Looking For The New Peplink 20 Or 30 Balance Model (Or Old Peplink 20W/30W)

newbegin4

Where did you buy yours? Locally or imported? How much? How about setup?

The ADSL connection is a regular phone line-type adapter, however, if I'm not mistaken, the Peplink accepts the larger RJ-45 connection? Any solutions (other than an intervening modem) such as some sort of phone cord to RJ-45* adapter?*

*Actually I haven't seen one of these units in person, so I'm assuming that the connections are indeed RJ-45.

Any other helpful hints or suggestions that would help me and others?

Just to help readers who don't know what the Peplink is (or what I'm doing), I'm trying to combine an ADSL internet connection and a Mobile internet connection (hence the need for the new model which supports the USB port or the old model W which also supports wireless). This is for redundancy reasons in the case of one connection failing the other takes over. Also it increases available bandwidth.

By the way, I might be interested in purchasing a used unit, if someone has one available.

Edited by newbegin4

First off - the Peplinks are routers. They are not ADSL modems, so you will still need a box between the Peplink and your phone line (assuming you have ADSL or similar). RJ45 are basically ethernet plugs, so you'll have an ethernet cable between the Peplink and you computer, and also between the Peplink and your ADSL modem.

I did purchase a Peplink 20W previously. I looked at local providers, but it worked out far cheaper to buy it direct from US, shipped to EU, and then carried by hand into Thailand (I travel back and forth a lot). As in about 40% cheaper. The local resellers here have very juicy margins (or import duties are massive).

I know that Peplink have some new models now. I'm actually now using a Draytek 9210n wireless router with load balancing. Clever device, N wifi, and cheaper than the Peplinks. Peplink does have a good name for load balancing however, and their support were top notch when it came to setting up their router for Cat CDMA modem. Draytek seem to have built a pretty solid reputation also.

If you're going for Peplink I'd buy the 30 model so you can load balance two ADSL connections. I believe it also supports USB for a 3g dongle, so you effectively have 3 lines.

First off - the Peplinks are routers. They are not ADSL modems, so you will still need a box between the Peplink and your phone line (assuming you have ADSL or similar). RJ45 are basically ethernet plugs, so you'll have an ethernet cable between the Peplink and you computer, and also between the Peplink and your ADSL modem.

I did purchase a Peplink 20W previously. I looked at local providers, but it worked out far cheaper to buy it direct from US, shipped to EU, and then carried by hand into Thailand (I travel back and forth a lot). As in about 40% cheaper. The local resellers here have very juicy margins (or import duties are massive).

I know that Peplink have some new models now. I'm actually now using a Draytek 9210n wireless router with load balancing. Clever device, N wifi, and cheaper than the Peplinks. Peplink does have a good name for load balancing however, and their support were top notch when it came to setting up their router for Cat CDMA modem. Draytek seem to have built a pretty solid reputation also.

If you're going for Peplink I'd buy the 30 model so you can load balance two ADSL connections. I believe it also supports USB for a 3g dongle, so you effectively have 3 lines.

Thanks for the clarification on the need for the ADSL modems. I've asked Peplink directly about the number of WAN connections for their Peplink Balance 20 (newest model). The aswer is, and I quote, "The Balance 20 does indeed have two Ethernet WAN interfaces and a USB port for a 3G connection, so a total of up to 3 connections." So I was pleasantly surprised (yes, I know their brochure seems to indicate only 2 connections - I guess they need to update it). At U.S. $295 that makes the Peplink Balance 20 the best deal in my opinion. It seems that the local reseller prices are over $400 so, if hand carrying back from the States, it is much cheaper (or at the worst break-even if you have to pay the full 40% customs duty). The tech support guy at Peplink that I spoke with on the phone said that they would work with me to write a driver for my USB modem at no charge (if it was not already supported). I thought that was indicative of great service.

I'll look into the Draytek nevertheless to cover all my bases. Does the Draytek support wireless connections via a USB port (as does the Peplink)?

Thanks for the clarification on the need for the ADSL modems. I've asked Peplink directly about the number of WAN connections for their Peplink Balance 20 (newest model). The aswer is, and I quote, "The Balance 20 does indeed have two Ethernet WAN interfaces and a USB port for a 3G connection, so a total of up to 3 connections." So I was pleasantly surprised (yes, I know their brochure seems to indicate only 2 connections - I guess they need to update it). At U.S. $295 that makes the Peplink Balance 20 the best deal in my opinion. It seems that the local reseller prices are over $400 so, if hand carrying back from the States, it is much cheaper (or at the worst break-even if you have to pay the full 40% customs duty). The tech support guy at Peplink that I spoke with on the phone said that they would work with me to write a driver for my USB modem at no charge (if it was not already supported). I thought that was indicative of great service.

I'll look into the Draytek nevertheless to cover all my bases. Does the Draytek support wireless connections via a USB port (as does the Peplink)?

Yep, the Draytek has 2 WANs and a USB port. You can only load balance any 2 of the connections at once however. The third can be used for backup/failover. Not sure if you can load balance all 3 connections with the new Peplink. Had I known the 20 model had 2 WANs and a USB I might have opted for it, but I also like that the Draytek has very good N wifi support. I have a lot of various boxes and phones running so wifi is a must for me.

Peplink have good support, and as you say they'll write custom drivers for your modem if needed. The Darytek cost £190 STG so wasn't bad value for a load balancing N wifi router.