiny then a local sorry to say they can always find some way to restrict your competitiveness against the local talent. Having said that though I have quite few legal tricks to increase performance well within the confines of the rules but would make one stand out in the crowd having several years experience with these type of series both as a driver and as an engineer..

Since finding an edge is what is provided in the rules of given class if one is very thorough in evaluation of them one of numerous reasons I won't invest in an expensive touring car here is because as of the last time I asked they won't provide a translated version of the rules and require you to get it done yourself which is a big out for them since no 2 translations are alike making it very easy for them to claim you misunderstood especially where technical regs are concerned..

The first folks I saw who were doing a one-make series were the AIM Motorsports guys around 10 years ago. They had an arrive-and-drive junior series that was relatively affordable, though the various chassis/engine combinations were not as comparable as they could have been. And like you said, the rules were changed halfway through to benefit a certain someone whose family is very well known in racing and who wasn't performing as well as he wanted to during the series. So I dropped out before the end of it.

Even when I raced in the US there were always people looking to get a one-up. Factory engines will always have a difference in performance and a 2% difference in HP over the course of a race makes a huge difference. So folks would purchase multiple engines and use the strongest for racing, the others for testing sessions. As people used to say, "all cars are equal, but some are more equal than others..."

Anyhow, it's not something that would dissuade me from racing again. It's not only about winning but also about the whole experience. I can't go to a track without getting the overwhelming urge to jump back behind the wheel, even if it's the slowest bucket of bolts out there.

The first folks I saw who were doing a one-make series were the AIM Motorsports guys around 10 years ago. They had an arrive-and-drive junior series that was relatively affordable, though the various chassis/engine combinations were not as comparable as they could have been. And like you said, the rules were changed halfway through to benefit a certain someone whose family is very well known in racing and who wasn't performing as well as he wanted to during the series. So I dropped out before the end of it.

Even when I raced in the US there were always people looking to get a one-up. Factory engines will always have a difference in performance and a 2% difference in HP over the course of a race makes a huge difference. So folks would purchase multiple engines and use the strongest for racing, the others for testing sessions. As people used to say, "all cars are equal, but some are more equal than others..."

Anyhow, it's not something that would dissuade me from racing again. It's not only about winning but also about the whole experience. I can't go to a track without getting the overwhelming urge to jump back behind the wheel, even if it's the slowest bucket of bolts out there.

Crash, your right. At the last circuit a very helpful chap who used to be involved in the DTM series was helping me with my corner weights. He said that the sealed engines that were sent back to the factory at the end of each race were 'distributed fairly' however he noticed that the wining team always had the same engines back - not so ramdomly distributed as the rules stipulated. These engines were as you say slighly better and gave the advantage they needed to stay at the top.

I beleive that the one make races running now are Honda, Toyota and Isuzu. I would guess you would have to buy one of the already built cars off someone moving out of the series.

But i dont think one make racing is cheaper then what we play in, like classic, or other fun categories. its more serious though.

Warp, your earlier reply to my "rubbish post", I want to stick to what i said. Think a lot of us are racing for fun, despite whatever, not because whatever.

if I could afford a two car team, i would put a good guy in my second car... simple as that, but I cant afford the second car.

Cheers

I have had many people ask me why I dont run in supercar, there are many reasons; starting with the fact I have no desire to drive FWD cars, this would then leave me with the Supercar class which is mega bucks. All of the people I race with (including me) go out there with the main aim of fun, how could we do it if we didn't enjoy it? I have other motives, one of which is to promote my business.

In the series I run in there would be no point really running a team and hiring drivers that would be additional cost outlay with little return compared to what we have already. By being an owner driver and reapeatedly getting the podium finishes, I get the maximum exposure in terms of PR.

The main reason for running Nitto 3K is the huge amount of track time I get and the number of classes I can run in - I dont bother with Superclub as it is hardly worth putting the car on the trailer fo one race.

It would be nice to think that I can grow my buisness enough to have a couple of million baht spare to run a supercar but for that I have to work very hard and the truth is the money would be better spent running TV ads.

I was interviewed by channel 5 TV at the last circuit, it was free and the feedback was great. At the time however I wasnt that bothered as fundamentaly I was there for fun.

• Like 2